Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Dragon
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 3:39:16 PM

I was down there Sunday and, noticed hole #4 has cement edging going up to and around the on deck area. It looks great and, who ever is doing it; keep the good work up.
Dragon
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:25:15 PM

Fred,Getting people to volunteer for work is frustrating but, it is coming along; just slowly. Try not to get discouraged. People care about disc golf, it is the up-keep that they don't have a mutual relationship with. They fail to see the relative importance of the arrangement of it's parts. A matter of perspective. The interelation in which a subject or it's parts are mentally viewed. The capacity to view things in their relative importance.{Webster) Otherwise, if we {the people} do not maintain the course; it may go to pot. No pun intended. What I loged on for, is to ask; do you have any photos of holes 3,7, or 11 of the warm weather season?
jstilgenbauer
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 9:15:17 AM

I think the WCP for the shorts is off a little bit. 62 seems about right. I'd say #3 from the shorts would be about 1 stroke easier on average. #13 would be 1.5 easier, and #14 would be 2 strokes easier. So about 5 strokes easier overall for a WC player.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 12:39:53 PM

Here's the reply I received on WCP for Idlewild:

Dan,
> Thanks for your feedback.
> We have the Idlewood short course as Ams only for the first 2 rounds.
Based upon your comments, I think 60 is fairly accurate for this course.
>
> A person whose player rating is 900 should expect to shoot about 70 on
that course.
> The SSA (statistical scoring average) of 60 is based upon 56 players with
player ratings averaged about 900. They all shot around 70.
>
> A player with a 1000 rating could expect to shoot a 60 or less on a
regular basis on this course. There are only 88 such players in the world,
and only 3 in KY. I would expect to see very few scores of 60 or less, and,
you say there were only 2.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger Smith

matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2004 4:00:28 PM

Doubles at Idlewild, Larry And AL shot 60 from the longs with it raining some are last five holes, with a 25 ft spit out that was perfect on 17. No bogies.
Rob Johnson and I shot 64 with 3 bogies and some other mistakes, two 2's on are card, 4 and 11.
Fred and his partner from michigan shot 66
Derek Kathman and another guy from michigan shot ??68??

Very Windy day so that 60 is even better than what it seems, good playin fellows
PaulDmt
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 6:15:15 AM

Don, Bob, & myself put some more work time in Saturday. Don started off working on #16's bench with help from Allen.

I started by cleaning those little fingers up high on #9, cut down some of the dead wood on #7, located the alternate pin on #17 and did a little cleaning there. I also added some stepping blocks on #18 to try and get past the soggy area.

Bob came and we helped Don with his bench and secured one of his bridges against flooding, removed some of the barbed wire near 16's tee,
and cut some of the designated trees on #10. We were a little puzzled as some of those trees don't stick out as far as some that aren't designated. It seems to me that of what's left, only some of the smaller trees at the very end on the right need to go as they have the "fingers" sticking out. We finished up with a little work on alt #9.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 7:43:59 PM

An easy hole on Idlewild? Perish the thought! ;-)
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 11:36:59 AM

I agree lengthing 5,6, or 13 would be cruel. 14 in the alternate isn't bad from the shorts but from the long is rough. So, just in the spirit of pointing out stuff - that would mean you would have to toughen other holes. For the greatest impact, best to upgrade an easy hole. So Yes, 4 would be near the top of the list as it is far too easy. When a group plays it, doesn't the vast majority usually deuce it?
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 6:58:53 PM

Why don't we just leave the course the way it is, but on hole 18, instead of using the existing basket, let's use the long placement...#18's basket at Boone! That would give it a pro par of about 150, which if pure number of strokes is the measure of course quality and challenge, would guarantee the best course in the country...

Rob J
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:40:30 PM

Pete, now you sound like Bob :). Maybe we ought to only let people who have more than a hundred hours of volunteer work in the course at Idlewild vote on course changes. That will shut me and a lot of others up, unless we can lower it to about 25 hours and then a few more of us can talk. Anyone besides Fred and Don have more than a 100 hours there? Paul? Ken? ...

One last question Pete, would all roads between Idlewild 18's teepad and Boone's 18 basket be OB, and also are there any Mandos?
STEVO
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 8:28:19 AM

Move #4 straight back 30 feet and the deuces will be cut in half. Move it where it's proposed, and it'll be just another righty hole (guess that's the idea).
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 10:06:46 AM

The idea behind Idlewild was to challenge all your skills. If we move it 30 feet back it will just be an easy forehand with a little more effort for a RHBH player. If we move it 50 farther back than that it would make it too far of a walk back to tee #5.

I think we should clear out the new placement and see how it plays and go from there. I also think it should be an easy forhand for a lefty and an easy hyzer for a righty but it will be more difficult than the placement where it is now, which is what we're looking for.

