Peters Creek DGC - Eagle River, AK Options
smthgfshy
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:54:52 PM

Peters Creek DGC - Eagle River, AK

4/23/11

Conditions - Mostly cloudy, no wind, 45F, patchy icy snow, wet ground
Tee's - Dirt, some water, some ice, some mud
Baskets - Disc-catcher Mach 3
Layout - young birch forest, unleafed as of yet, 20-30ft 'hallway' type fairways, very treed rough, most holes about 250ft, well marked
Beverage - Midnight Sun Brewery Kodiak Brown Ale

Finally!!  I get to play again!!  It's been about 1.5 years since I've been able to play with any regularity and it felt good to have the feel of plastic in my fingers, the weight of my discs hanging from my shoulders, and hear the ching of chains as 25 footers slammed home.........  OK, I lied.  Only the first two are true.  So what better way to get back into the swing of things than enter the Spring Fling tourny at Peter's Creek!!

The course is easy to find and the first tee is visable through the trees just off the parking lot,  All holes have trash cans and all have signs. This course is advertised online as "tight".  Most holes had a well defined 10-30 'hallway' type fairway cleared through the dense forest to each side.  Maybe 8 or so holes had trees in the fairway that came into play and indeed made the hole tight.  The course is decided short as most holes measure only 250 or so feet.  The course is mostly flat with only one hole having any elevation to it.  I can't say much about pin placements except that a few did use some terrain features to liven things up a bit.  Course is used heavily by locals and despite 18+ trash cans trash is a problem.  Bears are common (black and brown) in the summer and fall.  Water doesn't come into play. 

Although advertised at "tight" I only got that feeling on a couple of holes.  The surrounding forest is dense, but most holes had a very open fairway that rewarded accurate shots with any mid-distance disc.  Of the 'tight' holes, I'd consider any shot that made it to the green lucky, due to the many scattered trees that presented no lines.  My original feeling after playing a round was that this course is boring.  Holes repeated themselves.  Most holes were 230ish feet, straight, and pins were placed on either side within 30 ft of the the 30ft wide fairway.  There were two holes that required turnover drivers and measured 350+ feet and two that benefitted from a hammer.  I used a sidewinder, buzz, wasp, meteor, putter, and excaliber for 2 rounds.  This course could be made harder by adding "island" greens and OB to some holes.  Also playing it in the summer after leaf out would tighten things up a bit and make getting out of or through the rough very difficult.  A par score was very obtainable and -8 down would be very good.  Just limit your mistakes.  Be accurate.

Boring is the name I have for the course.  It's the same adjective I used for brown beers, the first time I tried them.  After trying several brown beers now, I've come to appreciate their delicate nuances and the balance they achieve with multiple malts.  Layers of flavor.  Hyzer, anhyzer, hyzer, anhyzer.  Boring....at first....  Given time.....not to a beer drinking disc golf nerd.  If (when) you come to AK, don't come for the disc golf.  It won't blow your mind.  Come for the wildness. The fish. The bears.  The beer.  Midnight Sun's (in Anchorage) Kodiak Brown is the beer to have while playing Peter's Creek.  Boring at first, if you're new to browns, but given a chance a solid respectable one at that.  Not too heavy, rich flavors, always changing.  Play it in spring, drink it again in the fall.  It changes and you are able to discover that it's not so boring.  Give it a try. Like a good brown I'll come back to Peter's Creek DGC, to see what I've been missing.  There's a reason it's one of Anchorage's favorites. 

Bottom line: Play here.