Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Dragon
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 4:45:03 PM

Fred and Rob, I told you my high wheel trimmer quit spinning but, it was just the belt sliped off. So we are back in the saddle again to whomp those high weeds come course challenge time at Idlewild. I will post a date and time later, for now I got a date with Ann Arbor Michigan and Addison Oaks to start. Adios Amigos.
zippy
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 7:22:27 AM

Another Anonymous, you have reiterated what I have said a year and a half ago but, I got pummeled by the members of this board. I tried playing out there a few weeks ago but got so bitten by mosquitos, I quit by the sixth hole. The course is just too tight to have any real fun. It may be for the ultimate pro, but I'll stick with Banklick anyday.
discndat
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 8:18:08 AM

That's why we are so lucky. We have a large number of courses with varying styles and difficulty. We can go to the course we want to. Many people live in areas where they don't have the choices we have. Celebrate!!
Znash
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 9:01:31 AM

I don't get it. Idlewild is one of the best courses around. Yes, it is a hard course and it has vary tight fairways but, it will teach you where problems in your game exist. For example I have developed a forehand roller, sidearm, straddle putt, and a turbo putt all because of idlewild the course is that demanding. It has also taught me how to throw a disc straight or how to hit a gap. All of these different styles of throws or techniques have helped me to be a better golfer. If it's too hard for you then that's the point, because if you were not having a hard time then you should be playing against the Barry Schultzs of disc golf.
no putt
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 3:00:47 PM

Gee, I want to play the courses where I am only guaranteed the win..........YEAH RIGHT...........................NO WIMPS, NO WHINERS................come out here and support the local disc golf clubs anyway because that is what it's all about.

I try and play every course challenge whether i think i have a chance at cashing or not. (most of the time not). Heck, even a bad day at the golf course is still better than a good day at work right?

Just my opinion on this matter and that's all i have to say about that.

Liz
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 3:00:50 PM

Wow, this sounds like a cat fight going on here. I agree with those who say Idlewild is amazing, even for a girl. ;) And if I recall correctly, there aren't too many holes over 600 feet (when playing the short course), as far as the mosquitos go, welcome to MidWest America, there is nothing anyone but YOU can do to deter them. sorry to hear that you don't enjoy one of the most beautiful (and least crowded) places to go and play, many of us put time and effort into making that place more pleasant.
Concerned
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 3:13:23 PM

Yes, very well said RobJ and Znash!! Kudos and here, here! My feelings exactly and I must say it is music to my ears as I dance for joy!!!! True I have not seen the turbo putt nor I must say the the incredible sounding forehand roller!? The developement of such an arsenal is a must and indeed a necessity! In the past I too have developed different shots and strokes as the courses do dictate. "Survival is for those with the greatest adaptation" as was once said by James one local disc golfer. I have mentioned him many times in the past and he is a fine warrior for our game. Concerned Here! Ture it is in the past my stance for tree removal was heard by many and to some extent that idea still rings true. But after reading some of the following posts and hearing the voice of the true and mighty D golfers I say that us becoming better players is a must and to that we shall strive. I am urging local players whether it be of the pro sort or mere AM. players to post your shots of trickery on the site in the greatest of detail. Soon and in the days to come I will post my secret windmill toss and hammer throw. I will lay it out step by step and I trust I shall see new scores from the many players abound. I will continue to urge tree removal but not as many as I had planned. Get back to me Znash
keep working on your magical tosses. Off to get new socks for the coming days! As always "Let those sweet babies soar"...........I'm out!
Dragon
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 3:46:42 PM

MOSQUITOS! HA, I can't help laugh and poke fun at your statement Zippy, because I know your ignorant of the disc golf courses that do have a mosquito problem but, there arn't any around here. Now if you want to talk about disc golf courses where the mosquitos chase the players off: One for example is Willow Park in Michigan and, a few more in northern Indiana I've been to with a (real) mosquito problem so profound that I carried a tall can of Raid with me while playing and; the mosquitos found only amusement and pleasure in that. Around the Cincinnati Northern Kentucky area there is none to talk about.
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 3:58:13 PM

Play Cabin Creek. You'll be so busy swatting horse flies and bees, you'll be happy to see mosquitos. :-)
Dragon
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 5:10:42 PM

Frizgolf, I can't find the rest of your message but, if you are implying that Cabin Creek has a mosquito problem like the one I described, then I must not have been clear enough. I've played Cabin Creek a few times and never experienced a problem with mosquitos. Therefore I must beg the question and implore you to take a little trip to Willow Park. Others who surf this site, such as Paul and Phil can substantiate this. Does this mean I won't see you this weekend at Cabin Creek?
Concerned
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 8:14:32 AM

