Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:11:45 AM

Finnhawc, we are just stating the facts...Get your mind out of the gutter.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:47:21 PM

My mind is in the creek looking up at the tiny green.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:19:00 PM

So thats what you call it?
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 6:32:32 PM

Is this Stableford round still happening tomorrow? 11am?

Someone come pull me out of the basement tomorrow AM.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 6:36:22 PM

It's still on. I will have tons of Destroyers, cheap.
We are meeting at the shelter by hole #3.
Rob and I played it today and Rob shot a 2 and I shot 0 with scores of 70 and 72 respectively.
Come on out it should be a great day for disc golf.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:15:51 PM

Fred, looks like you messed up the point system today. we were counting birdies as 1 point, but you posted earlier:

- Double bogey or worse - minus-2 points
- Bogey - minus-1 point
- Par - 0 points
- Birdie - 2 points
- Eagle - 5 points
- Double eagle - 8 points

that said, i think i still would of took your dolla :-p
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:29:42 PM

Traditional Stableford isTwo over or worse= 0 pointsOne over = 1 pointEven = 2 pointsBirdie = 3 pointsEagle = 4 pointsDouble Eagle = 5 pointsFor what it is worth...Here is another modified Stableford from the PGA * +8 points - albatross (3 strokes under par for a hole) * +5 points - eagle (2 strokes) * +2 points - birdie (1 stroke) * 0 points - par * -1 point - bogey (1 stroke over) * -3 points - any score worse than bogey (2 strokes over or worse)
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:38:41 PM

Traditional Stableford is
Two over or worse= 0 points
One over = 1 point
Even = 2 points
Birdie = 3 points
Eagle = 4 points
Double Eagle = 5 points

For what it is worth...Here is another modified Stableford from the PGA
* +8 points - albatross (3 strokes under par for a hole)
* +5 points - eagle (2 strokes)
* +2 points - birdie (1 stroke)
* 0 points - par
* -1 point - bogey (1 stroke over)
* -3 points - any score worse than bogey (2 strokes over or worse)
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 7:44:18 PM

I do like it no matter what form it takes though, Fred. See you at EI.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 8:12:40 PM

John, we are using the last one. Too many to pick from, so we're trying to keep it simple.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 1:41:00 PM

Great fun Fred, must try that for a tournament sometime!
LStephens
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 9:01:51 PM

Fred, played Idlewild today for the first time in a week or maybe more. How long are you keeping the short pin placements on a few holes where it appears you are planting grass where the basket normally is. I've never really thought about duecing #8 until I did today....I didn't even notice the change in location until I walked to my disc and I was like..wow...just a short putt..#3's made me layup and take a 3 with the OB directly behind it though.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:14:46 AM

As long as it takes to grow grass. I have permission to close the course for the winter and will probably do so from December through March 1. We plan on redisigning Boone before we close Idlewild for you winter players that just have to play. We will need some help though.
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:54:16 AM

Fred, What kind of grass you planting this late in the year that will take root and grow? If you need some help with Boone..just let me know..I play there before work every weekday that I don't play Idlewild. I'm usually there from 12:30-2:15pm. I've had my eyes on a few shots I'd like to see turned into holes too.
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:19:42 AM

I played Idlewild last weekend and I think Fred did a great job on number 11. I was very hesitate about the basket going across the creek but after playing I do not believe it is unfair. You do think about the putt if you are putting across the water because if you miss chains you are OB. However it is a very easy layup shot now that the cores surround the green, if you need to go that route.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:52:13 AM

Yeah it is a little better with the blanks along the backside of the green which kind of helps to keep low shots from gong O.B., but a few more feet behind the basket would keep spit outs from going O.B.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:11:52 PM

John - you are dead wrong about 11.

Both myself and Jeff V both went OB by hitting chains putting from across the creek.

The green on 11 is ridiculous... How are you going make a competitive player take 2 strokes for hitting chains on a 25 footer? Hell, our baskets (as a sport) aren't good enough yet to say that a putt that hits chains sticks, so you are basically turning it into a "luck" hole, where your level of skill is not the determining factor in your score.

