Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Doug Aulick Options
Liz
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:52:14 PM

Sad news - Doug Aulick passed away.  He was found in his bed at his home in Florida today.  PDGA #3547 - a longtime disc golfer.  I'm sure some other fellow seasoned golfers knew him well and have stories to share.  

Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 8:03:33 PM

Wow, that sucks. I just talked to some one who was in Fla and saw Doug.
He was fun to be around, strong personality, a teacher I believe and loved throwing a tomahawk. He helped me a lot when I first started playing many years ago. He was always a promoter of the sport and would help any one at any time.
R.I.P., Doug.
Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 8:12:00 PM

http://www.wesh.com/r/24534041/detail.html

I found a story about banning beer in Cocoa Beach, just past halfway in this video it shows Doug in a council meeting about the ban (I think he owned a restaurant there). You first see him sitting down and taking his glasses off, (dark hair) then a quick shot of him saying to the reporter, "We'll most probably close".
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 9:31:31 PM

Doug was "bigger than life". He had a very big personality. He was instrumental in disc golf in the early years(80's) especially at Banklick. He put tons of hours on that course to make it what it is today. He, John Behymer and I once played Boone Woods every wednesday for a year. He was a blast to travel with cause he could talk about anything. When I first met Doug he was teaching in Grant County and would do a christmas fund raiser for the poor kids in Grant county every year. I think he did that for about 20 years. He had a very kind heart. One of the three amigos is gone and he will be missed. I would like to dedicate the directional pole I am building at Mt Airy to Doug once it's complete. I will post on here on when visitation and burial will be.
bbotte
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:57:10 AM

Always enjoyed seeing him at Banklick back in the day. Always fun to play with. RIP Doug, say hi to Bubba!
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:42:40 AM

Yeah, Doug was definitely a super big personality. I played with him, Fred and Behymer many times out at Boone myself when I first got into disc golf. He ran some great events back at that time. Then several years later I am over at Banklick with my future wife Candy, whose last name is Aulick and we run into Doug and we all realize that they are cousins. Small world. Doug says to Candy: yeah, you're an Aulick all right, you got those big ears! She really doesn't but it was hilarious, and still is when we think back on it. Doug was also our very first customer when we opened up our store on Burlington Pike back in 1997. I'm looking at the framed dollar bill right now that says "Good luck, health and happiness" Doug Aulick

We'll miss you Doug - keep throwin' them discs - ok rollin' them discs, turbo putting, all those different ways you use to throw them.
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 1:34:16 PM

For those who knew Doug and/or his family or would like to pay their respects, here's the information regarding services.

Monday 11/1/2010
Viewing will be from 12-2
Funeral Services at 2 pm at Middendorf Funeral Home 
Middendorf Funeral Home
3312 Madison Pike
Fort Wright , KY 41017
Telephone: (859) 341-7800
Email: middendorffh@insightbb.com 
Jay Dub
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 6:16:10 PM

I'm sorry I have to miss this. I fly to Texas Sunday.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:43:39 PM

I am stuck in cedar Rapids till monday nite. If someone goes please pay my respect to his son Chad for me. Thanks
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 12:11:22 PM

Steve Trauger of Kenton Co. Parks is working on a tree and plaque dedication for Doug. Here's some info with more to follow. 

"Greetings, all! I am in the process of gathering information from suppliers and cost to put together a lasting memorial for our friend Doug Aulick at Lincoln Ridge in the form of a tree and commemorative plaque. It will probably be just $20 or $25 per person, as I know many friends will want to be a part of this tribute. I will let you know very soon how this will come together, as the money can’t come directly to KCP&R. It may work out best that you’ll make your checks payable directly to the selected nursery and just mail them to me and I’ll handle it from there. I will let you know what the plan is soon and how best to make your contribution. All contributors will be notified of the date of tree and plaque installation. Thanks. ST"

Maybe we can do a CTP Split-the-Pot at the CCS on Saturday to get a start on it. And if anyone wants to give a donation at that time, I will be glad to accept it and get it to Steve. We are also looking at the BGO this year being dedicated to Doug. More info on that to follow also.