2010 Flying Pig Open Options
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:45:57 AM

Bad math...it was actually 25% of the field
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 12:21:10 PM

Moses wrote:
who won what in the raffles

They added a # of disc packages/hats/shirts....about tens drawings in total which was sweet. Brad Schick won first draw, 3...and 5th i think. He gave a few things away to people who didnt cash. I believe Tim Bretland won 2 "Phill Miller" custom dyes. I know for a fact that Jeff Eades won the grip bag that comes out in sept...a grip bag tag as well. Dont know the guy who won the basket....but that about sums it up. oh, and a nice umbrella....if u can call an umbrella nice.
Like during the final nine yesterdayhot 

about sums it up i think...

a big thank you to everyone that made this happen...an absolute blast, full of character and sharp competition. I learned more about disc golf this weekend than I have since I started playing. Its not "all" about throwing plastic.....

mike kemner....the maps were sweet.
Tim Tim
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 1:32:13 PM

Your welcome Ben ;) but seriously you were playing pretty darn good that last round man. Glad you made cash! Big thanks to Drew for puttin this tournament on and doing so well runnin it! I loved everything about it, except the way I was playing during it lol But that's my fault not yours. Glad everyone had a good time though, got to play with some cool people =)For sure I'll be at the next Drew Miller show hehe
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:30:25 PM

It was a great tournament, a job well done by all those that put in the time to make it so, again Thank you!

I met several new players and we had a great time. I look forward to next year!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:37:21 PM

Great job every one. I wanted to especially thank the ams for eating at the nati for lunch on Saturday. I bought enough hot dogs and hamburgers for 80 players and only 36 showed up(3 pros). Next year I will be donating product to the am division instead of money to the pro division since they don't seem to know where their sponsorship money comes from. Thanks again am players.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 9:09:03 PM

Fred and Blakely - I have your checks. Email me at caldwell32@fuse.net if you want me to mail it to you, or wait until I see you next. Fred - I already wrote the check, so you'll have to give me your $5 sidebet in person...so I can savor the experience.

Great tournament Drew, Dave, Adam, et. al.
Drew - I'll have the checks to the vendors in the mail tomorrow - Tshirts, etc.
Once you complete the PDGA TD report, let me know how much to pay the PDGA for the fees plus the non-member fees.
Good thing the Flypads arriving late didn't matter with the dry weather. The box of spikes and washers were delivered to my house on Friday - pads to Dave's on Tuesday.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:37:25 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Great job every one. I wanted to especially thank the ams for eating at the nati for lunch on Saturday. I bought enough hot dogs and hamburgers for 80 players and only 36 showed up(3 pros). Next year I will be donating product to the am division instead of money to the pro division since they don't seem to know where their sponsorship money comes from. Thanks again am players.

That's a hall of fame backhanded compliment!   sing

Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 11:52:27 PM

[quote=NEngle] 

That's a hall of fame backhanded compliment!   sing

Nick, It is what it is. Nothing's going to change unless players realize who's payin  their gas and beer money.  Disc golf won't go any farther than that for a while unless they start staying at hotels and supporting the sponsors.  We took names down to keep track of who ate lunch at the nati and I didn't see many active gcfda club members as well, td included.  !00.00 may not be a lot of money to your but  I don't think you're getting hit up by every tournament within 100 miles to sponsor their event.  Once it comes down to my life style and me being able to keep my employees employed I'm going to let you know it.    I don't think you want to go down this path.  It won't be pretty.  Hall of fame or not, it's a leisure activity for you but a business for me and I take it very serious, buster. lol

Caldwell, I've got your $5.00, in pesos.  Bagger.
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:27:53 AM

LOL wasn't Pete the one who wanted to combine Masters and Open? LOL sucks getting old doesn't it Petey?
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:23:01 AM

Fred, why don't you start by asking your sponsored players why they didn't buy a lunch? I would assume they, of all people, would be the ones who should be buying a lunch from you. Whenever I've planned for cooking lunches at Course Challenges, I estimate only 1/2 of the people will partake, that's just the way it is. Please don't berate people for a bad business decision.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:52:26 AM

I'd like to thank Jeff Eades for letting me use his ketchup and mustard on the metts that I grilled at lunch with Ben and Liz. It was a complete oversight on my part to forget condiments - but with Jeff's help, they really hit the spot. Mmmm, mmmm ... that sure was a good lunch.
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:11:20 AM

I bought a combo Fred, but honestly, it was not convenient or cheap to do so. 

Perhaps if they would have moved the grill over to the shelter where the tournament was being run, they would have had a bigger turnout.  It took us just as long to drive to the Nati as it would to go to a fast food joint.  I pity the people who had to walk there once the parking filled up…

Also price was definitely higher than what I would have expected.  Any gas station sells hot dogs 2 for $1 (so 50 cents a piece).  McDonalds or Burger King has a heck of a double cheese burger for $1!  A can of Coke is 50 cents and a bag of chips is even less.  Perceived value of this special combo was $2.50 or less.  You were charging $6???

There is a difference between supporting a local shop and driving/walking out of your way to get ripped off.

Look on the bright side Fred.  You have a lot of leftovers!  YUM!

Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:42:10 AM

Drew asked me to post the follwing for him. (He works for the evil empire and they have this blocked.)

