Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

United States Disc Golf Championship- Ohio State Representative Options
pawpaw
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:39:41 PM

Below are a couple paragraphs from Harold Duval to all state coordinators concerning the state rep spots for this years USDGC. If you are not familiar with what is happening with this years USDGC go to http://www.usdgc.com/wp-content/uploads ... ifying.pdf for more info.

"We are encouraging PDGA State Coordinators to choose an event in their state that will determine the USDGC Rep. Ideally the event you select will boast a large field with many different divisions. The bigger the better. Each 850+ rated player whose division plays the same course, pin and tee placements, and rotation, is eligible to earn the privilege to represent your state.

State qualifiers are not required to use this new format. If you do, the USDGC will make it as simple as possible to implement the performance aspect in an existing event. Once the event is over, your results will run through our performance-based calculations to determine which player receives the State Rep invitation. Should the winning player be unable to attend, you may invite the next highest finisher until a selection is made".

With that in mind, I have decided to use the Riverside Drive event to determine this years Ohio Representative. Riverside Drive is a PDGA B-Tier event at Griggs Reservoir, Columbus April 16th-AMS, April 17th-PROS.The event could potentially cap out at 200 people(100 ams/100 pros) and everyone will play same format and tees. For more info on the event go to columbusdiscgolf.com, or contact me.
Thank you,
Paul Jay- Ohio PDGA State Representative
pauljay161@hotmail.com
Valet
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:56:00 PM

I'm very new to this sport and certainly have never, nor will I ever, qualify for any event like this, but can I ask why the Ohio State Champion is being determined at a "lesser" course. I've never played this course, but I do trust discgolfcoursereview.com...it's for the people and by the people... Griggs is rated a 3.04 (26 reviews) and Idlewild is rated a 4.79 (100 reviews) so why not Idlewild? Or even Lincoln Ridge (4.49-58 reviews)? I'm just asking....feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just asking. Look forward to understanding this better. Thanks guys/gals.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:21:46 PM

neither of those courses are in ohio
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:35:05 PM

Columbus is the idea place because it's smack dead center of the state, we have as many clubs to the north of Columbus as we do to the south so it makes sense to put it in the middle of the state. It will be interesting to see where KY is, I'm not even sure who their state coordinator is right now. I think Louisville or E-Town would make the most sense for KY.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:51:22 AM

Valet wrote:
I'm very new to this sport and certainly have never, nor will I ever, qualify for any event like this, but can I ask why the Ohio State Champion is being determined at a "lesser" course. I've never played this course, but I do trust discgolfcoursereview.com...it's for the people and by the people... Griggs is rated a 3.04 (26 reviews) and Idlewild is rated a 4.79 (100 reviews) so why not Idlewild? Or even Lincoln Ridge (4.49-58 reviews)? I'm just asking....feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just asking. Look forward to understanding this better. Thanks guys/gals.

Lmao, the course has beeen changed and it is tougher. It doesn't matter what kind of course you play on, if you use the handicap system it will work out on any course. .   I sorta trust DGcoursereview but, too many homies can make an awful course look good and I've seen quite a few bad ratings on good courses because 'it was too hard'. 
perica
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:26:14 AM

DrewMiller(RH) wrote:
Columbus is the idea place because it's smack dead center of the state, we have as many clubs to the north of Columbus as we do to the south so it makes sense to put it in the middle of the state. It will be interesting to see where KY is, I'm not even sure who their state coordinator is right now. I think Louisville or E-Town would make the most sense for KY.

The Kentucky qualifier is at the SOKY championships (BG + Holler in the Hills).  So it's not exactly in the middle of the state (the geographic middle is near Lebanon, KY btw).

I've actually never played Griggs but it sounds like a good time.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:41:23 PM

Lots of good side arm holes at Griggs, you'd probably like it Mark. It is certainly harder with the new pins, but still a fairly easy course. The tournament splits the ams and pros into two days. So from that perspective, it is a good choice for the Ohio State Championships since more pros can compete.
Valet
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:06:45 PM

Yeah, that's pretty stupid of me to name a couple courses in KY. Was just thinking of the area I guess (plenty of good courses in Cincinnati too). Anyway, thanks for clarifying.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:07:19 PM

Not sure if you guys all know but the Global event we are running in August,Mt.Airy Centennial Open, is also a USDGC Qualifier
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:24:10 PM

AdamJ wrote:
Not sure if you guys all know but the Global event we are running in August,Mt.Airy Centennial Open, is also a USDGC Qualifier

Is that going to be in the new handicap format, Adam?  I love the name of the event!
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:50:23 PM

The USDGC yes, the Mt. Airy Forest Centennial Open...no.
Jay Dub
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:37:40 PM

NEngle wrote:
neither of those courses are in ohio

No offense Valet, I mean no disrespect. We all make mistakes, I know I do....but...

The above was the funniest post I've read on these smal forums. :)  El Oh El!
Valet
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:08:19 PM

I'm with ya Jay Dub...if you can't laugh at yourself then UGH. It was funny stuff.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:30:06 AM

DrewMiller(RH) wrote:
The USDGC yes, the Mt. Airy Forest Centennial Open...no.

Yes, the USDGC event is handicap this year. Is the USDC qualifyer, for Mt. Airy Forest Centennial Open,  going to be determined by handicap?