Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2011 Flying Pig Open Options
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:06:28 PM

annouce Hey everyone, starting the thread for the coming year's pig. I want to hear from you on what you're interested in. We have an unique option on the table this year. The weekend before the Pig's normally scheduled event the PDGA is putting on a global competition. For more on this competition please see the link below. To participate in this event, all 3 rounds would be played at the same course, and the payouts are split with the globabl event, somewhere between 50/50 and 30/70. I think it would be fitting if we decided to participate in this event to do so at Mt. Airy since it had such an instrumental role in the development of the rating system.  By then, we should have the new baskets in and maybe even new teepads......The other pro is that if we move off the last week in August we're not competing with the Pittsburgh event and Pieradise.

Recap:
3-Rounds of 18 at Mt. Airy August 20-21

Potentially a reduced overall payout (if we raise 130-150% of last year then payouts will be comparable)

No Final 9, No Temp Holes

This is just an idea , nothing is in stone, and I want to hear from everyonethumbsup . If you have  other suggestions feel free to share them.

www.pdga.com/global-dg-championship
devilsfan.john
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 2:42:09 PM

Interesting idea, not quite sure about it.But i've got to admit it should help draw more attention to the tournament on a local level. Since I never expect to recieve any of the payout, that doesn't really affect my opinon, I play just to play - anything else is a bonus. Would be nice to have the pig at just one course, would like to see if I could put one good round together between the three. As the PDGA releases more info, my opinon may change, but for now I'm in.
perica
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 4:10:21 PM

I like the idea of moving it. I think you're going to lose a lot of pro-side attendance to the PFDO if they're competing (especially since it's an NT this year).

On top of that, 3 rounds at Airy sounds much more fun than anything at Harbin.
Jay Dub
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 6:56:54 PM

I've always liked one tournament, one course with no changes. Give the home boys/girls an advantage.
It also makes it easier on the TD and other volunteers.
nathaniellr
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:45:53 AM

i dont remember for sure but i think i saw somewhere that all events taking part of the global event will be USDGC qualifiers. if so im alot more likely to go. i do love mt airy
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:50:00 PM

Great idea, I'm going to the PFDO next year as well. The extra holes at Airy are actually quite good. And if we just do Airy, we can put in more time on Old old 7&8 to make those very cool holes more Am friendly. No Harbin and I'm in.
agentdozzer
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:29:31 PM

I believe the layout will not include any temp holes. The tourny would consist of three rounds of Mt Airy with no temp holes or final nine.
Moses
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 9:06:01 AM

Wait no final nine? why would you cut that out?
nathaniellr
Posted: Monday, December 13, 2010 10:42:20 AM

if its taking part in the PDGA Global Event. it is required that you play 3min rounds all the same layout. this goes for everyone. your ratings are added up and compared to the rest of the events taking place on that day
Seanboy1
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:10:25 PM

It would be nice to see it at one course only.  I would be concerned about the fact that the lower divisions(int, rec, jr's) are not a part of the global event.  This would reduce that part of the field and leave some players out of it.

In addition, how much of a benefit is to your club/tourney that a percentage of your payout goes to the PDGA and may not be realized by anyone playing this event.

If the PIG is an A-Tier, can the date be moved this late?

Just my thoughtsshocked
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:23:32 PM

18 holes are part of the requirements?
If so, that probably means a cap of 72 players for foursomes. I'd wait to see how this Global event comes off before trying to fit the Pig to their criteria. Good luck with either choice.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:19:57 PM

5-somes on 18 holes used to be the norm up until either 2006 or 2007, I can't remember when the woods holes conundrum happened. Attendance was always high too, it would fill up a week early and force people to go to Peru if they were SOL.

There also were no divisions below advanced; which in my opinion was considerably more enjoyable. (I'm sure some will disagree)

To me, I think that's the best ... 18 holes that all the locals know, and have tee pads, and don't have baskets that get moved by some a**hole at lunch.
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:22:06 PM

Seanboy1 wrote:
It would be nice to see it at one course only.  I would be concerned about the fact that the lower divisions(int, rec, jr's) are not a part of the global event.  This would reduce that part of the field and leave some players out of it.

In addition, how much of a benefit is to your club/tourney that a percentage of your payout goes to the PDGA and may not be realized by anyone playing this event.

Just my thoughtsshocked

The pig had 92 players last year, which 40 of those players were Int and Rec. players. That is a pretty large percentage of players to lose.
TX Hemi
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:10:54 PM

I will play in the Pig this year if its not moved.
perica
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:01:15 AM

StorminSteve wrote:

The pig had 92 players last year, which 40 of those players were Int and Rec. players. That is a pretty large percentage of players to lose.

I think your math is a little off there.  21 in rec. + 16 in int. = 37.  Regardless, that would be a big chunk to lose, I just doubt they would be lost.  The advanced field would just be bigger, like in years past ...

2005: 45 of 90 participants were in advanced.
2006: 40 of 90 were in advanced.
2007: 46 of 89 were in advanced.

