Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Looking for a good short range disc Options
alex.e
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 4:52:01 PM

I'm currently interested in buying a stable to over-stable disc for drives of about 200-225ft. I used to throw my mid-ranges but now i tend to overthrow them even when throwing lightly. (i couldn't believe it when i started throwing my ti buzzz over 300ft). I like straight putters(i use a r-pro dart) but over a longer distance they seem to always turnover. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of maybe a slower mid-range disc or a great putter for shorter drives. Any advice is appreciated.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:16:09 PM

have you tried the rhyno putter?
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:31:20 PM

cant remember the guy's name but i played with a guy at woodland last year he had 5 discs in his bag a teebird and 4 rhynos and he only threw his teebird a couple times was launching that putter anywhere inside of 100ft and out to 250 to 300 feet on some longer shots
I3u6sIe2
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:33:42 PM

Well, it's really personal preference, everyone is going to offer different advise. However, I'm your avg player with about a 250' max distance on my putters so my suggestions may be more helpful than those with the big arms...yet they do have more experience so try anything they suggest as well lol. Anyways, I used to putt with darts myself, and found myself turning them over on those short drives much like yourself. I experimented with roughly 15 putters this past winter and settled on 3 discs for those pesky short range shots. For the 225-250 range I really like the Innova Aviar big bead driver 175g. It can handle the torque without turning over and really has little fade. If you need a slight hyzer, it will hold the line, as well as an anhyzer without coming back left on ya. In the 225-250 range with stiff headwind or something that i really need to bite at the end, I prefer a Innova pro pig 175g (much like the rhyno). And last but not least, those shots 100-200, I go to the innova classic roc max wt. If you need to hit 200, a slight hyzer release will put it flat and straight. but 100-150, a nice soft finesse throw is all you need, a dead straight flyer right off the shelf, but you could probably stick to your darts for that if you wanted, but I don't really suggest it. Try to keep from driver your main putters if you can, it will keep them more consistent inside your putting range. Good luck finding the right disc!
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:43:28 PM

better find some pigs while you can they discontinued those found that out after i bought a used one from ison at the oxford cc went to get a back up at the nati and they said good luck lol
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:49:36 PM

KC pro Aviar- nice putter for driving.

brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 8:57:07 PM

it hink it really depends on whats comfortable for you i dont like the aviars cause they just dont feel right in my hand to big a profile i like the thinner profile discs icarry 4 putters an old and new innova XD for putting and medium length anihyser and i have a pro pig for medium hyzer and an older r-pro rhyno i use the rhyno for mostly helix shots and short sharp anhysers because i can bend it up and it will flatten out but i also use the rhyno for long low straight shots cause it when thrown flat flies like an arrow dead straight r-pro rhyno also makes a great scooby disc for hill shots
I3u6sIe2
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:03:33 PM

No more piggys!? Thanks for the tip. Guess I'm gonna try to acquire a few adapted. I love that disc! Worst case I'm site I could switch to a rhyno
I3u6sIe2
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:04:31 PM

Adapted? Lol. Meant asap. Auto correct failure.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:05:53 PM

yea the dx rhyno is very close to the pig because its stiffer than the rpro like i have which is a floppy bastard lol but it will get battered by the baskets
alex.e
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:53:19 PM

i switched to the r-pro dart from the star aviar for putts. never had much luck driving with the aviar either (i know the dart is less stable, but i didn't buy it to drive with). Mid-range i currently throw a ti buzzz and a millineum quantum. the rhyno sounds attractive, a buddy of mine swears by the pig, however he has a little more tendency to turnover than i, but i guess if they discontinued it then its out.
alex.e
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:56:13 PM

anybody thrown the ion from mvp? i'm curious about distance on it because discnation has it listed as 275' for intermediate.