Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Propose a new rule Options
Jowsepi
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 7:16:55 PM

I say that discs inside of 30 feet of the basket shouldn't be allowed to be marked. Play it where it lies. All baskets for tournament play should be marked with a 30 foot ring in paint. It will make players have a disc ready and I think it would speed up tournaments.

Thoughts?
perica
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:52:37 PM

You'd start hating your own rule after your first missed putt that you couldn't mark and finish out with your "butter" putter.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:03:43 PM

or for instance a player only carries one putter that wouldn't be fair
joshtrum
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:33:34 PM

Jowsepi wrote:
I say that discs inside of 30 feet of the basket shouldn't be allowed to be marked. Play it where it lies. All baskets for tournament play should be marked with a 30 foot ring in paint. It will make players have a disc ready and I think it would speed up tournaments.

Thoughts?

I'm kinda split on this because lately I have not been marking my disc but instead have been playing from the lie, but there are some times where you feel those extra three to 5 inches help haha
Jowsepi
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:53:29 PM

Brutus, use some tournament winnings and buy a second putter. Something besides a challenger. I think marking it makes me think about the putt more.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 1:08:08 AM

lol I wasn't speaking about me I usually have four or five putters haha but your right that I almost always use my flx challenger to putt with and I also a lot of the time inside of 5-6 ft just pull another disc out and finish so I see what you mean with the idea I just think having two separate rules is redundant considering that can choose to mark or not mark under the current rule. pace of play is only really a problem when tournaments are at max capacity or a particular group is having problems with lost discs or high shot totals
Zepledelin
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 8:55:15 AM

The 30 second rule being used and everyone helping look for lost discs is really lacking in the few tourneys I've played in. That causes a slow pace.
Jay Dub
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:16:14 AM

Jowsepi wrote:

Thoughts?

Are you willing to paint this circle around all the baskets for these tournaments? It takes time and effort.
And why 30 feet?
Jowsepi
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:14:41 PM

30 feet is the "balanced putt" rule. And yes, I would be willing to paint the line around the baskets. I think it would be helpful.
Jowsepi
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:15:12 PM

30 feet is the "balanced putt" rule. And yes, I would be willing to paint the line around the baskets. I think it would be helpful.
Zepledelin
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:43:13 PM

I think he said why 30 feet the rule is 10 meters =32 feet 9 and 45/64 inches.
Jowsepi
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:42:12 PM

Yeah, I mean the 10 meter rule.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:29:58 PM

I don't want any new rules. I would just like to see rules actually enforced. 30seconds, lost discs, illegal substances, 2 meter (always)
the brumley
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 9:21:31 PM

I don't see where this rule will speed any thing up. It takes around 2 seconds to mark your disc, the problem is long routines but as long as it's not a unbelievable amount of time there's no need to call that person out. And the 10 meter rule would not make a lot of sense on top of that because most people I know don't mark there lie unless it's a putt.
Troy
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 4:59:50 AM

Slow play is caused by slow players. I agree that enforcing the current rules would be the best answer.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 12:55:52 PM

Lmao, somebody bring a stopwatch because I have and even folks with lengthy setups don't go over 30 sec. 95% of the time. Let's face it, waiting to throw sucks.

I propose a four or five foot circle around each basket allowing any player in the group to pick up "gimmies". Last year, I had a player in a B tier argue whether something was in or out when no part of his disc was in, clearly. So...
BTW the second rule in the Rules of Disc Golf says, it is against the rules NOT to call them. Next time you play basketball just walk with the ball, no big deal, it is just a rule. Only, small children and Republicrats want to play by no rules.
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 1:29:20 PM

