Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winter Play Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 9:52:48 AM

So has anyone been out this winter to play?
Thought about a couple of times but became too busy.
Last time was when it warmed up recently but with all the rain figured courses would be too wet.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:49:23 PM

I play once a week snow or not. It's really not bad right now especially considering all the snow is gone.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:56:10 PM

Lack of light, other interests, and general discomfort keep me off the links for most of the winter. This is probably why I don't play well until September (and 'well' is a very relative term).
DanTheMan
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:41:51 PM

I try to sneak out of work around 4pm... I work from home the rest of the time anyhow. If I can keep from getting frost bite, or falling on my butt, I'm going to play.

finnhawc
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 3:07:36 PM

It helps even if once a week is all you manage on a course. Putting can be done indoors, well, it can shrug be done.
DanTheMan
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 7:42:08 PM

I putt in my driveway just so long as I can stand up on it without falling down. People stop and watch me as they are driving like "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT GUY DOING?"
robglover
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 10:02:26 PM

I played in the New Years Tourny and bought a basket so I can practice in the backyard year around. I'm planning to play in at least one of the Ice Bowls. I don't want to feel like I've just come out of hibernation when Spring rolls around.
Valet
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 11:10:39 PM

I haven't been playing long, but I think the best time to play is in the winter for a couple of reasons. First off, you don't sweat profusely and get irritated by the heat. The chill in the air (so long as it's over 25 and the wind isn't bitter) keeps the body temp comfortable if you keep the pace of your round up. Second, the courses are not filled to capacity...(often times w/ some interesting folks, although "interesting" is not always bad). I play Lincoln Ridge often and it's ridiculous in the summer time. To have the course to yourself, which is easy to do in the winter, is something else. And in the winter time, you only have those who are seriously interested in dg and not just out there to tip over a trash can, deface a bench or pull a basket out of the ground.

Obviously winter has its downfalls too. If the snow is enough to bury and lose a disc, be sure to keep an eye on your disc (not wise to go alone) and BITTER cold sucks so stay away from that.

This is my opinion of winter play though. Obviously everyone has their own and I'd enjoy hearing about it.
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:03:43 PM

Don't forget about the lack of foliage....sometimes takes a stroke or two off the round.

Oh, yeah, and good for rollers (if there's no snow). laugh
Valet
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:55:17 PM

Great point about foliage! I agree.
robglover
Posted: Saturday, January 08, 2011 11:41:47 PM

To me, courses are less intimidating with the leaves down. And it is helping me to develop approach strategies for the warmer weather.