Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

New Course in Fairborn Options
cyrusf1
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 2:36:59 PM

google map:  

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&abauth=838bf5aa:A_F5CFQYyNLoVZb1ddKJmwVfdOo&q=community+park&vps=1&jsv=290a&sll=39.786989,-84.007215&sspn=0.011097,0.022788&gl=us&num=10&abstate=A:actbar-saveto

This new course sponsored by Handyman Ace Hardware is Huge!  Nearly 8000 feet in length, Its about as long as Idlewild, but a few strokes more difficult.  Believe it! 

The property is as beautiful as it is big, so check it out!
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 5:33:11 PM

I second that! I did not plan to visit this course on Sunday but I am so pleased that I did. Some of the long pro tees are tough!

As dry as it is now, I can only imagine how scary this course will be in the wet season. Water comes into play on three or four holes at least.

Well done but I think they may have pushed up against the property border a bit to much on a couple holes and with the space I think it could have been avoided.

It is worth the trip!
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:00:52 AM

We're playing this course today. Leaving around 10 to drive there. I'll add my thoughts about the course after I play, if anyone wants to know. If not, then just skip over my next post in this thread. ;)
no putts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:46:56 PM

Tough course almost as tough as idlewild. Throw and pray to disc gods. Then repeat. Is worth the ride. Has some holes you won't forget
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:09:21 PM

I agree with everything said in this thread about the course.
The map posted above takes you to a dead end, it's a lot easier. When you get off I-675, take a left (if coming from Cincy) and the main entrance is on the right just past the highway. Drive to the back of the park.
We played long tees, I played like hell, shot an 80. Long tees at Idlewild I shot an 83 with a bad front 9 and a decent back 9. I got 2 deuces at Idlewild and only 2 threes at Fairborn. I got 8s at Idlewild but never shot over a 6 at Fairborn, but got quite a few of them.
Fairborn is tough and worth the trip. There were a lot of groups of serious golfers there today. The work they've done is amazing, it doesn't look like a new course except for some fairways. I hope 18, and a few others, are opened up more in the future. Nice tees.

Long walks between 10, 11 & 12.

Troy
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:16:08 PM

Played the shorts today with 2 long throwers and we shot a 64, 63 & 69. Several holes are frustrating because they don't have any clear avenues, you just throw and hope.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 8:00:28 AM

I went up with 4 others yesterday and played. Of the 5 of us 2 didn't like the course and the rest, including myself, see the potential for a really nice course. I think that the tees and signs are very solid. I see the potential for vandalism on the signs. Someone suggested an overlay so that the actual sign couldn't be damaged. If anyone remembers the early days of Idlewild then they will understand my observation that this course will need some work to keep clearing out and cleaning some fairways before it gets really polished. It is a difficult course with only a couple of deuce oppurtunities. If you're looking for a pitch and putt this isn't it. After playing a bunch of courses around the country I believe that we will start to see more and more courses like Idlewild and Fairborn. I think this course makes you pull out all your shots and play strategy instead of just Huck it and putt it. I think that alot of work has gone on at this course so far and I for one like what I see. I will be interested to see how this course looks in the future.
Erik
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 10:50:51 AM

Also played the longs on Sunday and was really impressed. 3 long walks, but they were pretty logical. Just look at the map before playing to understand. Tee signs provided where to go from the basket to find the next tee, and there were signs also pointing the direction. I found this extremely helpful until a path gets beat in.
Nearly every hole has 2 teepads and 2 hole placements. Mandos were logical and created several gap shots. This has a good mix of hyzer and turnovers for both lefties and righties.
It would definitely play better if all but the mature trees were removed from the fairways. Throw and pray ways an understatement from the longs on some holes. Overall the ideas and land usage are great, just need to clear it out a little more.
Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 4:35:54 PM

I've been in touch with one of the course designers. He said they plan on taking out more trees thru the winter and spring. They wanted the course in first before taking out too many trees, I think that's good planning. I did see some trees marked for removal Saturday, the ones with ribbons wrapped around them. It's a brand new course, I believe it'll come close to, if not match, Idlewild in the future.
Hole 8 is the only hole with one tee and maybe one pin placement.

jpaul6
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 6:34:10 PM

I've played it from longs and shorts twice each now and I must say that it's a great course overall.  From the longs there's a few holes that can just piss you off and I know there's still work to be done.  The shorts are quite a different game and if your aim is on, there's quite a few deuceable holes.  I'd definitely play a tourney there.  Excellent job on the tee signs, pads and the scorecards/pencils...first class!  thumbsup

I don't think it will match Idlewild but we'll see.
DanH
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 6:54:04 PM

The tee signs are very innovative. They are a sturdy, all steel construction, with a big full color vinyl sheet with the hole description glued on. I imagine they can easily just print out new sheets when the old ones get too vandalized or the hole changes.

