Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Baskets stolen from Milford disc golf course Options
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:14:17 PM

6 baskets were stolen from the course Fri night. They also destroyed several tee signs.   All the work the park district did this week fixing and cleaning things only to have this happen, really doesn't represent a need for them to put in more courses or even replace these baskets. If anyone hears anything please contact the Milford police dept.  I filed the report with them Sat. evening .nono

Preacher
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 2:11:56 PM

This is extremely disappointing news. I just played there on Thursday evening for the first time. It was a good little course that seemed to draw quite q few people in the area to play. It was nice to have somewhere close by to play in the Milford area. I go to church in the Milford area so it was going to be a place for me to play some disc golf while in the area.
I am from the Fairfield area so I have plenty of courses to play but when I am in the Milford area there was nothing close by. Hopefully, they will be caught and the baskets returned. I am not sure how much those baskets cost but they are not cheap.
Maybe we(all the disc golfers) can start a fund to help replace the baskets. If all of us contribute a few dollars(maybe the cost of a DX disc) we can surely get enough for some new baskets. I really do not like a few people (basket thieves and vandals) ruining things for many people (all the disc golfers) and given disc golf bad publicity.
Hopefully, someone somewhere will hear these people brag or see them try to sell the baskets and inform the authorities. Furthermore, the park district may just say forget it and pull the course even if the thieves are caught because they might not want to deal with possible further issues. I will pray that this does not happen and the course will stay in the ground and other courses will be put up in the Milford/Clermont County area.
DanH
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:24:03 PM

So from what I understand, the baskets were installed in a different manner than normal. The round stands at the bottom were attached to the concrete with U-bolts, and then padlocked or something like that? Out of curiosity, how were the baskets stolen? Did they somehow defeat the U-bolts, and get the stand out? Or did they just manage to take the poles without the stands?
NKYgoalie
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:29:41 PM

The baskets had the round base attached to the s shaped metal hooks that were then attached to three ring bolts that were inside the concrete. Each basket had one master lock on one of the three ring bolts and connected the basket base and s metal hook to it. The thiefs cut through the master lock, as indecated as on each of the missing baskets the s hooks that were attached to the lock have a slight cut where the blade touched after going through the lock. They then after removing the locks managed to bend all s hooks and then free'd the basket. They walked away with six, so basically all the effort put into making disc golf possible in more milford parks is gone, and this park which was a work in progress to make better is also most likely done. It did last for about a month and a half though...
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:57:27 PM

I have played there and seen the baskets. So I am assuming they came with bolt cutters to rip away the baskets?
It was a well planned job not just a random act?
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:30:05 PM

The locks where actually cut by means of a dremel type of tool. (cutting blade not bolt cutters) . I don't think it was a ramdom act of local vandals cause they would have just destroyed them and left it that away. I and my son spend Sat evening with the Milford police and detectives. Hopefully these idiots left some prints on the pieces that we found thrown in the trees . I'm meeting hopefully with the park board Monday about the future of disc golf in Milford. They actually had 3 events already planned for us to do glow and other events at other parks as well . That could be over !!!!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:45:11 PM

WOW! this is just really bad. Did they cut up the baskets or just take them. Not like someone would not notice somebody with 6 baskets.
I hope this gets resolved and the events happen. Would LOVE to do a glow throw there. Almost went there to play Saturday night but were at Winton Woods and then played Countryside YMCA. I really hope for the best and these people get seriously taken care of by the law. That should
send a message to others, I hope.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:46:28 PM

So why did they go with this type of mounting? Did they plan on pulling during winter like some parks do for sledding?
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 10:48:11 PM

Yes and also so we change the course around if we wanted. FYI the glow was going to happen at Riverview (temp course )
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:05:34 AM

So to change the course, you mean they were planning on pouring other concrete bases to put these in and move them around?
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:55:21 AM

That's really sad. Keep an eye on Craigs List and ebay for the baskets. The thing that pisses me off is that Karl's widow donated those baskets after Karl died and then some POS had to come along and steal them. I hope these dbags are caught and prosecuted.
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 10:08:33 AM

I agree with preacher about doing what we can to get some more baskets put back in. I just feel bad for everyone that spent a lot of time and money to get that course up and running just to have some *&%$@! to come in and take it all away. I will pass the word along and keep my ears open.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 11:37:27 AM

This had to take some planning. I think they intended to get all 9. You don't just decide to steal 6. If you steal 6 why wouldn't you take them all? You would need a decent size truck or multiple trucks to take that many without drawing too much attention.
GIES2525
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 11:58:44 AM

Yeah, i agree Phil. Six baskets is a lot. You dont just walk up expecting to steal one, and then just keep going and getting six. It was thought out, and they where there to steal all 9 IMO. I dont think someone stole six with the intentions of selling them, because if thats the case you could just steal one at a time. (With a lot less risk of getting caught) Possibly stolen to put on private land is my guess. And to steal six BIG baskets, they had to of known the area very well, because this wasnt just a "grab n run" kind of job.
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 12:55:32 PM

What kind of baskets were they? I've only played the course once, so I forgot what kind they were.
discndat
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 2:26:13 PM

They were Lightning DB-5's. They have a portable round base on them. I posted something on the club page at PDGA today to get the word out to a few more people just in case anyone hears anything. PDGA Post
kenbowski
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 2:32:47 PM

Thank you! I have a thread posted on the Disc Golf Course Review  website to help spread the word.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21831
Erik
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 2:37:50 PM

This is ridiculous… The course has only been open a little over a month! Not to mention 6 baskets?
Has a mass stealing ever occurred like this before?
The baskets are pretty large. I really doubt this crime will go down without someone seeing something or turning the guilt parties in.
Instead of setting up a replacement basket fund, why not set up a reward fund for finding out who is responsible for this disaster.
discndat
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 2:55:50 PM

I think that's a good idea Erik.
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:33:30 PM

NEW INFO !!!!!! The police officer that I first talked with Sat, had some wrong info !!! The 6 baskets were actually broken at the base and other parts of the baskets damaged. The main person for the park district went out early Sat morning and began taking out the damaged baskets. Some of the locks where damaged and he had to cut some of them on order to get them off. The bad is the dbags that are going in and doing this ! As disc golfers me must protect and stop any thing like this from happening here and at other parks. I just got off the phone with the park members and YES they are going to fix and replace them !!! They even cleaned up alot off the brush areas and filled in the drainage ditch, Hole 4 will be moved since they cleared the area that protected the basket. It is too easy now. FYI one of the neighbors is offering a $500 reward for info. He only walks his dog thru the park and it really po's him to see this type of behavior ! The park also is looking at their security cameras to see if they see anything / anyone that is involved in it !! AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT !!!!!
Erik
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 4:08:08 PM

Broken at the base? Are these baskets not as strong as a Mach 5 or a chainstar?

It is good to see the park wanting to repair the course and do so much work to make it nice.
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 7:29:37 PM

No they are only a $200 basket .
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:17:33 AM

Good news. I've always wondered who steals these baskets. I know I have never run across people trying to sell baskets that have 'fallen off a truck'. I guess people put them in their yards? Makes me wonder if it is just punks who don't like DG in general? Either way, it is pi$$ poor behavior.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:52:20 PM

So guess the real motive was to hack and destory the baskets and tee signs?
Still a sad state of things.
Really hope they catch the person/people who did this.
They have a total lack of respect.
Any other news or leads on where this action came from?
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:53:28 PM

Also, PLEASE keep this board updated as to when they are fixed and ready to play again.
We will be there to support this course!