First we need to clear it out, hopefully before the Bluegrass open.
Concerned
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 9:31:10 AM

It is good to hear my name RobJ and me being mentioned by ole' Fredwin as well. I've been gone far to long and for that my apologies and I'm saddened for time lost. I smirked and sputtered much laughter oh I did at the thought of being called this Russ as that is not I! Possibly a meeting or round of solid D would be the place we should meet and talk of old times and ideas abound. Oh many I do have, ideas and due thoughts. Hello and good summer to all. The winter has been long and seemingly harsh to us and other outdoor types and for that matter disc golfers and others who whirl abound. True I've been in a bit of a tiss and bad mood due to weather conditions and I would like to apologize for ignoring our fine and informative site and that of Cincy golf ah it is good to be back. Zippy my good friend and yes also James have pleaded for my return and I have agreed and will cooperate ! While away I did make agreements with a local basket maker and have contacted three different tree removal companies who wish to remain anonymous. Ah good men they are. Since I've been gone I am sure Fredwin and Philly cheese have been making changes at many local courses. I will await there report and make assessments. I trust I shall be very pleased with the progress. True it is, the Bike trail contractors and builders of sorts have beaten us to the punch and slight of hand oh a fine course they have completed. I urge us to have this type of commitment and strive forward. I'll write back soon and look forward to the others you will join our efforts. I have to get, picking up mulch and borrowing my brother's neighbor's truck. A stinky butt he must have for this truck has a stinch. As always "Let those sweet babies soar"...I'm out!
NEngle
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 9:40:05 PM

While Zack's poor grammar may sometimes read like Concerned's steam of conscious posts, I don't think the two are one in the same. Robj on the other hand.........

btw, I'm not so sure this last post was truly Concerned. Too many grammatical errors, and Concerned often had trouble with fonts. He also used to have something (arguably) valid to say. Paul, can you confirm that this last post came from the same IP address as the previous ones?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 10:40:24 PM

Concerned also mentioned that he beat me in a tournament a while back. Although lots of people have beaten me non of the better open players are suspect. I agree with above post and I have an idea who it is but I dare not expose him for it's too much fun waiting for his next post. Lay it on us concerned.
Joe Rott
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 2:19:11 PM

Played holes 1 through 10 yesterday and two holes seemed a little off on the posted par.
Hole #2 posted as par 4; should be par 3 IMO. I usually average 3.5, so I'm sure some one better than me would two or three it regularly.

Hole #10 posted as par 4; should be par 5 IMO. 600'!!!! I usually get a 5 or 6. But I got a 4 yesterday!!

Does anyone keep the CC score cards? It would be pretty interesting to see the average scoring per hole, and per division of Idlewild. You could rank the course from the most diffucult hole to the easiest hole.

Two easiest: #4 and #9
Two hardest: #6 and long #14

Any other opinions?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 8:29:23 PM

Don, I went with no steps on hole #4. It looks pretty good and it's less stress on the knees. I will be painting the cylindors on Saturday. So who will be the first to sign the "Walk of Fame".
I am having a sign made up this week hopefully it will be ready by Friday. Does this sound alright to everyone. "Idlewild Walk of Fame - PDGA Members Only" Since there are only so many cylindors available I didn't want just anyone signing them.
I'm thinking of reserving the top cylindors for World Champions and Hall of Fame Players only.
What do you all think?
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 6:54:57 AM

That sounds real good Fred. I do have a feeling there might be a few "fake" members. I can't wait to see Idlewild. I haven't been there since the Icebowl. Need to get out and see what everyone's been doing. Thanks Fred for all you do for Idlewild and all the other courses in the area. We're really lucky to have someone like you to forge the way in course improvement and upkeep.
frizgolf
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 3:56:23 PM

Don, you da man! Bow Down Wave
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 1:00:38 AM

Don, Alan Clore was out on Monday mowing with a push mower that he bought for $50.00. He plans on leaving it at the course since he lives in an apartment. He pushed mowed #5, #6 and #3 fairways, can you beleive it. Are you guys related. I'm really impressed with all the players stepping up at Idlewild. Liz just adopted #4 and plans on beautifing it before the tournament at the end of the month. Brian Ard has been busting butt on his hole also. I finally got off my arse and built a bridge on hole #15, I hope it holds up. I will also be out at Idlewild on Saturday.
Idlewild will have a few unique changes for the tournament that should make it a couple of strokes tougher without getting crazy. Just wait and see.
Josh17
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 8:25:48 AM

I was wondering if there were any holes left to adopt. I don't get to go to banklick as much as i used to and idlewild is closer to me now making it my home course. I want to do my part for the course so if someone can post the holes that still need to be adopted i'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 12:00:19 PM

Mike, I will have them drop some mulch today or tomorrow. I will try to get them to drop it on your fairway or at least down the path towards #7tee from 6 basket. You know what I mean. I will bring my wheelbarrow and stuff on Saturday.

Josh, Holes #18, #17, #15, #12, #10, are still available. Just let me know. Come out on Saturday if you can. Thanks for the interest.
Fred
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 7:30:56 PM

Mulch was dropped off by the parks at the first landing area for hole 10 (that isn't where Fred asked them to drop it off, but at least they brought us some).

Don was again a huge help volunteering not only his time to help make the course better but also his equipment.

Alan "huge help" Clore mowed more fairways today -- a huge green area for hole 11, a fairway and green for hole 13, and he helped me mow fairways for 14 long and short and we also mowed a green area. You have to like a guy who started emptying all the garbages at each hole of Idlewild on his own to help out, even before meeting Fred.

Fred painted half of the over 200 cement cores that line hole 4's Walk of Fame.

Thanks to Paul for helping too -- I had to leave to mow my own yard around 4pm -- I hear Brian Ard came out and did more work and mowing on hole 2.

Thanks everyone who helps make my favorite course more playable and the best 18 holes of disc golf challenge I've ever come across. (Fred, you are the man!)
Znash
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2004 6:18:43 AM

Way to go Dragon. I have to say that the course look better than I have ever seen it before. Thank you all for your hard work on one of the best course that I have ever played.

Big THANK YOU to Freddy!!!?
discndat
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2004 9:20:46 AM

Yes, have to agree, it is looking great! Thanks to Fred and all the Adopt-a-Hole people.