Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Course Work 2012 Options
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 8:43:47 AM

Goshen this weekend: they just planted the corn for the "Corn Maze" in the field between/around holes 1,2,3,4. Please stay out of this area,no more driving through the field. We will be there most of this weekend, I will be there early from about 7am till 3pm.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 8:33:50 PM

Goshen this weekend: Saturday Plans: We need two guys digging pins, we are renting an auger and could use a truck to get it around. We need two guys with a shovel and a pickup truck to shovel gravel into buckets, load truck, drive around and drop them off at pin locations A pair of hands to help Adam cut the fly pads. Sunday: If it rains we'll be grooming fairways, if not then we need 3 trucks, six guys, bring empty water gallon jugs, or jugs of some sort, we'll be setting and concrete pins. If weather doesn't permit we'll get to it the following weekend or possibly during the week. All in, it's an estimated 72 hours of work (at the most!) We'll be starting each day early, 7A.M., but if you can make it when you can, just text me 5136020637 and let me know who you are and when you're coming or call Adam 513-255-7275. We are mowing the fairways during the week after work, around 7P.M. tomorrow, if you can make it out we can equip you with a weed whacker or push mower...the tractor can't get to someplaces on hole 1, this will be the second time through, we have to groom it to the point the parks can takeover with their zeroturn. Once the pins are in, we are just waiting on getting a cat or tractor out for the weekend to finnish the tee pads. We have one tentatively lined up for early August, but if anyone knows someonw with a tractor or cat that would be willing to loan or operate for a weekend in July let us know. We just need it to finnish dropping of the gravel in the tee pads.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:04:35 PM

Thanks to Troy & Jeremy Ison coming out on the weekend to help pick up sticks from the fairways. Also, big thanks to Rob Glover and Gary Beebe for coming out tonight and help clearing sticks out of the fairway. We'll be out tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday around 7 clearing fairways, weed whacking, running the bush hog. We could use as many hands possible to clear branches and sticks for mowing purposes, feel free to come out. We've got Adam, myself, Rob Glover confirmed for Saturday, and Adam, Gary, and myself confirmed for Sunday. Need a couple more guys either day and if we get more than 6 we can equip up to 2 more with weed whackers and up to 4 more with rakes to clear debris from fairways. The good news is no more tall weeds, easy access to all fairways with the trails so now hauling stuff in and out, down hill form here!!
T_Vincent
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:53:23 AM

I plan on being there Saturday morning for a bit. Not sure about Sunday yet.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:26:06 AM

I will be starting early to grab materials so if anyone wants to join me I will be at the IHop on SR 28 off the 275 exit at 6:30am then to Lowe's for concrete bags and buckets, then to Mr. Rental by 8am to pick up a 2 man Auger for the weekend. We are getting real close to having this course ready, all I can say is the more help we can get the faster this will happen, thanks everyone so far for coming out, very much appreciated.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 6:26:08 AM

Thanks to all that helped yesterday, we where able to dig 16 holes for baskets on 11 greens. We have 7+ left to do today. I will be there by 8am. rain or shine.
alex.e
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 9:48:12 PM

Adam, what is status of goshen course? I am available wednesday all day if any work still needs to be done
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:31:42 AM

Progress Update: Last weekend 5-6 of us dug 27 holes on 18 greens, hauled big logs up from the creek on hole 17 to be used for retaining walls/erosion control, and pulled down the large broken branch on hole 10, plus trimming and clearing fairways and trails.

This weekend we will be filling holes with gravel, concrete, sleeves, and meter boxes so that the baskets will be ready soon to be placed out on the course. We will also have others continuing the clearing of cut and fallen debris from fairways to designated piles for mulching or reusing timber for the course.

Anyone can come out anytime they want to and walk the course and clean up as you go. Weed-whack all you want, cut out briars and poison ivy, haul large timber to piles, haul debris to piles throughout the course. Myself or Andrew will be the only ones responsible for cutting down anymore trees, still have a few planned on coming down and a few questionable ones.

