Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2011 Flying Pig Open Options
Erik
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:31:26 AM

I really have mixed feelings about the pig and this global thing. I think both are good things by themselves, but together it takes away from what the pig is. A special tournament to Cincinnati trying to attract high caliber players.

I really liked last years pig. I personally would like to see some big name people come to an A tier Flying pig in Cincinnati. There were many improvements made from previous years and the final 9 was awesome (might need more TD’s/vender helpers if done again to control mobs and take care of early departures.) Temp holes, temp courses, old holes, etc make the pig special.

The global thing sounds awesome as well, but not as Cincinnati’s largest tournament. It should have its on separate day to set it apart from local things and insinuate that it is a global event.

I like the idea for both things, but not on the same day.
TX Hemi
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:51:27 AM

I second that.
maddenj
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:58:33 AM

If we dont have the global event at Airy, Then were would we have it? What other courses in cincy have an SSA that falls between 48 and 54 on 18 holes. I can only think of Airy...
TX Hemi
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:38:35 AM

Why not just ad the event at Airy and keep the pig like it is?
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:45:11 AM

That's an option, but we would have to move the Pig to October then
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:00:37 PM

Another option, a more extravagant, grandiose plan, with multiple moving parts would be the following:

-Committ to an A-Tier for the global event
-Partner with the PDGA to publicize the event
-Use the publicity as leverage to negotiate a second course at Mt. Airy with Cincinnati parks
-Split AM and Pro fields, cap the field to 144 players, which would raise $2400-$2900 for the global purse, thus the incentive of the PDGA to publicize the event and potential leverage for us to request the PDGA's assistance in getting the big names here.
-Target added cash for the event of $2000K to $4000K through sponsorship to incentivize bigger name turnout and shore up the AM payout if need be.

Results:
-Local players get another course at Mt. Airy
-PDGA Global Event is a big success
-Infrastucture to host an NT or World event in the distant future is in place (Mt. Airy 1, Mt. Airy 2, Banklick, Idlewild, Harbin, all 20 minutes from Mt. Airy
-Major publicity for Cincinnati parks, which I'm guessing they could use with the city budget noose getting tighter and tighter.

Getting the PDGA's support would not be an issue, getting the parks to put in a second course, that's the catch. If we got that done, I know we could do the rest as a club if we wanted to.

Who knows...maybe we could get a Billy Crump video produced at Mt. Airy....

A ton of moving parts, and several significant fail points, PDGA committment, Parks committment, Club committment......if we wanted to try and do something like this we as a club would need to be committed and possess the will to make it happen. We would need people to step up and help with fundraising and sponsorships....and more people willing to do work days and volunteer days at Mt. Airy and with Cincinnati parks....
Bryan
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:35:29 PM

-Target added cash for the event of $2000K to $4000K through sponsorship to incentivize bigger name turnout and shore up the AM payout if need be..... [/quote]

I think you would have to get a huge corporate sponsor for that kind of cash sponsorship.  It would be the richest event ever in our sport.  thumbsup
Madmike
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:39:04 PM

i am willing to do a ton of volunteer work if need be!!!!! have all kinds of time on my hands
Moses
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:47:53 PM

i'm also willing to give up some saturdays and some evenings to help. From what i've heard the order for the baskets is already in for the second course at airy.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:41:04 PM

The order is in to replace the current baskets at the course. The Park is talking about putting in a 9 holer, we maybe able to use a big event as leverage to get an 18 in vs. a 9.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:46:46 PM

Bryan, we raised $1500 in less than 60 days for last year's pig. A coordinated, more timely effort would certainly be more successful in raising funds. The other thing to, is that participating in the Global Event could be leveraged as a selling point in fund raising, national exposure vs. local exposure.
TX Hemi
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:00:05 PM

Maybe we could hit up KLOVE or it sister station AIR-1 for sponsorship (christain radios that is nationwide) I saw they sponsord a DG even somewhere (I think Phoenix)this year.
robglover
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 9:29:37 AM

Is this a one time deal? I'd be less concerned about loosing the Flying Pig as a signature event if it was just for this one time.
Moses
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 10:18:17 AM

How is this losing the flying pig as a signature event? its still the pig just with one less crappy course
Seanboy1
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 11:21:15 AM

[quote=DrewMiller(RH)]Another option, a more extravagant, grandiose plan, with multiple moving parts would be the following: -Committ to an A-Tier for the global event "

The A-Tier schedule is already done for next year.  I assume you are talking about 2012?

GIES2525
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 1:43:29 PM

Moses wrote:
How is this losing the flying pig as a signature event? its still the pig just with one less crappy course

Harbin (with the extra holes) is not a crappy course! And i believe it shakes the scores up a lot from playing at Airy! Completely different course, with a lot of fun holes. Whats not to like about it? I agree playing there without the temp holes is quit boring, but with them, its a completely different place.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 3:23:22 PM

All a matter of personal preference. People talk about Banklick as if it's the best thing since sliced bread and I can't stand the place.
DanH
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 10:01:02 PM

The temp holes make the course more interesting, but they are also a backup nightmare.
GIES2525
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:11:28 AM

Yeah i didnt think about that Dan! There was a lot of waiting on hole A and C, but those are fun shots to watch! So not the worst spot to be waiting to throw. IM sure it can get frustrating though.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:08:24 PM

Ben Shooner wrote:
All a matter of personal preference. People talk about Banklick as if it's the best thing since sliced bread and I can't stand the place.

shocked
angry
laugh
thumbsup
I prefer toast, as well.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:16:43 PM

Thank you all for the input and the great feedback. Based on the feedback we'll definately be running the traditional Flying Pig tournament this year. However, given the PA NT and Pieradise are on 8/27 and 8/28, it's not in the tournaments and some of our membes best interests to conflict with these events. However, moving the Pig up a week and competing against the global event would not be optimal for the Pig as many of the top pro's local and non local will be competing for the global purse. Also, missing the opportunity to pariticpate in a historic event that has it's roots right here at Mt. Airy would simply be negligent, especially given the rennovations at Mt. Airy this year and the opportunity for another course. The most logical choice is to run the Flying Pig and a B-Tier event to participate in the Global Event. So, here's to an awesome 2011!

Mt. Airy Classic B-Tier Global Event (Name subject to change in the event of a title sponsor)
Aug 20/21st

12th Annual Flying Pig B-Tier Event

Ocotber 15 & 16th

Both dates have been approved by our state coordinator, Paul Jay, sanctioning agreements should be in before the end of the year.
Moses
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:02:52 AM

that's awesome that we have two local events one after another!
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:24:31 AM

Hooray, Drew I'll look forward to both!
devilsfan.john
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 4:36:24 PM

Awesome compromise, sounds like two great events...as always!
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:49:39 AM

FPO 2011 is just around the corner. Please contact Andrew or I to help out, volunteer, donate, sponsorship, etc.
More info and details to come soon.