“ The TD’s were busy during lunch, adding up scores, changing around cards, filling up coolers with Ice and drinks, and walking around holes and emptying the buckets of empty water and Gatorade bottles into garbage bags, selling raffle tickets, so on and so forth. However, we still did buy lunch from the Nati, we just sent Abby to buy it on our behalf. Personally, I was very appreciative of it, I woofed it down with 5 minutes to spare before the beginning of the second round and proceeded to shoot the best round I’ve ever shot-Drew Miller
Moses
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:51:11 AM

Thank you fred for the lunch i always enjoy not having to run off and find somewhere to eat for lunch. I know i enjoyed spending time with everyone that did eat there. i know one guy that didn't eat there b/c his daughter is picky and wont eat hamburgers or hot dogs.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:07:26 AM

The point I'm trying to make (in my own unorthodox way) is that disc golfers in general do not support their sponsors and the pros are the major culprits. For example I talked to Jigar from ameristop and he mentioned that only a couple of people actually stopped by his store for drinks or whatever. More may have stopped but they didn't mention that they were disc golfers or in the tournament.
(Drew, he mentioned something about a shirt.)
My apologies if I offended anyone especially the td's.

Liz, I didn't lose money so it was not a bad business decision. Hopefully tonight we will be able to raise money for the course improvement fund with the left overs. I'll have a talk with the team.
Erik, I will gladly refund your money. I had to pay an employee to cook for us. I didn't think it was that inconvenient. In hindsight it is a bit pricey.
Perica, you're a funny guy.
Have a good day.
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:12:17 AM

I would have loved to come down there for lunch, but unfortunately Becca doesn't eat hotdogs or hamburgers so I had to spend my entire lunch running her to Mcdonalds and fighting traffic and sitting in a drive thru......not fun!
Sc0rch3d
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:55:44 AM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=528066&l=c23949b182&id=100000015828618 ,,,,heres a pic of u driving at the 2009 distance comp fred. Its clear when u see the pic that u could have served lunch from over 450 ft away....maybe doing a 500ft roller burger next yr will be a fun way to attract business. You've seen my rollers, i can help! I enjoyed the lunch and always buy on sight if its available. AWESOME TOURNAMENT

tht wasnt a poke fred....was just tryin to lighten the mood with a laugh.

added note: I was going over airy in my head, almost every hole is roller friendly. Anyone down to shoot a round of tee-pad rollers at airy? warning...i rock when i roll, so bring it
Erik
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:24:47 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Erik, I will gladly refund your money. I had to pay an employee to cook for us. I didn't think it was that inconvenient. In hindsight it is a bit pricey.

Not looking for a refund at all.  I bought it knowing what I was getting.  It was a great idea, it was just limited itself by design.   You do alot for the sport.  Don't let a minor thing like this get you down.

I completely agree with you about disc golfers not supporting sponsors.  It is very sad.  I am sure the economy is part of it, but people tend to associate disc golfers for being cheap.  We need to try to change that mentality.

Rob J
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 10:31:56 AM

NEngle wrote:

That's a hall of fame backhanded compliment! 

Fred, (to your credit) you never were very good at GCFDA politics ...

matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 6:52:45 PM

why did I not support the sponsor by buying lunch at the pig?
I did not because of the menu. I like burgers and so fourth but very rarely eat them on tournament days, especially when it is hot. My stomach bugs me sometimes in the heat even when I buy light lunches let alone burgers and hot dogs. So the overall reason why I did buy lunch was because I did not want to feel bad the 2nd round while trying to compete.
JEFFV
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:28:43 PM

How about playing 2 rounds at mt. airy and 2 rounds at banklick (orginal course). I bet the field would fill so fast you would have to turn people away.
Moses
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 10:47:48 AM

sounds good jeff. i know i would enjoy that
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:59:06 AM

No one should have to apologize for their food choices. I like to picnic at my leisure, so I will bring lunch to tourneys whenever possible. You can't expect people to make purchasing decisions out of a sense of obligation...likewise, sponsors shouldn't have their sponsorships be nothing more than charitable donations.

I don't have the answers, but it seems that a place to start would be to widen the scope of who the sponsors are targetting for their business. Competing players are a relatively small % of those who play...only 30% of people who have ever had PDGA memberships are current members. This means that even among those who were fairly serious at one time, there is a lot of turnover. It also means that there are roughly 31,400 non-current members out there who likely still play in some form or fashion...plus those who have never played competitively. Tapping into this is the real challenge, but you'll have much higher numbers than if you rely on tournament players who already paid an (often hefty) entry fee. Do you think Titleist counts on Phil, Tiger, and Sergio to stay in business?
bbotte
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 10:07:06 AM

What is up with the pig not being reported to the PDGA yet, it's not in my rating update, and not in my stats? Results say "unofficial" on PDGA.com. Sanctioning Agreement states it is to be reported within 2 weeks of the end of the event. shrug

Anyone?

Fred,

another thing about your lunch, Air Conditioning, I wanted to go somewhere where it was cool. If you are in the restaurant business at events, your facilities are lacking for that. I expect hot waitresses, inside tables, comfortable chairs, air conditioning, and HDTVs, and a larger menu. If I were you I would stick to selling Gatorade and Frisbees until your new adddition is completed, I assume it is in the works since you are pretty upset about us Pro's not eating burgers for $6 in the heat on the other side of the course from tournament central. 
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 9:42:40 PM

Ben,
I sent the spreadsheet in about 8 or 9 days to Karen Kull after the tournament. Dgentry sent me an e-mail on October 15h informing me that the payout was not populated in the spreadsheet and additional clarity on who played what layout. I fowarded him the requested information on October 21st and called him this morning when I caught wind of your inquiry. The tournament results will be official within the next 2 to 3 days but unfortunately the rounds won't be included in the ratings until Dec. 14th. I apologize to all for the rookie mistake, I know how disappointing this is and all I can do at this point is reassure you that this will not happen next year.