Soon we will be finishing the tee pads, need gravel chips filled in 4 of them still, then compact them all, top off any that need more chips and then we can cut and install the rubber Fly18 Pads. Anyone with a truck that would like to haul gravel chips to tee's on holes 5,8,11,13 please let me know. That can be done anytime and needs to be ready by next weekend for compacting. We will be using the cut Osage for tee signs to which I will have marked for hand digging the next few weekends.

We have around 1,200 volunteer hours in so far and growing since 2010. First phase will take about 1,500 hours to complete, next phases will be adding second, third, and in some cases a forth tee pad, adding more pin locations, several bridges, stairs and erosion control projects. Plans for elevated pins on hole 9 and 18, tiered or walled green on hole 4, small retaining walls for greens on steeper slopes and much, much more.
Discgolfnut
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:06:16 AM

Finally got out there today, maybe put in 20 to 30 minutes tossing wood off of a few fairways. lopped a few sticker bushes, and rescued a toad out of one of the pole holes. This course is going to a jewel in the local disc golf crown IMO. Will definitely try to get out there a few more times before the Goshen CCS. I would like to thank the dedicated fellas who are making this course a reality, you guys deserve recognition for the all of the blood, sweat, and tears you've so obviously poured into this course.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:35:31 AM

Thanks bud, we will be there today to finish installing the sleeves, I will leave around Noon but anyone can work on stuff anytime.
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 1:19:16 PM

Hey Adam, wanted to check in with you: I was out on #1 & #2 (long) today, starting another Course Cleanup Challenge round. I only spent an hour out there because I was uncertain if what I was doing is OK. Wanted to rest the back a little, so rather than bending, I raked the greens areas for those two pin positions. It still pulled out a lot of sticks, but I started worrying if I was getting too much of the 'mulch'. Any guidelines?
On a more humorous note, I actually stopped because my game sucked (two bogies). I was sweating thru a t shirt and attracting those big ol' bugs that incessantly zoom around your head making a noise like a P-39 Mustang on a strafing run. I surrendered...temporarily. "I'll Be Back!"
--Jeff A.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:24:34 AM

Jeff- your doing just fine, no actual mulch out there, just debris from clearing which all can be removed for the mowers.

This coming weekend we will be there on Sunday due to the CCS at Rapid Run on Saturday. Need a few guys with trucks to haul gravel chips to 4 tee pad locations (5,8,11,13). Still plenty of clearing needed on holes 8,11,12,13,17,18. Rest are good enough for now but all will have more work to do in the next few years when adding other pin and tee locations.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2012 12:50:01 PM

With our CCS at Rapid Run Saturday we will be out at Goshen on Sunday, early start around 7-8am., and then again on Monday. I will be focusing on clearing the remaining paths from hole to hole and sorting and setting timber for tee posts while others continue clearing and mowing fairways and removing nasty briars and stuff from the rough.

Next weekend I will be competing in the BHMO in Columbus so Andrew and others will be out there working. details will be posted later.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 7:25:18 PM

Since I will in Columbus competing this weekend Andrew and Gary will be supervising clean up work.

Focus will be on clearing remaining trails/paths and cleaning up holes 17,18. Sunday they might be working on tee pad stuff. Plenty of work all over to handle from weed wacking, removing briars and poison ivy, mowing fairways and greens, more dirt spread around tees, more gravel deposited at all tees, sorting large timber to use for tee posts and other cool stuff, cutting out vines, clearing trails, clearing debris and piling it for mulching later, and more....

I forsee the course opening by the end of August at the current rate of volunteer efforts.  Anyone that has or will have helped us will be invited to a special opening just for the volunteers, so if you want to be one of the first people to play this amazing course your chances are running out, only a couple weeks left.

