Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2010 Flying Pig Open Options
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 1:52:16 PM

Is there any particular reason we are adding a bunch of holes to airy? I could see adding extra holes if we were way over 90 people but we arent even at 90 yet and already 6 extra holes to a course thats already too hard for most of the folks playing it ... whos behind these decisions?
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 2:51:28 PM

1. There are 80 + registered, maybe there will be 90 come tournament time.
2. If you look at the course maps, then you will see the added holes at Airy are not that hard.
3. The TD's (Andrew Miller, Dave Marlow) make the decisions with the input of others.
They add holes for tournaments like this because it's something different and fun for tournaments of this caliber.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 2:55:09 PM

Doubles at the Nati Pro shop start at 5 pm. We will have the 24 holes ready
Small portion of entry going to the EDGE program.
heading up there now to finish some course work, ciyas there.
perica
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 2:57:59 PM

I'm pretty sure the decision was made a while ago when they decided to cap the field at 120. I thought the main pig page used to note that it was 24 holes on each course but I could be wrong.

I think once you make a decision like that, going back on it is tough to do ... the fact that there are 24 holes can be the deciding factor for some people. So it wouldn't really be fair to them to just arbitrarily remove the temp holes if the field doesn't fill completely.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 5:51:40 PM

Im not talking about going back on anything that was posted. I was just wondering who made the decision .. if its a club thing or personal thing or what .. so maybe next time it comes around time to plan the pig .. others opinions can be expressed. I for one am of the opinion that even though they are not tough holes .. its an extra 12 holes of golf at the end of the day .. and 2 rounds at airy are hard (physically and mentally) enough for any caliber of tourney.  If the field is so huge and un manageable .. split it.. am 1 and open at one course .. am 2 , am 3  ect    at the other.   Just opening up discussions here ..

You never see a ball golf tourney with extra holes added. .
I understand adding diffrent holes like the temps at harbin.. but we have also traditionaly cut the dinkers out and still play 18.
So flame on for all those who cant wait to flame ..

woottebs
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 7:08:20 PM

its been posted for a while that this would be the format used. if you didn't like it, you should'nt have signed up. People complained a lot last year about how things were ran also. I think its pretty lame to get on here and just complain about something that is the result of a lot of hard work and planning on the TD's part. If you don't like it, don't play, or atleast, dont *****. And what does ball golf have to do with anything?
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 8:00:45 PM

whos complaining? .. im bringing up a logical point and providing valid reasons for said logic .. i realize hard work goes into planning and logistics for tourneys .. but while we are on that subject .. isnt it a helluva lot more work to set up 6 extra baskets and remove them ..
just once it would be nice to play the pig with the courses as they are meant to be played .. my 2 cents .. like it or love it.
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 9:05:52 PM

You're the reason it's hard to find people to run tourneys.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 10:55:40 PM

Player's Meeting at 8:30 Tomorrow Morning at the Shelter

92 players registered but we will be accepting walk up's so that may not be the final count

To answer Dave's question the people that make the decision are the tourament directors and volunteers that put the work and countless hours into the tournament. For example, I spent 26 hours on brochures, letters, and presentation desing for sponsorship, 12 hours going door to door seeking sponsors, 6 hours of course work, 8 hours on registration, and I haven't seen my wife in the last week due to catering to people's needs and trying to collect money from those who do not use Paypal...but that's what it takes to put on a tournament of this caliber. Those that are involved with the tournament were selected/volunteered during a player's meeting last year. Many peoples inputs were gathered during the deciison making process and we plan on extending our "voice of the customer" collection plan in future. Feedback is a gift.

92/4=23 Cards on 24 holes....."If you build....they will come-Field Of Dreams"

2Timer
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 11:54:39 PM

Thank you Andrew and everyone involved for everything you have done for this tourney..............it is going to be a great one...........
devilsfan.john
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 8:01:05 PM

Drew and all involved,
Thanks for a great, but very brutal day one. Tourney has run smoothly so far, the extra holes at Airy added to the flow of the course and actually helped me get a few strokes back from blowing up earlier in the round. Looking forword to tomorrow and Harbin, layout looks great, and the Safari final 9 playoff is gonna be SICK!
13ruce-1337
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:16:30 AM

Well Phil, I didnt know were had such a shortage of tourney directors willing to undertake the challenge. I thought as adults we might be able to express opinions without stooping to this type of behavior. That being said, I didn't point a single finger or say anything negative about anyone did I? I paid my money just like everyone else and that means I get to voice my views.  If you dont care for my opinion you could always counter with something intellegent instead of  reverting to 6th grade name calling.

