Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Issues & questions Options
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 8:20:07 PM

Everything ok out there with the website? If you do find a problem, let us know and we will get it fixed.
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 5:57:49 AM

Some good ideas. Per hole average is interesting but I think it would have problems as well. Take Banklick, there's a couple different 24 hole configurations that can be used. We used the throw from the shelter over the lake and a long throw back when other times we play across from #18. Next year, we'll probably be playing holes after #13 instead of breaking #17 into two throws and throwing at the practice basket. So to me this suggests calculating the World Class Par (WCP) each time. Perhaps, if when entering results I can set up something to automatically calculate WCP based on say, the Open division, that might work. Thinking about the PDGA, they do stuff like that per round which can accomodate rain, snow, wind, frogs, locusts, etc.

Weighting would have a similiar issue. It wouldn't be bad for just adding holes but when you take away some that are part of the existing course and add others, I might as well recalculate.

I know some people love to add holes but I'm one for play it as is and do an entirely temporary course if you want to be creative. This also lets us test out course design if there's any possibility of one going in. For now, the quick fix would probably be to exclude them. Long term, like when Banklick does go to 24, We will have two vastly different configurations so anyone calculating over time will have some screwy results. Since people are using this fun stat, I'll see what I can do.
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 12:45:20 PM

Ok, I've been adding a timeline to each course page. I can't tell you how many times people start talking about when this or that happened. I've found almost all the useful info. Russ Toelke was able to get all the Hamilton co park's dates and more info came from old newsletters. Here's what's left:
When was Banklick moved to it's current location (1986?)
When was the original 9 hole Oxford course installed?
Znash
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 10:10:43 AM

Try to E-Mail Steve Rayoand he is the Oxford disc golf president his E-mail is rayosr@muohio.edu he may be able to tell you when the course went in or how to ask.
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2004 5:47:51 AM

Zac, The message board is one fo those free to try but pay if you are going to keep things. The Cincy club did send off money so we could legitimize the use of it. What that was I don't remember but it wasn't over $50. I would have liked to stay with the old board but our host locked their sites down more and we can't write files through scripts /code anymore. This meant we had to go to a database based board. This one runs on a Microsoft Access database through Active Server Pages (ASP) code.

As far as entering scores, here's the deal. I use a small Microsoft Access database on my local computer. It somewhat fills in the name as you type based on previous participants. This is nice especially when names are difficult to read. I take that and upload it to the website which then transfers the data over to main database. All CCS standings are calculated and automatically generated as are all the tournament results pages. I only use the small database because I don't want to have upload the entire CCS history every time I make changes. I can edit scores, places, etc from a webpage control panel I built. I know what you're thinking but entering scores this way would be considerably more tedious.

The score entry system can be run on any PC with MS-Access and generally takes me 1/2 hour to enter scores for one tournament. The web end of things must use a server that can execute ASP scripts. That's about the only limitations I'm aware of. Let me know what the Dayton guys want & who to give it to, and I can see about getting it to them.
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 6:28:11 PM

April changes to the website:
-Added pictures to Cabin Creek web page. Thanks to Adam Berner for providing those.
-Junior course challenge info added & flyer remade & compacted to html file
-Added Colerain / Wilhelm course page. Has plans & a picture from the road.
-Added league teams & schedule. Will post weekly results if they are sent to me
-posting info on the World's Biggest and High School championships
-went to Hillsboro this past Saturday and helped with designing. Snapped a few pics. Played Pike Lake State Park. Nice course, 14 of 18 baskets are in. Made a course map of Hillsboro last night.
-Added club "mini" page to http://www.discgolfclubs.info
-a million little details that I forget

I wonder if Fred would be willing to switch and take care of the website for a while and I'll work on Idlewild. I'd love the break ;)
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 4:32:43 AM

new users: I was notified that website did not email out a password for a new user. If you are having trouble, contact me and I'll get you setup. I went through the signup process and it did take a few minutes but i did get the email. It's very possible a spam filter might see an email from here as junk mail.
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 6:21:49 PM

Hooray! We're back in business. First the entire site was down, then just the msg board. In short, I believe our host moved the site to a new server and had used a copy from about a month and half ago. Note the lack of current Ice Bowl threads! I had also updated the front page and that also reverted back to a previous version. In moving us, they did not activate the club's login so I couldn't fix what they broke until now.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 8:40:27 PM

Yay! We're back! The website's sabatical has given me a new understanding of how important this website is to the Club.

Bunch of stuff needs to get dealt with by the February 14th meeting: Sign board for Mt. Airy which Liz Ransdell has done a great job procuring needs to get planted at Burnet Woods, I've got new board cards to print - I need to get the best dimensions for the cards for the new scoreboard which Dan is ordering for the Club (Club paying for), I need to talk to Course Challenge Coordinator for 2005 Nick Engel to nail down the GCFDA Course Challenge Schedule, I've got to get an answer as to why the PDGA doesn't show the Flying Pig on the annual weekend as well (as find out why Dayton is planning to Bogart that weekend for the Wright Bros), I need to make a new Course Challenge TD summary sheet, and possibly even print a new batch of scorecards. We also need volunteers to host a couple of Club meetings. The February 14th meeting is at the Silverton Cafe, at 7 p.m., on Montgomery Road just west of Plainfield. More on these issues on the GCFDA thread, but I just wanted to put that down on paper to remind myself to address them.