Spread the word about the CCS dates swap with AJ Jolly, all info has been updated, let me know if I missed something. Thanks again to everyone that has helped, this just isn't possible without all your efforts and sacrifices.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:47:28 PM

Had a very productive day working out at the new course in Goshen. Compacted all the tees and will be installing the rubber fly18 pads tomorrow and stenciling the Club logo. Please stay off the tee's for a few days to allow the paint to dry fully. We will be there by 8am so come on out and help and see just how awesome this course will be.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:06:28 PM

Finally walked the whole course today. It's going to be an excellent addition to the area, and for me only a nine mile drive. If someone wanted to pick a hole, say No. 14, and started "cleaning" it up a bit, would that be OK? I know there's no tree cutting or major stuff like that, just talking about weeding and stick pick up... ...that kinda stuff.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:21:39 PM

they want people to pick up sticks and do weeding um check out the course cleanup challenge forum
GaryBB
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:28:32 PM

Surge, Thats just what we need. 14 around the tee area there is alot to be picked up. There are also two trees center-left fairway that need cleaned around. Beyond that, walk the course and see what you can find. The fairways need to be picked up and raked. There are also dozens of small stumps 1/2" to 2" that need dug up all across the course. The goal is to get each fairway looking like your back yard. We are helping the park mow this first year and we are trying to get to that point.

If you would like a tour I live 5 minutes away or come out on the weekend.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:09:23 PM

I have a family funeral to attend on Saturday but Drew and Gary and others will be out there as usual, call or come on out. I will be there on Sunday.
All teepads...done, Fairways cut and throwable...ready.
Still have clearing on hole 17,18,12,14,15,10 and a few trails/paths. lots of mowing and picking up debris. Might be starting on some bridges soon.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:03:40 PM

Do you want the holes accurately measured... ...or is that already done? I'm a registered surveyor and have access to electronic distance measuring equipment if you want me to do it. I can probably do it Saturday morning if you want me to.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:35:53 PM

Hmmm, I may take ya up on that, call me at 513-255-7275
Drew has access to a nice GPS device that we have been using but I had planned on getting more accurate measurements for when everything was in. His had a 9-10 foot variance.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:35:31 PM

The total station has a variance of 0.01 feet. HAHA. I'll bring it on Sunday. I can do it by myself but I didn't see all of the long and short sleeves when I walked the course, plus it is a tad bit easier if there is someone to help.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:38:48 PM

Volunteers needed!! We are focused on grooming the fairways so that the park can take over mowing with their zero turn. In the meantime, we've been mowing the fairways with their tractor and it's adjustable mowing deck. We need volunteers to help rake up the debris and broken sticks on the fairways. We will be starting on hole two for clearing debris. We may have a crew grinding out the remaining stumps this week as well. We can get this course open in the next couple of weeks if we get good turnout!
surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 1:11:29 PM

Got four hours of good "grooming" in on No. 14 this morning. I worked on the "pin" half of the hole. This hole wasn't mowed recently so I mowed the half that I was working on... ...needed to cut it so I could see the sticks, HAHA. Would have been a little easier if it the weather gods didn't decided to pick THIS morning to rain. Murphy's Law.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 8:53:29 PM

All fairways are mowed now, excluding the two that currently have Soy Bean on them (13 & 16). We need to mount one last wave of volunteer work to finnish the course over the next two weekends. We need people to come out with gloves and rakes and simply help clean up debris on the fairways. If you haven't been to the course, it starts to the right of the little white house, and from there it's easy enough to follow. The holes that need the most attention are holes 2,5,7,9,& 10. We will be taking a stump grinder, maddocks, and axes to stumps this weekend. Once the fairways are relatively clear, the park will take over mowing. We will be working every weekend from here on, but anyone can go out and work at anytime. Even if you can only volunteer and hour or two, it goes a long, long way. If you go out and work, please either post your hours here, on facebook, or text me, or Adam. We are keeping track of our volunteer hours and of those who have helped put the course in. I would like to personally thank everyone who has come out, whether it's been an hour or days, you help keep us die hards going.See you all in the fairways!!!