Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Volunteer work for 2011 Options
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:55:08 PM

I am looking for some feedback on a few things for this year.

1. How many of you are willing to volunteer for projects during the week, Monday through friday and what times you are available?

2. How many of you are willing to volunteer during the weekends and what times are you available?

3. Would you be interested in your home/local course as a Course Pro or Course Liason to take a leadership role and work on that course with the Parks dept.?

As a club we will be more proactive this year and work more closely with the Parks and the community.  We will be undertaking a lot of projects this year that will require many hours of volunteer work.  The more we all give and sacrifice the more we will get back , and if more of us volunteer and numbers increase then we will be able to accomplish more and it will be easier and faster.  The feedback I get from this will greatly help us plan these projects.

Thanks to all those that have helped out in the past, and please pass this on to those that might not read the forums.

In the future all major volunteer projects will be posted in the volunteer section under the Events Tab. More to come soon.....
robglover
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 9:00:20 PM

I work for myself and my schedule varies week to week. But I would be happy to volunteer some time to help.
Valet
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 10:09:30 PM

Nice job adding the volunteer section. It's impossible for me to tell you "saturdays from 9 to noon on xx dates" right now. I am certainly willing to help out, I live close to Lincoln Ridge and this is where I play most so I will volunteer my time there, but need to know when time is needed. I already have a 3 yr old and one due in a few weeks so my time will be consumed w/ that. I'll keep checking the volunteer page for information so I can help out when help is needed, as much as I can.
agentdozzer
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:43:52 AM

I have been trying to contact the people with Pride park, for the last month I have talked to Mark the parks guy four times. He has said that the city has hired a architect to redesign the park. The first time I spoke with him he said the architect was asking about the course and wanted maps of it. I was told he would get me the guys number, well after three more calls he says that he isnt allowed to give the architect's number out but took my number and said he would give it to him. I feel like it was a way for him to get me to quit calling gonna give it a couple weeks and call their city offices to see what I can find out. Once I get the okay I am going to start clearing a few area's.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:03:36 PM

Adam, you might want to have anyone that does course work post here what they have done so that you have a record of it. Just so that you can show the parks that we are indeed doing something to improve their disc golf courses.

Valet, I wanted to build a wall behind basket #14 and 15 sometime this spring/summer. Steve already ok'd the project but we ran out of good weather. That would be something that you could work on at your leisure since it will take a few weeks to get done. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff/agentdozer, Pride park has always been very difficult to work with since the past mayor left office and the disc golf contact got altzeimers. I wouldn't donate too much time there since they don't seem to want to help on the disc golf course. We donated tons of hours to get the course in and they let it go to crap.
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:23:40 PM

I can help during evenings afterwork. Weekends are better for me as well. I am interested in the local pro idea well.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 7:57:36 AM

Fred- I actually do keep track of hours and info on projects and any work we do on the course, in fact I am writing up a summary of all work done for 2010 to submit to the Parks. I will call you today and ask you about this in more detail, or stop out during the dubs at Airy.

Jeff W - I will call you soon to discuss plans.

Tony - You lookin at Embschoff I take it?

This info is just to help me better plan and organize future work, due to budget constraints City Park employees are without holiday pay again and are no longer allowed to work overtime hours which is how they helped us work on weekends in the past hence my need for weekday warriors.
Thanks all for the input, keep it comin.
Valet
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:19:40 PM

Fred - We can certainly discuss this project. I like the idea of a wall behind 14. I'll have to hear more about the one behind 15. We can get together and/or chat anytime. Hit me up.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:04:42 AM

Saturday April 2nd we will be working at Mt.Airy from 9am till 11,11:30. Come on out and help with the course work and then stick around for the Doubles at Airy.

Sunday April 3rd we will be at Goshen from 9am till we leave. We will continue clearing the fairways.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:52:30 AM

Hope to see a good turnout this weekend.
Anyone coming to Goshen on Sunday can bring a chain saw. Plenty of cutting to take care of.
Call for details at 513-255-7275
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:19:57 AM

Gonna warm up a bit today but plan on wearing long pants for your own protection.

When heading to Goshen on 28 east, turn right on goshen road (UDF on corner). just past the schools, the entrance is flagged on the left. Watch for cars coming up the hill. You will see my red truck. Google directions are posted in the volunteer events tab on the main page and in the Goshen course thread.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 7:10:08 AM

Big thanks to those that came out and helped with the course work.
We cleared up the greens at Airy on holes 1 and 3 to get ready for the alternate basket locations.
Sunday at Goshen we continued clearing the fairway on hole 2.

I am planning on having this coming weekend be Airy on Saturday to clear more greens for the new alternate locations.
Sunday we may go to Idlewild to prep for the upcoming tournaments, KY States Singles and the Bluegrass Open.
Both days have doubles events at Noon so think about coming early to help with the course work and build up that Karma before the dubs.