Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2014 Ice Bowl Krazy Series Options
brutalbrutus
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:08:55 PM

I was whining more about the wind even though it is pretty much always windy there. haha I finally get to use my "pale dolphin" style sled lol
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:32:53 PM

I managed to get holes 1-8 and 12 cleared off and salted. The rangers ran me off at 5:30 because the park was closing. He said the gates will be open by 7 on Saturday so I can finish whats left then.
Dawgii
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 10:38:44 AM

Just wanted to personally Thank you for prepping the course. It's much appreciated!
discndat
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 3:05:47 PM

Yes, thanks so much for doing that Phil. Looks like it will be a true Ice Bowl tomorrow. Low temps, possibility of more snow. Couldn't ask for more could we? Ok, don't answer that. Anyway, bundle up real good. I'll have some handwarmers. If you can bring some wood. I will try to bring some, but if it snows like they say I will not be driving my truck - not very good in the snow - so I won't be able to bring what I usually do. Spread the word to bring some wood for the fire. We will be doing signups at the big shelter with the fireplace. Just go straight when you go into the park instead of turning to go to hole one. 

Again, I would encourage you to pre-register so you don't have to hang out in the cold - AND so myself and the helpers don't have to deal with it as much. Cold fingers don't write or handle money well.

See you all out there. Oh, I'm closing the shop early today to go home and keep the pipes from freezing. This weather has been hell on the pipes - just got them in time yesterday. Somwhat frozen but not totally.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 6:29:40 PM

Leave taps slightly dripping can be helpful. See you in the morning- my local breakfast joint is closed with busted pipes. The golf will be fun tomorrow!
Phil Miller
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 10:15:28 PM

If anyone can bring an extra shovel to help out it would be awesome. It's going to be hard enough truding through the snow from hole to hole. Driving from a clean tee pad will help.
robglover
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:30:10 AM

I tried to get there--got a couple of miles from my house but had to turn around--be safe all. Glad I pre-paid so at least the food bank still gets some help.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:57:42 AM

yea I woke up earlier and my car was buried in a 3ft snowdrift
sisyphus
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:30:49 PM

Gotta confess, it WAS a little Krazy today. Definitely a unique experience, and Dan always brings the fun.

Thanks Phil and all the guys for helping with the tee pads. We didn't think ahead when we offered to start round one on hole ten, and wound up trying to clear nine tees with our feet. Ran out of salt after the second. If it wasn't so windy, the tees would've looked great in the afternoon sunshine.

Really encourage everybody to come out to AJ Jolly on the 8th. Some of us are beginning to really get a feel for how wind ruins (er, affects, I meant to say affects) our game, so we're more and more prepared for the lakeside!

Thanks to my cardmates today (Gary, Andrew, Paul, Ron & Troy) for keeping the rounds fun despite how we shot!
Troy
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:37:55 AM

Dan runs this series to help Fairhaven Rescue Mission every year. That being said the weather has caused low attendance for the first 2 events so I have brought up the idea of running a fifth event. This would help reach the goal that was set at the beginning of the series. I am putting this out there to see if there would be any interest from our disc family in helping to meet the original goal. Please call Dan at Disc n Dat or post on here to show Dan that there is an interest for a fifth tourney.
sisyphus
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:20:19 PM

OK, I'll chime in. Troy mentioned that to me yesterday, and said we could consider it a 'mulligan' tournament: an extra event to make up for the fact that the first two needed more folks. I say those who have attended both so far deserve big props for getting out there, but as one of them, I'd support opening the chance for everybody to get back in and involved in the Ice Bowl Krazy Series.

Since this is all in good fun, and goes for a great cause, I don't mind if the series competition is best 4 out of 5 events (or even 3 out of 5, for that matter). Whatever it takes to improve the fundraiser.