If the PDGA were to seriously address the illegal substance rules, rounds would surely speed up. I mean if only ten people show up to play we could have 3somes and empty holes between every card. Less cards to count after each round to.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 3:04:41 PM

i think to many people are used to playing in small groups or by themselves, on half empty courses. when you get a lot of people on the course the times are gonna be slower than when there isn't. Also more often than not, IMO, slow tourney rounds are usually caused by the courses rather than the players. For instance the backup holes no.11 at tcreek, no12 at winton, no6 at banklick, no 17 at Monroe and the obvious no 15 at idle wild. Further more tournament rounds are just gonna take longer than casual rounds. Everyone is at max concentration for most of the day.
DiscDogNation
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 3:33:48 PM

brutalbrutus wrote:
i think to many people are used to playing in small groups or by themselves, on half empty courses. when you get a lot of people on the course the times are gonna be slower than when there isn't. Also more often than not, IMO, slow tourney rounds are usually caused by the courses rather than the players. For instance the backup holes no.11 at tcreek, no12 at winton, no6 at banklick, no 17 at Monroe and the obvious no 15 at idle wild. Further more tournament rounds are just gonna take longer than casual rounds. Everyone is at max concentration for most of the day.

Dude ... I have YET to see you concentrate on a round of golf and you know FULL WELL we have been paired up on a few cards already this year.

I agree though ... some holes are the issue but more often or not people are socializing much more than paying attention to who is out or who is up next (I must have asked my card 6 times who was waiting for who last weekend). I also see some people with long routines before each throw but I think that may be the minority.

As for calling people out ... that can be difficult for some. I started an argument earlier this year because I called someone out who was taking so long ther cards behind us was heckling us ... we settled it eventually but it was uncomfortable for a few holes.

I'm not sure how to do it but if there was a way to make sure EVEERYONE understood the rules (even for a small C-Tier) that might help matters.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 4:34:16 PM

OK maybe I should have said most people are at max concentration. And yes I do tend to talk a lot but have you ever seen me not ready to go when it is my turn? In fact usually I am walking to far out ahead because I want to get to my lie and look at it and have to apologize and get out of the way( I know this has happened to you this year a couple times). I just think some people are making to big a deal about this. It only comes up as an issue when tournaments are at or over capacity or there is one group on the course with either more players than the ones behind. or they are taking an absurd amount of time. Would you all rather have the ablity to lets groups play through? though that would probably only be possible when tourneys are not full and there are gaps around the course.

and also I might be understating the length of rounds. I grew up playing ball golf and as anyone who plays knows it usually takes 330-5 hrs for one round of ball golf, and that's with carts. Also, on the weekends I play with the slowest group of humans to ever walk a disc course, so a 230-3 hr tournament round doesn't really bother me unless there is a huge backup on one hole.

also I think blaming the stoners for this is a cop out. I have played two c tiers this year and haven't seen one person breaking that rule during the round. Now the local tourney's are a different matter, but most of time its usually being done when there is a backup on the course.
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:10:01 PM

if anybody has ever played on a card with me they know I am at full concentration...i barely talk...however i might be spaced out during the second round lol
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:15:13 PM

also I have nothing against illegal substances...unless it's steroids...but rarely see it in effect on during a round, especially not pdga (although i am guilty of breaking that rule once on the walk between holes) and I agree with brock...seems to be a cop out from players who like to blame others for their bad play. Last time I checked this is not ball golf, it's actually everything thing ball golf isn't that's part of the appeal...look at tom monroe, he used to play tournaments shirtless...pretty sure that's against dress code these days. o yea, pro ball golfers smoke weed during tournaments...

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6729348
alex.e
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:21:50 PM

Rule 8, Section B Chapter 3.3 The possession of illegal substances in violation of Federal, State or Local laws. The use of marijuana is not permitted at PDGA events, regardless of the possession of a medical marijuana card.

so as long as you toke up before the round and don't have anything on you the squares can't say squat laugh 
Zepledelin
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:08:44 AM

I doubt alcohol is permitted either. Instead of people going along in a round unhappy with people not playing within the rules say something then. It doesn't do much of anything after the fact. Call time someone fires up call it I have no problem in a organized game to play within the rules. A lot of what goes on depends on the card you're on. Disc golf was built on the backs of stoners. Who else would think of this game?
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:09:48 AM

All I can say is that as a TD, if I see you doing it, you are forcing my hand to DG you, IF I don't and someone knows this I can lose my PDGA membership and could also hurt the Club, so please don't at our events...besides, you should play better without it.