The new topic it appears is that of Mosquitos. The firey needle nosed menace of the D courses. Now it seems the Dragon has called out our dear friend Zippy. Who is this Dragon and why does he not believe my friend Zipps has not had a small loss of blood at the hands ( needle nose) of the West Nile carrying insects known as Mosquitos. For many years this insect has plagued mankind with disgusting diseases and bumpy skin. West Nile and Malaria is nothing to laugh and or scoff at as I now say rubbish Dragon. I can only hope these bugs leave our game alone. Conerned here! I would agree that the nothern lands of Michigan have mostquitos o' plenty. But it is not to say the further south we go the insects are not found. I would venture to say that our very own Dragon has donated blood to the lands of Idle Wild and that of other D courses conducted by our southern brood of mosquitos. Need to run heading to get a new shoe strings for the big game! As always "Let those sweet babies soar"......I'm out!
zippy
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:32:07 PM

Wow! I'm being defended by Concerned. I must be a lucky guy.
Dragon
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 5:57:37 PM

Concern, my topic was about mosquito infestation not mosquito phobia. I was responding to a sentence in Zippies post in which he said "I tried playing out there a few weeks ago but got so bitten by mosquitos, I quit by the sixth hole." I was rejecting the notion that Idlewild has a persistent nuisance with mosquitos. I've worked hundreds of hours at Idlewild and, have not experienced a mosquito problem or donated blood. Nor do I laugh or scoff at the diseases they carry, for I have personal experience with malaria. Now concern, you know a good reporter gets his story right so, please don't let me be misunderstood. Your expertise is trees, leave the mosquitos to me.:)
Concerned
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 12:45:03 PM

I have read the post devilish Dragon and I must say I was not aware of your past battle with dreaded Malaria. I hope you have had a full recovery and yet it must be so since your D game has not suffered. True trees have been my obsession for some time now but mosquitos and even at times their more potent friend the wasp has been known to cause a problem of sorts for the lovers of our game. My attention has been directed towards that of buzzers and stingers. Ah they have stealth like ways. Concerned here! Your many hours of work should not go without a back pat....so I say, pat-pat good man. You have asked that I focus on trees and that I shall. I will grant you the wish and dub you king of all mosquitos.......I believe that Freddy Salsa and Znash will back me on this. Please do all you can to prevent these insects from getting out of hand and crushing the love for our D-golf. In order to promote our game I will start a campaign to raise money for cans of OFF, Raid and let us not leave out Black Flag to be supplied at local courses abound. We can win this war of our blood sucking, stinging and itch producing friends by combating them with cans full of skull and cross bone poison. The plan seems evil but it is a must. Magic Dragon let's pull together and znash get back to me biggin. Running to buy new Swiffer pads, clean clean clean ha! As always "Let those sweet babies soar".....I'm out!
Dragon
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:54:11 PM

Rob, long placement 16 has been treating me ok. Originally I thought putting would be the deciding factor but, unfortunately it is the up-shot. I like the mando, it makes one play the hole as intended. I'm sure Fred would not have put it up if there wasn't an advantage. It is to bad that some players (not you) do not see his forward moving ideas at Idlewild. I don't know if what he is doing is novel or just setting a precedent but, I like it. Especially the out of bound signs and rope on hole 3, that makes it a better risk and reward shot. How about what he did with hole 4 walk of fame, that was innovative. The only question mark at Idlewild I can find in Fred's resume, is not using the water hazard on long placement 13. But, one never knows; look at hole 11, one day we were throwing an easy up-shot and, the next day we were throwing a more daring shot with water risk. Well, thats enough of the accolades for now and, what tops this off is mostly Idlewild kicks my tail; but, sometimes I do fine and, that feeling is worth the challenge.
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 10:32:14 PM

Interesting Don, how might the water hazard for long 13 be used and would it still connect well to long 14's teepad? It seems to me that long 13 is pretty good how it is, but maybe the pin could be moved back a bit further closer to the creek -- though not across it.

One idea I had that has not been well received by anybody but Bob is making a long teepad for hole 5 back by the walk path bridge (to the right after you leave hole 3). That way the over-the-top throw I have been slowly mastering becomes nearly impossible unless you are a daredevil with a big arm like bigboy

I know what you mean about Idlewild kicking one's tail but that the few times when you play it well make it all worthwhile. If I could take all the best scores I had on individual holes I could get the course record -- the beauty of Idlewild is that it is almost impossible to play it without taking some bogeys. Getting a par 5 on hole 6 -- or sometimes even on 5, long 14, or 18 -- often feels like a birdie :) And even if you tear it up for nine holes -- there are nine more patiently awaiting your brave arrival to see what you've got :) It really does make a lot of courses seem boring.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 7:43:55 AM

Don, I have always liked the idea for a longe 13(across the creek and to the right) but felt like there are better improvements we could be doing to make Idlewild play safer. Tops on the list is cutting stumps out on holes 10 and 18 so that the parks can do a better job of mowing closer to the tree line. We'll talk about #13 once that gets done.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 3:02:42 PM

