Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Favorite round of 2013 Options
slg6218
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 3:58:12 PM

Just wanted to ask every one what their favorite round was in 2013.  Not your best round necessarily, but the one you enjoyed the most.  For me it was a round I played at Paint Creek State Park.  I had a rare day off work and decided to drive up and spend the day playing Pike Lake and Rocky Fork.  It was early fall and the drive is half the fun.  As I was driving out US 50, I saw the signs for Paint Creek  and remembered they had a course there as well.  I decided to give it a try.  What a great surprise.  The course was in great shape and the leaves were just starting to turn.  I had the entire course to myself.  When you get back among the tall pines on some of the middle holes, it is just the prettiest course you can imagine.  After a quick morning round I drove down to US 41 and stopped at my favorite Amish bakery for a terrific ham and cheese on homemade bread.  I felt so good I went back and played a second round at Paint Creek.  As I sat on the teepad back in the woods among the tall pines, waiting for a doe and her fawn to clear the fairway, I remembered what I love about the sport.  For the afternoon I was able to get away from the grind of the world, relax, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors.   
dettmerb
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:31:22 PM

I also made the trip to play those courses in the fall. Awesome day trip.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:41:52 PM

That's crazy, my brother, nephew and son made the same trip. Love all three of those courses and taken together they are a perfect day trip. AND it's crazy that you ALSO mentioned the Amish restaurant. That's the Country Crust right outside of Bainbridge. If I'm ever in the vicinity I always make sure to end up there. Heck, we've driven up there just for their sandwiches. Their pretzels and pizza are great too. The Amish country store just up the road is a must stop if you are there too. Looks like we have similar tastes in disc golf courses and food. HAHA I love the holes back in the tall pines too. Obviously they were planted years ago and the straight lines just make for some incredibly beautiful fairways. I've tried to talk people into checking out these courses, not always successfully. Glad to see others have enjoyed them too. The first time I played Rocky Fork was right after they installed the course. There was about six inches of snow on the ground and we had to guess where the tee areas were intended to be. The last time I had my kayak with me and took a little spin out in the lake and was accompanied by an otter for a while. Pike has some really fun hillside holes that are unlike any here in the Cincy area. The one near the end that plays along, and over, the creek is always a treat when the water is running strong. OK, now I'm getting excited about another trip up there.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 7:44:22 PM

Oh yeh, forgot to mention on the way home from that trip this summer we stopped just outside Bainbridge when we saw a bald eagle right along the road in a tree above Paint Creek (or Rocky Fork, now I can't remember what runs along SR 50 out there) ...crazy beautiful. He let us walk up to about 100 feet before he flew off.
sisyphus
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 11:04:49 PM

I think my favorite round of the year was my spring visit to Simsbury in Pickerington. Went to meet an online friend and throw a round. Had been there the previous fall and shot a 66 from the longs. We played casual short tees, and he kept talking about the fact that he was having one of his best rounds ever there at his home course. I think he shot a 53. I just kept quiet, because I threw a scorching personal best there of 47!
patrickmorgan12
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:50:01 AM

My favorate round of 2013 was in the middle of the year playing a few rounds in North Carolina. Was definately not my best round but my round as Sugaree disc golf course. Sugaree is for the golf. Now i have a best scenic golf course and that is Ashe county park that i played in that same week.
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 10:48:49 AM

My favorite round was at Ace Handyman Hardware in Dayton. I had driven up to the area for an assessment for work and decided to play a round while I was in the area. I had never played any of the Dayton courses and this one was 10 minutes from where I was. While I was at the gas station buying a tall can my boss called me to inform me that I had gotten the promotion! A close second was the round I played at North Georgia Canopy Tours with my mom, sister and brother. My brother is a fellow golfer but it was fun to finally show my mom and sister that what I had dedicated all my free time to was more than just a silly hobby but a sport that requires a lot of skill.