Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc golf and Ball golf Tournament ?? Options
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:05:58 PM

Does anyone have any  thoughts of having a Disc golf and ball golf tournament. Play 18 holes of each and low score wins. Is this maybe something to try to have in the spring/summer of 2011 ???  I can organize it if needed. 
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 9:55:04 AM

There used to be the "Lazy Man Olympics" which was: 1. 9 holes of Ball Golf 2. 2 Rounds of Bowling 3. 9 holes of Disc Golf 4. Cornhole tournament.

It was pretty fun. It caused me to get into ball golf for a minute. Then I realized that I loved disc golf more and the clubs have been hanging in my garage ever since.

If you organize something I would probably play in it though.
T_Vincent
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:07:49 PM

Sure, sounds like fun. If I remember, lazy man use to be teams of two, that could work as well. Depending on how tough a ball course you are looking for wwe could try to do a thing with one of the hamilton county courses at Woodland Mound or Whitewater. I know the DG courses are not great but there would be less traveling.
Moses
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 4:12:35 PM

yeah i would be all about it
Valet
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 8:48:59 PM

Kenton County has 3 18-hole courses right next to Lincoln Ridge Park. Regardless, I'd be up for disc and ball golf anywhere.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:45:17 PM

Sounds great ! I think Tony's thought is good for playing Woodland and the Vineyard course or others that are close in distance. I like the ideal of 2 man teams. Could offset some people that don't play as much ball golf or vice versa.  Pm me and lets make this happen this year !
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 9:17:24 PM

A ball golf & disc golf tournament would be great! The Lazy Man Olympics worked well for golf because the Fairfield course was a little one that didn't beat up the casual golfers. You have to keep in mind that most players will be better in DG than ball golf, so a tough ball golf course will be rough on the duffers, plus a course as busy and nice as Vineyard probably won't appreciate us. A forgiving course with less 'formality' like Reeves (Lunken Airport) or Avon Fields (could work with Mt. Airy) would be nice. The doubles aspect really makes the ball golf part much less painfull - throwing away the really crappy ball keeps the group moving. My opinion is that 18 holes disc golf and 9 holes ball golf is a good balance, timewise and effort wise. Many infrequent golfers will find 18 holes daunting and too much. Plus, 9's cheaper than 18. Probably have to do DG in a.m., and BG in afternoon when you can book an 'outing' of tee times. Looking forward to it!
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:23:18 AM

I would totally be down. The best shot doubles makes it much less painful-esp. if the ball golf course is to be a standard course (not a par 3 that we used for the LMO). I agree with Pete on 9 ball golf and 18 disc golf.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:35:46 PM

Fantastic idea. It's been kicked around before & I think time has always been the biggest factor. IMO, it works best with 2 18 hole rounds. The problem is an outing on the golf course would likely be 5+ hours. Then add another 3 for lunch, travel, and disc golf. Throw on another hour for scoring & awards and your talking a 9-10 hour event. Cost is another major factor. How much over the greens fees do you charge for payout? It could get expensive quickly. I also like the idea of playing a regular course. We use a super easy course for LMO to cut down on time as we have 3 other events to play the same day.

I like the idea of a 4 man scramble for golf, then two teams of doubles for disc golf. One plays best shot the other plays alternate. Add all three scores together for a final score. Call it the "Old Ball & Chain."
slg6218
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:38:03 PM

A great spot would be A.J. Jolly. The front 9 is relatively tame, and the disc course is right across the lake. You could do 18 holes disc golf at 10am, break for lunch, then 9 holes of ball golf. That puts you on the ball course around 2pm.  Even on a Saturday they could accomodate a group at that time of the day.  Have a cookout afterwards around 5 pm. Heck, for the die hards you could even add a round of glow at night. Camping is available for those that want it. The only drawback would be the fee they charge to enter the park.
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:45:51 PM

Thanks for all the input . I think 18 disc and 9 of ball would be the best way to do it . If we do 18 at Woodland we could also even play California , reeves etc. Turlecreek is also good , golf course across the street is now public,   I agree about making it fun. ( Ball golf is my game though ) . What dates would work for most ? If some people would like to meet and discuss this I'm open . The only issue would be everyone would have to pre reg. ( That way we have tee times covered). Let's make this happen. thumbsup
Moses
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:04:47 AM

why don't you talk to the course about setting up a a few baskets off to the side on a ball golf course that doesn't have as much traffic like lindale or something?
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:32:25 AM

Great idea, having a ball/disc tourney sounds fun! Yet again, kudos to Nick's tourney naming ability, :-).
StorminSteve
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:58:08 PM