I'm pretty sure you might have had a point but all I heard was "blah blah blah"

P.S.  Thanks Dave and Drew .. everyone I spoke to agreed..extra holes or not .. it was a great tourney.

P.S.S  Incase you didnt know .. Adam, Garret, Buff and myself .. cleared the brush and dug the tpads for the extra holes after old 11  two years ago. 
Then Scotty and I took the hand wacker and cleared all the grown up weeds around old 7 and 8 holes on Thursday.
So the next time you find the need to flame someoneyou should make sure they werent the ones breaking their backs doing the work.  What have you done for Airy ?
Liz
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 5:07:30 PM

Chad - didn't you DNF?
Phil Miller
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:18:24 PM

I guess I must have hit a nerve Chad.

I wasn't flaming you, I was just pointing out that TD's typically don't like to hear *****ing before the tournament  has even been played.

If you want to be involved in decisions show up and get involved. I don't think it was any secret that Dave and Drew were running this. Drew even posted his personal cell number. You could have called him and asked him rather than posting it here.

The message board isn't always the best place to address this stuff, messages are misconstrued people feel attacked and so on.

I have done my fair share of course work,wheelbarrelling, tree planting, garbage collecting.

I have spent my own money on Airy and other courses and have never asked to be reimbursed.

As a matter of fact, I stayed and help clean up today after everyone left.
Phil Miller
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:19:58 PM

P.S.S

Thanks to Adam,Drew and Dave and all the sponsors for making this a fun event.
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:32:24 PM

And the winner is?
devilsfan.john
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:37:01 PM

Phil Miller wrote:
P.S.S Thanks to Adam,Drew and Dave and all the sponsors for making this a fun event.

Agreed!
DanH
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:20:30 PM

mikekem wrote:
And the winner is?

+1

Someone end the suspense for me.
NKYgoalie
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 9:25:19 PM

Will Schusterick won
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:00:27 PM

Thanks Drew ,Dave and Adam ! My first pig. Great players pack and even better pay outs. Well ran tourney !!!!!!
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 10:42:55 PM

Thank you to all who participated in the 11th Annual Flying Pig. Round ratings are updated on the PDGA website, the winners of this year's Pig are as follows:

Men's Open: Will Schusterick
Women's Open: Liz Shooner
Men's Pro Masters: Pete Caldwell
Men's Advanced Grandmaster: David Frazer
Advanced Division: Drew Miller
Intermediate: Lawerence Justice
Recreational: Kelly Maupin

Special Thanks to:
Dave Marlow-Tournament Director
Adam Jones-Tournament Official
Tony Vincent: Volunteer
Alan Clore: Volunteer
Michael Sechrist: Volunteer
Dan Hollingshead: Website
Mike Kemner: Course Maps
The Shooners: Water & Coolers
Phil Miller: Volunteer
John Wright: Volunteer
Ken Donathon: Temp Basket
Jeff Eades: Temp Basket

And if I missed any volunteers I apologize and thank you for your help. Big events like these can't be done without volunteers.

Tee Sponsors & Financial Donors:
Jim Ferrara & Karen Farrell
Mark Perica
The Shooners
John Wright
Gerry Stricker
Brad Anderson
Wed Night Doubles Crew
Fundraiser Participants

Commercial Sponsors:
DGA, Innova, Discraft
Grip Equipment
The Nati
Disc N Dat
Benchmark Outdoor Fitters
Ameristop
Northside Tavern
MDX Excavating

Big thank you to the pro's that participated in the Final 9 and putting on an Aerial display at Harbin:

Will Schusterick
Tyler Horne
Brad Schick
Jeff Vandemark
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 7:31:11 AM

http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=10483&year=2010&include_ratings=1#Open

I belive we have a new record....11 people DNF?
Thanks go out to all those that helped make this a great tournament. from the volunteers to the sponsors and to all you players.
Anyone interested in getting involved with this annual tourny please contact myself or Andrew, we will be meeting to go over this one and start the planing for next year.
Special thanks to all those that bought EDGE raffle tickets.
nienaber
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:26:16 AM

sad I wasn't able to play this year but it sounds like it was a solid turn out. Congrats to the winners and to those running it, I imagine running a tournament of this magnitude is a great undertaking. Anyone else ready for our friend Kelly Maupin to put on his intermediate pants?

Honestly I am just messing, congratulations, I never won a tounrmanet in rec, it takes serious consistency regardless of your division!
Moses
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:29:56 AM

who won what in the raffles
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:44:53 AM

Great event altogether-Drew did a fantastic job making this happen. The layouts were great as well-getting to play unique courses is a real treat. I'd also like to thank that special 20% of the Advanced field who saw fit to not complete the three scheduled rounds. Your absence allowed me to cash-thus giving me at least the illusion of proficiency.