Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:08:27 PM

Thanks for the warning/heads up Dan-O.
Kenny14051
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:57:14 PM

Yes, This is very true!! Brent as well as myself have spoken with Boone County Sheriff Department, they say this is something they're working on, I have also left a message with Fred about this up coming event. If something happen's to anyone, please report it, so we get these idiot's out of the park some of us can't get enough of!
KevinB
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:03:53 PM

I sent a email to the Boone County Sheriff, Michael Helmig, to ask if he could have a few more patrols through the park on Saturday to serve as a sercurity presence while players were taking part in their tournament rounds on the course, away from their vehicles.

kevin b
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:38:42 AM

Just wanted to post this info from the bikers at Idlewild on the vandalism lately.

Just wanted to share w/you a more detailed description of the scumbag (and his method) who has been doing all the break-ins at England-Idlewild Park. I'm not sure this should be posted on the KYMBA board, but it's worth forwarding to anyone who regularly rides at E/I.

The guy is white, late 30s, about 5'10" with dark hair, athletic build, and "weathered" face. If he's wearing shorts, you may note that his legs look all chewed up - like he's got bad Psoriasis or something. He's driving an older model green Pontiac or Chevy. The front fender and door on one side is beat up. Kenton County plates, apparently. His MO is to chat to the point of annoying people enough that they want to hit the trail and leave their car. He likes to use stories like he's meeting his wife, kids, friend, to ride/run the trails, etc. He may also ask for directions to another park or the like, pretending that he's at the wrong park. Anything to disarm you.

Once he gets into the vehicle, he steals anything not bolted down (CDs, shoes, tools, wallets, etc.) but then puts everything back and locks up the car, probably hoping that the victim doesn't notice until later in the day. He is most active at lunchtime, but has also been at "work" earlier and in the late afternoon.

If someone sees this guy, don't mess with him, just call the Boone County Sheriff Dispatch line at 371-1234. Until he is caught, do not leave anything of value anywhere in your vehicle while at E/I.

Put the Boone county phone number on your cell phone in case you see anything happening at Idlewild.

STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:56:29 PM

Geez, thanks Fred. Quite a bit of detailed information on that guy....
Kool Keith
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:01:05 PM

Kevin B, Rob, and myself got the guy that was breaking into cars tonight. He's safely in the hands of the Boone Co sheriffs office. If anyone has been a victim of a car break in recently at any of the parks (we caught him at Boone Woods), contact the Boone sheriffs this week.

Let the fish stories begin!!!!!!!!!!
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:10:18 PM

Woha! Did you catch him red handed?
Kool Keith
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:26:27 PM

Nope.

Here goes:

Kevin, Rob and I were on hole 17 at Boone. Green car rolls up and pock marked face guy says, "What hole are you guys on?" We tell him 17, and right away Kevin and I said that's the guy and car from the description. We played 17, and on the way to 18 tee I called Boone Dispatch and told them about a suspicious vehicle and guy matching the description of the break in car.

We play 18, and while I'm on the phone hanging back toward the tee, Rob and Kevin engage the guy, ask him some questions, and essentially confirm the ID on the guy. He's out of his car and is walking up on us, talking, basically trying to see where we are going and where any other eyeballs are.

The cops are already on their way at this point, so we play 10 back out (I don't want him to see what I'm driving). We play 10, and he follows us up to the crest of the hill. Small talk, and he has a buddy in the car. We're thinking that he's waiting for the all clear from the guy on the hill. We play 10, he drops back, and we start to 11. We can see the cop car coming down from the tennis court area, and within 30 seconds the cops have them blocked in with cars, and have the 2 guys out and are questioning them. Both guys were taken off in cuffs and the car looked like it was being impounded.

One of the cops spoke to us off the record afterwards and said thanks. They had been trying to catch this guy for 6 weeks, haven't been able to nail down the car, and that someone's car was just hit at Idlewild today. He said they were 100% sure that was the guy they were after, and had been trying to catch them all kinds of ways lately. Bait cars were used at Idlewild over the past few weeks, as well as increased patrols, uniformed and plain clothes.

We did good today, just by being observant.

NEngle
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:44:42 PM

Well done. 

:bounce  bow  :bounce

KevinB
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:01:30 PM

Fred, thanks for posting the detailed description above, I knew right when I saw the car that was the guy. Keith and I looked at each other and right away we were on the same page. I didn't want my windows broken, so I wasn't letting him out of my sight. Keith called up the law, Rob made fun like Keith was having to check in with the wife to continue playing on because of a bet. Anyone knowing my game might beg to differ, but on 18 I flipped a shot on purpose into the parking lot to get a better look, and there were the chewed up legs.
Rob did a great job of chatting him up, making him at ease, and once we got over the little hill the law took care of the rest.
I was furious, it sucked trying to be cordial to some dirtbag you knew had broken into friend's cars.
Without the detailed description from Fred and E/I bikers who knows how much longer this would have went on.
It's cool when everyone gives back to help others.
Sweetriver
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:06:15 PM

well done super sleuths. Everyone in the tri-state appreciates this one.
discndat
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 7:20:49 AM

Super Kudos to the bikers, Fred, Kevin, Rob and Keith. People worked together and got his @$$.
STEVO
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 8:59:51 AM

New reality show- Disc Golf Crime Unit, Burlington Division: AWESOME!!!