Paul, any chance we can look into a new website host company, if this one is going to screw with us so often?
NEngle
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:28:22 PM

Found this the other night.

http://cincinnati-atlas.com/entertainment/sports/

They've got us listed with the Reds & Bengals. We're big time now baby!

Click on Cincinnati Frisbee Golf to the right and it takes you to a great page. They even give the club (Paul) credit.

Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:34:18 AM

Thanks Paul. I would have put The Ultimate thread there, but the category heading is 'Tournaments' and thought maybe it belonged down by leagues where the category is "Informal Events." That way, the thread would always stay current and that might help the club get enough people to show so that they can play Ultimate and not its weaker version -- Hot Box...

(seasoned message board users know how to find new stuff but someone new to the site may not dig beneathe the current threads -- also i didn't want Ultimate to dim the spotlight off the new BagTag thread...)

I was also thinking you might put a link to the Lexington disc golf website below the ones for C-bus and Dayton on the Events page unless you've got something against UK .. i mean Kentucky :)
PaulDmt
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:56:29 PM

Pride park distances and pictures now available - Thanks to J.P. Mayer for contributing those.

I sat down and made the Amelia course map so it's now posted as well.
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:29:42 AM

• Added Turtlecreek course page
  • Revised Banklick map
  • Revised Idlewild records & distances
  • Posted Weather Channel info, transcript coming soon
  • Get high school results posted
  • Updated spring league results
Still looking to make Grant County/Crittenden & Turtlecreek maps. Our city map and directions also need updating.
discndat
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:38:55 AM

Thanks for all your hard work Paul. There's probably a lot of people who just take this site for granted and don't understand all the work you do to keep it up. Thanks a bunch.
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 10:18:06 PM

Turtlecreek pics posted. I did a little different style to them. Let me know if it works or not...
TheBestKeith
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 2:34:17 PM

Paul, nice job on the pics for TurtleCreek. However, the "Course Map" doesn't work. Wasn't sure if you were aware of this.
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 3:05:47 PM

Since the one or two people out there like to gripe and take cheap shots but do not show who they are, I've decided to turn off the anonymous posting. Its something I've considered in the past but never implemented. Apologies to Concerned and all those Concerned out there. I'd be happy to help setup an account for you if you wish to remain anonymous.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:41:45 PM

While Fred has all the old school disc skillz, his new school (hi-tech) 'disc' skills need a little work :)

i put them on disc (cd-rom) tonight and will give it to you when i can. any plans to play Idlewild soon? :brow

the pic.s are schweeet!

we need to take a pic still of 14 short (from the tee) -- Fred is a bit too used to the longs and must've forgot there's a short tee for 14 laugh

i think the shot of 16's tee could use an update too to reflect the tree about 30 feet from the teepad that was taken out *after* the ones Bob and Matt took out on that hole to further open up the anhyzer route...
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:30:56 AM

Paul, could you start a new thread area for Local tournaments other than the Pig and Disc 'n Dat so that PDGA sanctioned tourneys like the KY States at Idlewild, the upcoming Masters tournament at Idlewild next year, and the tourney Nick may put on at AJ Jolly have a prominent place to be posted as well?

(it doesn't make sense to post them under Course Challenges, Informal Events, or Out of Town Tournaments)
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:15:28 PM

Msgboard was down this morning. Fixed it but I think it went corrupt due to space issues on the website. I'll be removing the weather channel interview shortly since that is a monster.
rangel
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 5:40:12 AM

Rob,
There is a open source project (read free) available called Open Office (www.openoffice.org). Works a LOT like Microsoft Office. I know you can take WORD documents and make PDF files. This feature works really well. Not sure about Publisher files. You can't download this thru a dial-up. It's huge.
I've used this product. It's good.
Rod.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2005 10:09:44 AM

All the Newsletters have (finally) been mailed out, but for those people on the email list, unfortunately the email versions are on hold due to the file size (6 meg) and my dial-up connection (not to mention my not wanting to clog your email accounts by overloading them). It will be about a week before I get a copy of Acrobat which will allow me to convert the Publisher version of the GCFDA Fall 05 Newsletter into a pdf format that will greatly reduce the size...

till then, i'll keep exploring other options. thanks Rod for the OpenOffice.org site.
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 6:21:37 PM

Looks like all the pages are back to normal. If anyone runs across a page that is no longer working, please post or email me. Once again, I credit our wonderful host for the latest round of aggrevation. Criteria for a new host: 1) Be a major player, for all we know this bunch could be kids hosting it out of their basement
2) at least 100 meg of space
3) Active Server Pages (ASP) friendly
4) Reasonable price
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:45:34 PM

Looks like our switch is nearly complete. I am aware of one issue. The email that goes out for forgetten passwords or new user registration is down. If anyone spots anything else broken please inform me.
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:22:16 PM

Email issue looks like it's resolved now as well. So anyone run across problems? Bring 'em on! Let hear what you found!