I think one of the nicest places on the course is the grassy island in the middle of the woods at the long placement on #13. The water comes plenty into play, on the left, with players having to have some touch with their down the hill 2nd or 3rd shot. I've seen several good players try to just punch it down the hill, hoping a tree knocks them down anyway, but they've hyzered off into the creek. It is just one of my favorite places on the park, nice sunny, grassy area with creek around it. I especially like the directional nature of the big trees around the basket, requiring even the last up-shot to land in the right spots, so as to avoid the trees blocking your short putt.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 3:14:49 PM

Agreed. 13's "green" was the ideal picnic spot for one couple the last time we played a casual round out there. Had to gently "warn" about incoming discs, then wished them a good day. In the CC, our threesome all threed the hole, a "par" hole. Paul an I almost black-aced the short pin. Bob H. wants to take the pin right and across the creek. I see trimming and bridge-building issues. Bob cut a couple trees for the approach shot, but there's still the chance of splashing in the creek. I like it like it is.
Dragon
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2004 4:35:15 PM

Rob, a long placement 13 with water hazard in the area that Bob likes but you hate, would tie in perfectly with 14teen's tee because it would be much closer and easier walk for the disc golf players, that is what they want (convenience). As far as a long tee position for hole 5, I'm open minded to that because that just gives one another option to play a different angle. In your post, you said it would be to the right after one leaves hole 3. Was that a typo? I think you meant after hole 4. Fred, I would like to get down there this Saturday and, do some mowing on 16. I'll bring my equipment. If I can get down there early enough, maybe I'll have time to take a stump or two out. Do you think a long handled axe would make the stump removal easier?
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 6:33:44 PM

Don, people really like the present long 13, though Fred seems up for the change *after* other more mundane work of a higher priority is completed on the course. I also think that there are holes other than long 13 that would be better to make the course more difficult if the goal is to make the WCP for Idlewild from the longs 72 (I think that is what Bob is striving for). For example: holes 4, 9, 10 (by moving the pin back farther and to the left), and maybe 17 could be made harder. A long tee on 5 could also be put in. Maybe the thing for 13 would be to slightly move the pin (closer to the water in the direction of 14's long tee, but still on the same side of the creek) to solve the problem of keeping the pin in the beautiful green area where it is presently that people are so fond of, but making it a bit more water hazardous.

However, before we do any of that, we need to address the maintenance work Fred pointed out needs to take place on already existing placements (mainly stump removal). So lets get out there and remove those stumps if we want to move on to other improvements. Oh, and yes I meant after hole 4 not hole 3 in my earlier thread about a long tee for 5.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 1:10:32 PM

Fred, would you like to increase the WCP/SSA for the course from the longs too? (Clearing out the rough and other grooming that has been done seems to have shaved off a few strokes). Are there already long pin locations for 9 and 17? I think you already started a long pin location for 4. What about 11? Have you ever considered moving it further back and slightly left of where it is now?

The course is great as is though. Hopefully someone will step up and adopt 18 and clear out the vines and some of the honeysuckle on the right. Is that mainly what 18 needs? I noticed on the short version of 14 the other day that there are some low small stumps I should remove. I hit one recently and it rejected me from skipping right under the basket and instead I missed a long putt. Guess my hole was trying to tell me something. (the mowing problems and trip hazard presented by stumps are of course further incentives)
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 11:00:13 PM

Mike, doesn't the sign on hole 9 already designate two pin locations? Do you know where the other one is?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 11:24:46 PM

I like #9 as is and will fight to keep it there permanently.
Rob, there is another pin position on 9 and 17 but it would change the pars for those holes(par 3 to par 4) and I really don't want to do that. I don't want a par 73 or 74, it just doesn't sound right and I've never seen that anywhere before.
I like the present pin placement on #13 as well so if we decide to make another one across the creek it would need an additional basket for that hole. I will not move the basket from the present location. So who will pay for the additional basket?
I am not impressed with the half arse job that was done on the trees that were in the middle of the fairway of #13 long. Bob, you have created more work for me to do. Now I have to cut the stumps and remove the limbs and tree trunks that are laying off the fairway and throw them far into the woods so that they are out of the way. I thought you would do a better job than that, at least you did cut the right trees.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 11:46:24 PM

I went out today and had time to take out the some of the more problematic stumps on short fourteen (the one by the bridge which was a trip hazard, and two short of the pin). I don't play the short often but I noticed that the area after the bridge is usually slick so I plan to cut some steps into the incline there. I also plan to get to the other low stumps on the short and the few near the fairway on long 14.

Fred, though normally they won't be used -- do you want those of us with alternate pin locations -- my hole (14), hole 9 and hole 17 -- to clear out the brush around the alternate pin location?

Also, has anyone volunteered to adopt hole 18 and if not what would the person who adopts it need to initially do with it?