Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 12:52:48 PM

No problem Fred.  I got some practice on holes 13 and 14, which I badly needed.  :-)
Rob J
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 11:57:27 PM

Fred, does it look like you can get materials for 14's bridge to be built this weekend (Friday, saturday, or Sunday)? I can buy the concrete and hardware... do they have and 1 x 10's or 1 x 12's (14 or 16 feet long) at the park's dept. and also 4 more posts and 3 more bleachers?

this weekend may be the only weekend i'll be free to get 'r done before the tournament... the weekend before will be my anniversary and i think you may be celebrating something that weekend also [50 50 50 50 50]
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:00:00 PM

Kapgun, I checked out the trees you wanted cut. Go for it. Also cut down anthing that would be in the way when they mow. Chris make sure you cut down low enough so the mowers don't hit the stumps.
I will try to be out there this weekend. Saturday for sure.
Rob I will try to get you some lumber, your bleacher seats are there already and I'm sure they have concrete.
Rob will you be buying the nuts and bolts. If you do make sure they are bigger than the ones you bought last time.
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:04:27 PM

Fred, that sounds great. If possible, I'd like to get er done Friday. do you think that is do-able?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:54:48 AM

I'm thinking you are going to have a hard time digging the holes. Brian Swingley has my spud bar and not sure when I can get it back. I will drop off the post hole digger to you some time some where?
Still working on the lumber. Do you have the hardware yet?
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:17:07 AM

I have a large crowbar i can try to use as a spud bar alternative. i plan on buying the hardware at Tractor Supply on my way to the course -- i'll be out there tomorrow and installing it if all the other materials can be ready...?
i have a drill bit that fits the smaller sized hardware (bolts); do you think 3 of those for each post would work? If not, and the larger size is necessary -- do you have a drill bit that size which i can borrow?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:04:11 AM

I have a drill bit but my drill's batterys are dead and the cost to replace them cost more than a new drill. So.. I will be drill shopping the next couple of days. I had to drill my holes with a hand drill and that worked pretty good just lots of work. I will have that with me as a back up. The parks is working on the lumber.
Will try to be out there tomorrow.
Get galvanized bolts 8 inches long 1/2 in diameter and washer and nut.
They are about $2.00 ea. But they will last forever.
Pete is not going to be happy when he sees these receipts but we are making progress.
Liz
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:32:13 AM

Freddie, did you finish the bridge? My Saturday is looking pretty busy, let me know if you need some help though, I'll try to get out there.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:35:07 AM

Don, if you have any advice as to digging out room for bridge posts in rocky dry creek areas, let me know :)
NEngle
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 2:08:28 PM

New bridge on 11 is looking good.  You da' man Chris.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 5:21:22 PM

Leez, I finished it today. Thanks for your help.
We will be dedicating it to the memory of Gordon Holton at the Kentucky States. Gordon was from the Columbus area and died a couple of months ago. He was a good friend.

Chris, looked at your bridge today. Super job. Looks like a professional did it. We're lucky to have you.
Rob and I cleaned up the old bridge for you.
Thanks all. The course is looking pretty sweet.
M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:51:22 AM

was the new bridge built on the rock steps? Watch that creek. if nothing is done on hole 11 where that tounge of land sticks out, that will get washed out when the next flood comes in
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 9:40:03 AM

Mike I am working on getting railroad ties for that exact reason. Waiting for a quote as we speak. Winter projects.
M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:21:01 AM

That would be a very nice touch to the hole. Are you going to need any help to install??
ccs
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 2:59:20 PM

I really don't know what to address first but I'll start with hole 11. The old bridge was slightly higher than the new incarnation but the new bridge is stronger so I hope it will stay. If you look closely on hole 11 you can see that the water goes over the point where the bridge is located. The way the creek mianders makes it very difficult for it to handle large amounts of water in a short period of time, but it also helps to slow the force of the water so the bridge will get wet but won't suffer from the force of the water. The bridge being downstream from the "point" of the creek will also deflect some of the force. If there is enough rain in a short amount of time that whole area will be under water, and I think the only thing we can do is try to build bridges and walls that minimize the amount of force the water is able to place on the bridges. I'm going to clear out the area in front of the pipe to the left of 11's bridge and also try to remove some of the bank across the creek from the pipe so that the water can more easily disipate. With that being said, I think that the more we can fortify that area the better. As far as tree removal goes, it would help if someone would mark all of the trees that need to be removed so that I can cut them at the same time.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 3:05:30 PM

