Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 11:06:17 PM

The impression i got is that Idlewild may have trouble getting a great rating because it is specificly designed for top pros, whereas the pdga course ratings system seems to evaluate how a given course plays for all skill levels. Since a great deal of the PDGA membership are not even close to being 1000 rated players, that means an ideal course might have three sets of tees for each hole to accomodate different skill levels.

The Cincinnati area is blessed with many courses and therefore a course like Idlewild adds a welcome challenge for players so inclined -- but many areas aren't so blessed and therefore the course evaluation is skewed away from giving a course like Idlewild its due.

hopefully i am mistaken, but that's the impression i get. That said, sprucing up/updating the tee signs (and even marking the short and long tees) would probably help Idlewild get a better rating and would make it more out-of-town-visitor-friendly...
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 7:48:26 AM

I know it's been said before, but a course like Idlewild is very strong in the dimension of the mental fortitude that is needed (ie. having a short memory, stay focused on the shot at hand, etc.) and that is a HUGE part of(any type of) golf. IMO, that should be worth something...just yesterday I was out there and I didn't feel like i was having a very great round. I'd hit a few trees, missed a few putts, etc....but i refused to pay attention to my score and tried to just stay focused on each shot. I ended up shooting a personal best without ever having that 'I'm having a good round' feeling. Just shows what kind of course that is.

So even if it doesn't get a great rating, I still think it's more than deserving of a big tournament.

pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 4:43:34 PM

I agree Ben, but as you can see from the local turnout at the tournaments held there, few have the fortitude to handle the course. Many players like the pitch and putt type of course. 4 on a par 5 is the same as a 2 on a par 3 - birdie.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:04:55 PM

I spoke with Chuck for almost 2 hours after we played on July 20. He actually, generally, liked Idlewild for the most part. He said it was ahead of its time and many other courses are now striving to becoming "GOLD" type courses (those which cater to top, gold level pros whose player ratings are approaching 1000 or more) with par being greater than 54 for 18 holes.

He stressed that a good, tough hole should require a player to throw a good (if not exceptional) shot (or maybe 2 or 3 good shots in the case of a par 4 or par 5 respectively) in order to have a putt for birdie. For an example, hole 10 at I.Wild requires a player to throw 2 "good" shots (especially the second shot) to have a birdie putt, whereas holes 8 or 11, after a decent drive, require only an average second shot to get under the basket in 2. I do real.ize that some players are actually trying to get a 2 on these holes. In other words, according to Chuck, as I recall, there are easy par 4's that require 1 and 1/2 shots to get to the basket and there are tough par 4's that require 2 shots.

He also stressed attaining holes which could have large swings in score among gold level pros, i.e. hole 6 at I.W. which has been 3'ed by Fred Salaz and nearly 10'nd by most of us who have played it enough. I think a seven throw swing would fit into Chuck's category for a good "swing" hole.

Chuck also spoke about the difference between aesthetics and difficulty of holes - which holes come to mind at I.W??? Hole 11 is one that Chuck said should have a pin placement about 330 ft. from the tee, straight in line and framed by the KY. "Y". It probably would be a memorable hole - an ace run on a downhill hole. I, personally, like where it is now, but would also enjoy an optional, different look on occasion. Chuck admired and complimented on the bridges, walls, walkways, etc. on the course.

Chuck had at least one minor suggestion for each hole at I.W. and he said he would write them down and share with Fred when he had a chance (probably after the worlds).

I think Chuck has some good ideas - I do not agree with all of them, but, perhaps, we can learn something from him, his experience, theories, high tech analysis of courses, etc. and strive to make Idlewild not only the toughest, but also the most aesthetically pleasing and fun to play course in the world.

Please respond fellow strivers for the perfect course.

NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:01:46 PM

I would like to see it become the best course.  Not necessarily the toughest.
Znash
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:24:16 AM

Chuck who?
NEngle
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 5:07:22 AM

Craig Law shot a 57 from the shorts last night.  Is that the record?
Znash
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2005 7:23:36 AM

Nice shooting Crag, I know I pick a good doubles partner.
M_Boland
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:44:12 PM

Nash, did you ever find out why Craig never showed Sunday?
Znash
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:37:54 AM

Quote:
Originally written by M_Boland on 8/3/2005 2:44 PM

Nash, did you ever find out why Craig never showed Sunday?

Since I didn't play on Sat. he thought that I wasn't going to play on Sun. or at least that's what he told me.
M_Boland
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:06:40 PM

Nash, can you tell me whats going down this Sunday at Dayton. I forget the name of the event, but I know some people that want to go. course and tee time please. thanks
discgolfwebguy
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 5:46:19 AM

There is nothing going on this sunday, I think you might be thinking og the Eastwood Lake Doubles scheduled for next sunday August 14th:

Cost is $40 for open div

$30 for all am div

am div will be adv and am II

tee off 10 am

It's now posted at Belmont and Fisher

The set up will be close to what it was like in May

Hope to see ya there

ps $2 per player will be put aside for Sycamore Trails in Miamisburg
Rob J
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 9:43:27 AM

pretty funny that the Idlewild thread seems to be the best place to get the word out :)
discgolfwebguy
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 11:19:39 AM

C'mon guys, give us some luv!

I just got the details yesterday, and I will post them (directions also) by COB today! Sometimes I actually gotta work here! 8^)

It's not like we haven't already had an event at Eastwood earlier this year with many of you guys in attendance.

Anyway, full details will be on the website when you check back at about 5:00 pm.

-Terry
discgolfwebguy
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 12:56:55 PM

There, posted...BLBLBLBLBNLBNBLLL!

http://www.daytondiscgolf.org/
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 6:51:43 PM

Someone stole a concrete cylindor on hole #4 and vandalized the bridge on #14. I'm seriously thinking of quitting this stupid game. It's getting very old having to fix things that shouldn't need fixing. We can't seem to get ahead.
Nobody ****ing cares anyway....
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 8:56:42 PM

What was wrong with the bridge on 14?

Was it a couple of planks broken in the middle of it? I can't remember what hole that was, maybe 14? I was walking on air at that point, as I ACED short 14 last night!

Keith
Rob J
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 9:10:40 PM

It is the second bridge on long 14 -- the wood one that traverses the dry creek. I have yet to see the destruction in person. It must have been done by some dumb kid who has never had to pay bills or do hard work. If you play 14 short you don't encounter it. Maybe the bridge you are thinking of that is missing planks is between 4 and 5 (or maybe the one on 5 over the creek)?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 8:28:47 PM

Thanks Don. I will contact the parks for some lumber. Will try to get more bleacher seats like the one by the tee pad.
Thanks for all you do Don. Alan has been busting butt too.
I will be out there on Friday to play. Got to get ready for the pig. Blakeley is going down.
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:42:08 PM

what's your Friday tee time, and do you want to lose another dollar in MTA? :shame
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 10:56:44 PM

The KY State Championships will be PDGA Sanctioned again this year -- with a Doubles event Saturday October 8, 2005 and a Singles event Sunday October 9th. (two separate events) The AM entry fees will be lower than last year. The Flyer will be posted here shortly... stay tuned

Paul, where should I post the info? We put it under "Course Challenges" last year but it's not technicly a Course Challenge and it's not informal nor out of town... How about it's own thread? "KY State Championships at Idlewild"

... as always, you do NOT have to live in Kentucky to enter ...
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:33:29 PM

Does anyone have any type of tool that can be used to dig up honeysuckle stumps.  I need something to break through the roots so that I can get the stumps out.  A good, old-fashioned shovel won't do it. 
Dizk Golfur
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:22:08 PM

Use a maddox
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:48:04 PM

bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:01:38 AM

Nick, does your store carry any of those for rent?