On top of it, we wouldn't have people talking smack about how they're going to win the rec division ...

Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:08:03 PM

Do it on one course, cap it at 72, and have Advanced be the only Am division. There have been many times while waiting a half hour or more at a backup hole where I ask myself why I paid money to play 5 hour rounds (sitting around and waiting half the time). If only having AM1 deters some participation and makes rounds go smoother, I'd call it addition by subtraction.

In terms of the national event, that is a cool idea as long as the winnings are distributed correctly across all events.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:35:04 PM

Seanboy1 wrote:

Just my thoughtsshocked

Just to clear up a couple of things.

1 The pig is a B-tier
2. Am2 (Intermediate)  is a part of the global event so you may lose some rec but some may move up.

From the PDGA page:

All Pro divisions will be offered. For this first event, only Advanced (men & women), Advanced Masters (men) and Intermediate (men) divisions will be offered partly because everyone has to play a longer layout. Lower division players are welcome to play up and enter these divisions if they wish to play in this inaugural event.

Just clearing those 2 points up.

Personally I hope it stays the way it is, because I'm a traditionalist that way. But whatever happens I'll be there.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:38:40 PM

Moses wrote:
Wait no final nine? why would you cut that out?

Because unless it's an NT most people don't care.

It's a cool idea but it's a pain in the arse for the td's that get stuck back at HQ while people come up and want their prizes so they can leave early.

Sound Familiar?
StorminSteve
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:01:31 PM

Actually there were 40 players in those 2 divisions. My math was right, you forgot to count the ties for 21 st place (count players not last place number ) . Whatever the out come , hopefully it  will be a success.  
perica wrote:

I think your math is a little off there.  21 in rec. + 16 in int. = 37.  Regardless, that would be a big chunk to lose, I just doubt they would be lost.  The advanced field would just be bigger, like in years past ...

2005: 45 of 90 participants were in advanced.
2006: 40 of 90 were in advanced.
2007: 46 of 89 were in advanced.

On top of it, we wouldn't have people talking smack about how they're going to win the rec division ...

perica
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:35:17 PM

Oops, my bad man - forgot about the whole tying thing. Also forgot about how a crazy amount of AM1 players DNFD until I looked back at that page. I can't remember, were there any injuries or just a bunch head cases?

Yes, hopefully it's a success.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:40:07 PM

perica wrote:
Oops, my bad man - forgot about the whole tying thing. Also forgot about how a crazy amount of AM1 players DNFD until I looked back at that page. I can't remember, were there any injuries or just a bunch head cases? Yes, hopefully it's a success.

Head cases. You know the pressure of a "B" tier.
devilsfan.john
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:10:21 PM

Phil Miller wrote:

Personally I hope it stays the way it is, because I'm a traditionalist that way. But whatever happens I'll be there.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:41:29 PM

Hi all, thank you for the healthy respectfull dialog and conversation this is awesome! I've e-versed with the inventor of the Global Event, Chuck Kennedy. For those who don't know, Chuck is the inventor of the rating system, Chuck utilized the 98' Worlds Rounds at Mt. Airy to develop the rating system...he reminded me of this fact during the conversation. Chuck also gave me the scoop on the event so here are the details:

Divisions
Open (All)
AM1 (All)
AM2 (Men Only)

Players within each division must play all 3 rounds, same layout, at the same course but not all divisions have to play the same course. This gives the TD the option to split the fields and running the event at multiple courses.

The courses used have to have an SSA of 48-54, meaning you can't make anything too mean.

The TD can add a 4th round or Final 9. The 4th round or Final 9 scores would be calculated in determing the local event winner but simply left out of the Global Event Winners.

AM's get a player pack with for sure a disc with a global event stamp and potentially a shirt(need to validate that).
TD can add to player pack at discretion.

Payout Local Vs. Global

$15 of every AM entry goes to global fund
$25 of every Pro entry goes to global fund

basically 33% of all entry fees goes global

Sponsor money stays local* (unless the sponsor wants it to go global)

Chuck seemed very eager at the idea of having Mt. Airy in the fold and even said he would ensure the PDGA publicized the birthplace of the rating system participating in what he believes will be a historic event. However, what really matters is WHAT YOU THE MEMBER thinks. I have a couple of loose ends and details to clarify and once I've got all the info to you we will be launching a poll.

DanH
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:30:33 PM

Sounds cool to me. I wonder how the global cash is going to work for Ams. Credit towards an online DG store? Credit towards a PDGA membership? And what will the Global payout scale be?
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:02:52 AM

Those are those details that need additional clarity. The AM's will be paid out in vouchers, vouchers wil be honored by participating vendors and by the PDGA Online Store (they're putting their IDGCA pro shop online so it will dramatically improve their selection in the next several months)

They also said AM's would receive a really nice players pack, with a unique stamped disc for the event, not sure what else. We won't accept a slouch payout for any field, if we go this route and have to add some cash to purchase more plastic for AM Payout, then we'll do it.

As for the Pro's, top 33% globably will qualify for the global purse winnings. Not sure if that's the same for Am's or if it's broader...