Who's got comments?
discwarrior
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 5:50:25 AM

That would be a great thing to do . May our winter end as fast it came
Zepledelin
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 7:44:04 AM

Unless the finale is pushed out which I doubt because it's sanctioned. There is only one weekend to squeeze one in then what if it's horrible weather. I'm sure if Dan does add any there will be plenty of takers. AJ might also be hurt a little by the tourney in Lexington. The goal was set at 4000 it sucks that it's in jeopardy of not being reached but it is a goal and getting what we can will be appreciated whether we reach the goal or not. If we play another I vote somewhere like winton good local turnout and even if the weather's bad still ok. I do live a lot closer to Boone and after my bad game I'd like another crack at it.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 8:29:35 AM

Having missed Boone, I wouldnt mind another. I suggest Winton Woods for an added tourney, with two added field holes for more flow. A great course for winter golf because discs are much easier to find(in theory). Also, playing 36 holes straight through without a lunch break makes for a short winters day if fun.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 10:42:57 AM

I don't want to rain on the parade, and for the record, I am for adding an event to add cash to the donation to Fairhaven. While weather certainly played a part in killing Harbin's attendance, I don't believe Boone was affected by this. There are other tourney's happening in every city near here on almost any given weekend so there is a lot more competition for a smaller group of people willing to play in the winter. Unfortunately weather deters most casual folks so you're not getting a lot of new players. I would say that the opportunity to play different courses for more money are drawing people away from our local Ice Bowls. I personally would probably not play at Winton because I've already played there this winter and would like to play somewhere else. Another suggestion would be to put out a donation box for cash, or maybe add a paypal donation button, so people can donate directly.
Jowsepi
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 12:33:49 PM

I think if they were sanctioned, you see more players. I skipped Boone to play in a C tier.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 1:08:02 PM

I believe that you would get a few more to show up if its sanctioned (though that would be more work for dan). Also I know several people who cant play on saturdays so that probly holds the attendance down a bit others just don't play much over the winter months. it would be nice to get turnouts like the winton new years day tourney 117. idlewild short 18 for the bonus tourney?
discndat
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 1:49:41 PM

Well, 21 brave, hardy, maybe Krazy disc golfers showed up for Ice Bowl Krazy Series #2 at Habin. A big ole "HELL YEAH!" goes out to all of them. Thank you thank you thank you. It may have been rough but you persevered through snowy hazardous roads just to get there, a cold and very windy snow blowing day to finish and there weren't any DNF's. Way to go all of you. You kept true to the motto of the Ice Bowls - No Wimps No Whiners. And most of us probably wanted to be both at some time or other that day. Scores are up on this site under results.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with checking in, scoring, firekeeping and everything else. Big thanks to Troy and Jeff for the food and coffee.

As for the talk about "mulligan" Ice Bowls I haven't decided yet. I'll take a look at the possibilities. As for attendance I think people have mentioned all the reasons and I don't have a problem with the attendance or any of the reasons for low attendance. I run the Ice Bowls with the GCFDA to "support Fairhaven Rescue Mission" - that's it. We do what we can do and I know Dave Hammers of Fairhaven is very appreciative of what we do, no matter how much we donate. 

Yes, I'll take any cash donations. You can make checks out to Fairhaven Rescue Mission - tax deductible. I won't add it to the registration page because I had an issue with Paypal on that a few years ago and just don't want to deal with it again. You can purchase raffle tickets for $2 each or 8 tickets for $10 so you get a chance at an Innova Discatcher basket as the Grand Prize and a bunch of other goodies will also be given out.

rangel
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 2:04:30 PM

Zepledelin wrote:
AJ might also be hurt a little by the tourney in Lexington.

Not sure about this comment.  AJ is 2/8.  Lexington is 2/15.
Troy
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 2:10:35 PM

I will bring all my extra discs to AJ Jolly and sell them for $2.00 each with all the proceeds going to Fairhaven. Most of them are like new so help out Fairhaven and help me get them out of the trunk of my car.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 6:30:19 PM

rangel wrote:

Not sure about this comment.  AJ is 2/8.  Lexington is 2/15.
  I think he might be referring to me telling him I couldn't afford to play in all 3 tourneys aj, lex, and Lincoln ridge
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:06:00 PM

If anybody talks to Brian Trapp have him call me or e-mail me.
Zepledelin
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:25:21 AM

I was wondering if the finale is going to be all 24?
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:10:12 AM

Typically we skip the creek holes as they can be a mess this time of year
discndat
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:55:01 AM

NatiBuckeye is correct. We usually wait until closer to tourney time to decide. We have what's called a Winter 20 that we play that is minus 14, 15, 16, and 17 - the creek holes he's talking about. We'll see as we get closer.