Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Blue Ash Airport Options
Discgolfnut
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:22:11 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has approached the City of Blue Ash about adding a course on the the old airport property. Seems to be enough property for an intermediate course.  The property is huge.  
robglover
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 10:19:18 AM

I drove by yesterday and there were lots of bulldozers, a large area has been cleared. Probably building something that will generate tax dollars.
tbird888
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 7:00:02 PM

A friend of mine who is a Blue Ash resident mentioned to me a little over a year ago that he had received a letter from the city with a survey about what to do with the land since the airport was closing. Disc golf was on that survey. I don't know anything more than that, but it was at least an option they were considering.
perica
Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:14:29 PM

pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:21:31 AM

They are starting the construction of the concert area, water features, restaurants, entertainment lawn, etc. Lots if paved trails and they are hoping for a tower with observation deck. It is one of the highest elevations in the coynty. Not much room left for frisbee golf. Plus, the area to the east will be offices and residential development.
Discgolfnut
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:11:55 PM

^^^ that's a bummer , I live in walking distance to the area, sounds like most of the green space here will be covered in concrete based on the development listed above. I walked the property a few weeks ago and thought a nice little technical course could be done through the woods. Where are all the Geese going to hang out after all is said and done here?
Wayman
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:35:44 PM

I sent an email today to the email address registered at the Summit Park page for the City of Blue Ash parks summitpark@blueash.com . I asked if there were any known plans to add disc golf to the park. Here is the response:

Thank you for reaching out. You are correct, there will be a large portion of the park purposefully left for green space for less “polished” amenities such as walking trails, ponds, etc. We are also looking at many other amenities that could be a good fit into this area and disc golf is in fact on the radar, however since the park is being phased in and the focus is on the main social area of the park first, that area will receive attention towards the ending of the construction project… and the entire project is scheduled to be multiple years. 
 Now, I love the fact that you provided that map. I actually met with someone not long ago that was on the same track as you and wanted to lobby for the same cause. They mentioned the “hole” as seen on the map, but never provided it, so thank you for sending this along. This makes the feasibility that much more possible given the implied need.

So, in short to answer your question…. Would disc golf be a great amenity of the park; yes, but it will be some time before we have the opportunity to look into it as a feature. It is definitely on the radar though!

So it sounds like this may be something of a possibility for the park here in Blue Ash, but another 1-2 years in the future.. We need to keep the right people aware that there is a demand for a course to be built. I mentioned in my email about a "hole" in the NorthEast corridor of Cincinnati and this would be a great solution.

You can see a set of conceptual drawings of the park here:www.msaarch.com/portfolio/msa-sport/city-of-blue-ash-summit-park Look at all of the space down the east side of the property!
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:37:32 AM

@wayman...this thread should be in the local courses section, and since you already have it there also you can copy and add these comments to that thread.
This is for course work on courses we actually have. thanks bud. Let`s hope this one is possible. Do what I can to help.