I've only played the longs, and although many of them don't actually have fairways yet, there is definitely a lot of potential.
nienaber
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 8:06:13 PM

i played the longs and i'd have to say anything under a 70 with how the course is now would be a solid score (playing OB's and such)

until they remove the trees its a lot of forehand rollers and throw and prays

STEVO
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 7:54:57 AM

Got an address, or name of park for this course?
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 9:06:18 AM

STEVO wrote:
Got an address, or name of park for this course?

Here's the link to the course on the disc golf course review site.

You can find a coursemap and directions there.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4222
BTBAM
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 8:57:28 PM

I'm hoping to get up there soon!
TX Hemi
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 10:41:44 PM

Here is the address for fairborn high school

900 East Dayton Yellow Springs Road, Fairborn, OH 45324-3996

The course is in the back of the parkbehind the school. Sorry didn't post this earlier.
topherb
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:33:31 AM

The course is awesome. It's also not as difficult as others are saying!
topherb
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:34:15 AM

Anyone down for fairborn today? post pm or text me!
StorminSteve
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:42:19 PM

Course is nice. Hopefully some clearing of some trees will be done. Some holes have no lines to them. A and B pads are nice as the signs are very well done. A fun course to play. Can't wait to play BID there.
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:53:11 AM

topherb wrote:
The course is awesome. It's also not as difficult as others are saying!

Did you play the longs? I would agree that it's not that bad from the shorts.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:12:50 AM

I played the longs, thought there were some trees that could be cleared out to open up disc lines, the shorts looked like they had well defined lines for the most part. A couple trees removed and it's a pro caliber course, best in Dayton by far and IMO in the top 10 from NKY to Columbus, maybe top 5...
Erik
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:37:16 AM

It is easy to make the tight fairway and later on remove a widen the fairway and thin out some trees.

It is much more costly to tear down too much and then have to plan new trees to make the course difficult again…

I played longs as well. Not clear lines on many holes but LOADS of potential. Can’t wait to see the course a year from now!
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:45:04 AM

Okay, going to share some more thoughts on the course. When I'm breaking down a course and it's desing the things that I look at are:

-Equipment-Baskets, Teepads, locks, alt sleeves etc...
-Shot/Disc Line Variety
-Flow
-Safety
-Decision Difficulty: How often does it force a player two choose between two or more options and how difficult are those choices to make?

The baskets, locks, teepads, A+, there is one super teepad in the back that someone put a looot of work into.

Pin Locations-Awesome, A-, great use of elevation, there are several pins that have little saplings right next to them, cut those out, A+

Disc Lines and Disc Line Variety: C+, the potential is there for A+ but there are one too many fairways lacking logical disc lines, but that can be fixed with a chainsaw...this IMO is the biggest opportunity to improve the course but it's probably the norm for a course of that magnitude. I've heard that Idle Wild was the same way at first...you can tell they've don a heck of a lot of work out there to get to where it is today.

Flow: C+, IMO 2 big walks is fine, more than that and it's a little tedious. The other issue is the river hole, it's a great hole but that's going to cause some serious back up in a tournament having to walk over that bridge and back...However, they didn't cross over a fairway...

Safety:A, there is a hole where someone could be hit on a teepad due to proximity to another hole's fairway, but only 1..Mt. Airy has 2...

Decision/Choice Factor: A+, it will be even better when they open up some lines on the fairways.....

You can tell alot of work went into the course and it really shows, a crew of guys and a chainsaw and Dayton has a 5 star for sure....I hope I can make the BID
topherb
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:24:48 PM

Phil Miller wrote:

Did you play the longs? I would agree that it's not that bad from the shorts.

Yes played from shorts and longs. Longs played same on some and better on others . Almost aced 18 from pro pad!
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:48:48 PM

topherb wrote:

Yes played from shorts and longs. Longs played same on some and better on others . Almost aced 18 from pro pad!

I am thinking that the leaves dropping must have made things easier because I am pretty sure that the difficulty difference from longs and shorts was pretty large.  Just wait till spring and the water hazards are in full force, that will be a big difference.

Look forward to playing there again.