Most golf courses will not let you set up baskets . They really like having green fees.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 9:24:36 PM

The Nati will be hosting a golf/disc golf outing this spring at the Meadowwood Golf Course sponsored by "The Dug Out Cafe". Format will be doubles best shot. 9 holes golf and 18 holes disc golf. 2 divisions, pro and Am. There is money added to the pro division. More details later. $1.00 beers all day, delivered on the course. I'll know more in Febuary.
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:30:05 PM

Awesome, Fred! That's mighty nice of you to spend the day bringing beers to us rather than suffer the embarrassment of people seeing that funky golf "swing" of yours. :)
NKYgoalie
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:18:20 PM

Wow, Thats a great follow-up idea Fred! Lmao
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 7:28:42 PM

Yea Pete, I'm a regular Jim Furyk. While Bob and I are collecting our winnings you'll be on the putting green trying to figure out how to putt a ball nose down.
NKY goalie, Shane or whoever you are, Linda from the Dug Out Cafe has been wanting to do this for a couple of years. She likes it when we come out and play glow at the Meadowwood golf course. She enjoys the disc golf scene and will be a great sponsor for the future.
StorminSteve
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:18:11 PM

NEngle wrote:
Fantastic idea. It's been kicked around before & I think time has always been the biggest factor. IMO, it works best with 2 18 hole rounds. The problem is an outing on the golf course would likely be 5+ hours. Then add another 3 for lunch, travel, and disc golf. Throw on another hour for scoring & awards and your talking a 9-10 hour event. Cost is another major factor. How much over the greens fees do you charge for payout? It could get expensive quickly. I also like the idea of playing a regular course. We use a super easy course for LMO to cut down on time as we have 3 other events to play the same day. I like the idea of a 4 man scramble for golf, then two teams of doubles for disc golf. One plays best shot the other plays alternate. Add all three scores together for a final score. Call it the "Old Ball & Chain."

pcaldwell wrote:
A ball golf & disc golf tournament would be great! The Lazy Man Olympics worked well for golf because the Fairfield course was a little one that didn't beat up the casual golfers. You have to keep in mind that most players will be better in DG than ball golf, so a tough ball golf course will be rough on the duffers, plus a course as busy and nice as Vineyard probably won't appreciate us. A forgiving course with less 'formality' like Reeves (Lunken Airport) or Avon Fields (could work with Mt. Airy) would be nice. The doubles aspect really makes the ball golf part much less painfull - throwing away the really crappy ball keeps the group moving. My opinion is that 18 holes disc golf and 9 holes ball golf is a good balance, timewise and effort wise. Many infrequent golfers will find 18 holes daunting and too much. Plus, 9's cheaper than 18. Probably have to do DG in a.m., and BG in afternoon when you can book an 'outing' of tee times. Looking forward to it!

finnhawc wrote:
Great idea, having a ball/disc tourney sounds fun! Yet again, kudos to Nick's tourney naming ability, :-).

After seeing the interest I started to plan and call courses.  Then you come on here and read about my idea which has not been mentioned before in a long time.  All of a sudden you want to jump on the bandwagon.  bow
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:48:50 PM

Should it be bring your own partner, or random draw by division?
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:44:36 AM

For the heck of it, you all need to stop being so darn childish. I don't care who came with the ideas first I care about who has the determination to run an event like this successfully. We all know Fred has ran several golf vs. disc golf events in the past- not a new idea. We all know Nick has run the Lazy Man Olympics for the past few years( I have 2 Bronze medals). Steve's idea all though similar is different and we should respect his idea and help if we can. Can't you all just get along for once. lol.

StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:36:08 AM

It will be bring your own partner. That way if one is a better ball golfer (as in my case) you can maybe offset it with a better disc golfer. It is all about having a fun day of disc and ball golf. More details to come. Hopefully this week will be able to get golf course fees and be able to put something out as to costs.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 9:46:17 PM

Ow Fred! After all the money I've made off of you with that nose down frisbee putt, I can't wait to learn the secrets of ball golf from you! I was sorry to hear that the Haney Project had to turn you down, though. The man's got a reputation to uphold, you know.
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:54:42 PM

Fred's secret to ball golf may just be his partner that he brings! (HINT HINT)

FURTHERMORE.................................... If there was one played between Banklick and Kenton County Golf Course I will eat each and every one of you alive for dinner! lol
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 10:21:40 PM

looking at playing 9 holes of ball golf in am. And 18 holes of dg after that. Site is looking like Turtlecreek and the Armco Golf course. (across street) Hopefully sometime i MAy. Waiting for the CCS dates as well as theBid from dayton. Will update as things come together.