-- Fred as "The Captain" - back at headquarters, providing intel.

-- Rob as "The Communicator"

-- Keith D. as "The Heavy"

-- and featuring Kevin B. as "The Decoy"

Way to go, guys....What a story! rock
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 9:44:24 AM

Truly a team effort. This is what Bill from the bikers emailed the local mountain bikers:
Subject: Trail News & EI theifs arrested
Fellow mountain bikers,

Fred Salaz called me last night. It appears that some disc golf players recognized the person who fit the description of the one breaking into the cars at the parking lot. They called the County Police and he and his accomplishes were arrested. Hopefully this will end the spree of break ins EI has had recently.

By the way if you didn't know it EI has one of the top ranked disc golf courses in the nation. Thanks to Fred and his disc golf organizations. If you want to know more go to www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com for more information.

M_Boland
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 10:30:31 AM

wow...that is grea tto hear...down with scum!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 1:43:11 PM

I have some Flex Fit hats for sale. They say "Idlewild disc golf" in the front and have a pole hole in the back. I won't be making any more so if you want one let me know. $20.00(cheap) and several sizes and colors to choose from.
Craig
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 2:28:43 PM

Save me atleast one Fred. Big and Blue, or somethin kinda darker.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:37:32 PM

Boone County parks came through with some sod today. They gave us enough to do the entire green on hole #3. It looks awesome and should look good for Keiths wedding on Saturday. They had to have spent over $500.00 on the sod. Now we just have to make sure it doesn't dry up. Thanks to Kevin for his expertise(rototiller) and help, also Rob and Sid(Keiths buddy). If anyone is off on Friday we plan on finishing the wall on the other side of the creek, any help would be appreciated.
Hole #3 will be the Inn color disc for Ky States Doubles in September. Get you one, soon.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 9:51:50 AM

I am taking off work Friday to work with Fred at Idlewild and encourage anyone else who is available to come out and help.
It looks like scattered rain in the morning giving way to sunshine in the afternoon - and a high in the upper 70's.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxdetail/45237?dayNum=1
midnite30
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:43:19 PM

I have played Idlewild at least 10 times in the past two weeks. I am amazed each time I go on just how far Idlewild has come in just a few short years. I have probably played at Idlewild since it's opening, and love coming back more each time. Idlewild has truly become the course to play in Cincy. I still love Mt. Airy and Banklick, but Idlewild is a whole level above them. I really appreciate the work everyone has put into the park, especially Fred. I take every opportunity to bring a friend to experience the joy Idlewild is. It really makes me happy to see more and more PDGA members across the nation recoginizing Idlewild as a great course. Keep up the great work!
Dragon
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:42:24 PM

keith, thanks for the compliment, It's nice to read good comments about my favorite course. This isn't a plug for Fred but, he has some nice hats with the name Idlewild on them that I think conveys to everybody ones thoughts. I would love to see a worlds championship or national tour tournament come through Idlewild. I'm told there are not enough viewing spots for spectators but, I don't buy that. Fred is building a wall in the creek bank behind eleven's target, I wonder how it's comming along. A few of us disc golfers will probably go somewhere to play tomorrow and I hope it's Idlewild.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 5:27:53 PM

I saw some pics over at the PDGA DISCUSSION board and it looks like hole 11's pin has been taken across the creek to make an island green. Because, you know, the hole wasn't already CHALLENGING enough
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:21:56 AM

Honestly-it doesn't seem that much more difficult for those of us who were not in the habit of deucing 11 in the first place. I cannot count how many OB strokes I've taken trying to lay up (to the old pin), and then having it slide/roll into the creek. At least now you have a hill to aim at, as well as the landing zone where the new pin sits...so you can give it a little more oomph, and a little less touch. If you make it over the creek and go OB, it's a drop in pretty much anywhere on the island. I think when we played last week, we had a couple of 3s, I had a circle 4, and then a 5 for one that didn't make it through the initial gap...so it doesn't seem to play too much different-but for me that hole is a par 3.5 anyway.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 11:40:26 AM

if anything it makes it less risky with being able to throw across to that bank on the other side of the creek.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:05:11 PM

That was why I thought it wasn't going to happen in the first place, because everyone said it almost makes the hole easier because you worry less about OB.