Mike, why do you ask. Do you know someone who wants to help?
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 9:22:22 PM

Chris, i think the reason the creek used to rise all the way to bridge level in heavy rains is because the drain pipe would clog with debris and create a back-up. Paul and i dug out the cut-across in front of the drain-pipe which allows the creek to bypass the drainpipe as the water rises. that may help a lot, but more work to dig it out so more water can drain is a good idea too.

if you will be out there on a Friday or Saturday i could meet you to show you which trees on 13 i am talking about. i could also help you on your hole too.

Fred, i almost busted a gut reading your question to Mike :)
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 9:46:16 PM

Chris, just wanted you to know that because of your hard work and dedication I deciced to have a Co-Adopt a hole of the year winners this year. That would be you and Rob. Rob was cool with that by the way.
You have worked really hard on your hole and other holes and I for one really appreciate it. Rob has also worked hard on not only his hole but others as well, also helped to spread tons of gravel through out the course. Without the help of guys like you Idlewild wouldn't be what it is. AND it is an awesome course not just to play but to look at. You can tell tons of work has gone into making it what it is. There is no other course like it anywhere. You guys make me proud.
With this award you will get a free entry into the Ky States singles tournament on Sunday October 9th. Also a metal mini recognizing your achievement. Unfortunately you will have to share the traveling Adopt a hole trophy with Rob, six months each. You will have to decide between yourselves who gets it first.
Thanks to both of you for a job well done.
M_Boland
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 1:26:49 PM

Rob...Hahaha

Fred, I was asking if you need the help
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:14:47 PM

Sorry Mike, if you could clean up your hole that would be good enough. Weed eat real well and i you could put a 2x6x14' in the center of the bridge for more support that would be great. I think the course is looking pretty other wise.
ccs
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:47:01 PM

What time could you be out there tomorrow? I've been using my saw a lot lately so I'll need to do a little maintanance on it. I could do that in the morning and get to the course in the late morning or early afternoon.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:07:25 PM

The new bridges are all awesome!  Hey Chris, I think your new tree would be better on the right side of hole 4 (where the dead trees were taken out).
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:16:30 PM

Chris, i plan on being out there tomorrow around 2:30 or 3pm. one other thing you might consider is -- stand on your teepad and look through the "Y" gap. i think a strong throw through that gap shouldn't be punished, but there's a lot of lettuce (tree limbs) that have grown up past the "Y" on the right side that can knock a disc out of the air even if you hit the gap with a good shot. what do you and Fred think about trimming those down..? (i'd be willing to help)

there are 4 dead trees on 13 that aren't very big. i can show you them tomorrow. if you get there later i may be playing the course with Keith... or, if you want to play a round with us -- we plan to start between 2:30 and 3...
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:24:55 PM

Quote:
Originally written by M_Boland on 9/19/2005 3:26 PM

Rob...Hahaha

Fred, I was asking if you need the help

thanks for being a good sport Mike, it's just i know how many suggestions Fred gets and how little help. he does more than everyone else combined, but for some reason he never wins the adopt-a-hole of the year award :)
That's Fred for you -- too modest to give himself the award...

the work you did building the old bridge on 11 was awesome. when i think of how much talent you have -- i'd just love to see you do more with your hole. you might do a little trimming of some branches with a pole saw... probably you should check that out with Fred first though...

are you going to enter the KY States? Help the TD out and sign up early. Idlewild is the perfect course for doubles -- and then Sunday in the single events people who partnered in doubles get to play against each other... :brr :)
ccs
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 5:51:53 AM

I agree with you completely about the limbs on the right side. I think that I cut back as much as I could with the pole saw. We will have to trace the limbs back to the trunk and remove the larger limb at that point.