I love Idlewild, but 11 is a Mickey-Mouse hole and should be corrected.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:53:49 PM

The shot is tough and very fair for all levels of play. The easy drop zone simply requires hitting an easy putt(risk) or an easier lay up. I took a four last Sat. with about a fifty foot putt/lay up shot. Last time I checked if the disc hits the chains at the right speed and trajectory it catches 97% of the time; hitting chains, doesn't mean it was going in. How can it spit O.B. on that short of a putt and that is some course design flaw? I would like to see more of a "safe" area to the left of the bridge as you cross. That would still be a frightening putt. Even though it is tough there is a smarter way to play the hole where the damage is limited by good choices. Having played holes on narrow peninsulas surrounded by mud or water and various 100 ft. drop-off ant-hill pin placements; each one, has improved an aspect of my game.
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:07:15 PM

I still don't know what all the fuss is about. You can look up my rating and see I'm an 824. Today I shot my usual driver shot that went wide of the V and hit a tree and narrowly made it into the grass on the far side of the first creek. Then I took a FLX Buzz and placed a shot to where the old basket was...then hit a 15-20 foot putt for a 3. This is almost exactly what happens to me EVERY time I play 11 here lately. After playing hole 7...I think...at Great Seal this past weekend...there is no need for me to ever complain about a basket being placed in a 'mickey mouse' location. With the basket placed on a point 15 foot elevated...with STEEP drop offs all around...the basket on 11 is like a calm in the storm comparably.

I mean...is all the complaining about the fact that you no longer have a realistic chance of a TWO? I mean if an 824 player...who can actually putt...can play for a 3 after a horrid drive...and be happy playing safe for a 4 if my approach shot isn't placed right...then why is some 950+ rated players complaining so loudly about this hole? I mean, I HATE #6 with a passion. I think it is the devil incarnate...I don't :censor about it..I go play it...take my 7 and my buttkicking and go about my business.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:19:36 AM

Hans suggested naming the green on #11 "The Vineyard" for all the "whine" it has caused. Keith, make the putt or lay up, it's that easy.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:34:48 AM

If thats the way it has to be that is the way it has to be. It still doesn't make it right though.
Sweetriver
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 8:59:13 AM

I played this course on the moon a couple of years ago. It had a tracky green too. Right behind the basket was The Crater of 1000 Nights. I lost a disc or two down that baby.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 10:43:55 AM

Keith, I forgot you are always right. Just make the putt and move on. If your putt doesn't stick then it sounds like you need to practice a little more. Maybe when your round is over you should practice putting for 30 minutes or so. I know I don't always make my putts, but I realize that I need to practice more. You could compare this to a golf hole where the green runs off into a pond. I have seen a put ( a ball golf putt) that has lipped out of the cup and rolled 90 degrees into a pond because the green sloped toward the pond. This hole is no different. If you don't hit your putt solid you could pay. I played the hole last weekend and someone in my group hit the basket and still stayed in bounds. If you can't make a 30 foot putt maybe you should stay in advanced or move on up to open and play with me in the back of the bus. I will keep the seat warm for you and might have some hot coco for you.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:56:43 PM

John-

I'm not always right - in fact, I was wrong 4 times already this year. There should be no penalty for a putt with moderate speed to hit chains and go out of bounds without a crazy roll. This placement does not allow that to happen. If people are gunning it, hitting tops of baskets, etc... then I get it. But this is not - I lob my putts. There's less than 5 feet from the pole to OB in 2 directions. STUPID.

If you putt with appropriate speed on a golf green and lip out... you are not taking OB strokes. You may take a goofy score because the USGA has decided to let the greens at Oakmont turn into airport runways, but you aren't taking OB.

Trick it up out there... how about you put the basket higher on the hill, shave the hillside smooth, and remove all the cores. Then the disc will at least have to travel more 5 feet from the basket to go OB.

We are all playing the same course... I understand. But to me this placement is like seeing a windmill on the green at Augusta #12. It's out of place, out of line with the character of the course, and completely takes away from the legitimacy of not only 11, but an entire round at Idlewild.

If you miss 3 twenty five foot putts, you should add 3 strokes to your score - not six.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:35:15 PM

Keith, If you put the basket higher on the hill and roll OB then you will have a 40 foot or longer put to make. At least if you go OB your putt is only 25 to 30 feet. What Fred did was make the hole a ligit par 4 before you could claim it should only be a par 3 before the move. If you have a good drive and make it around the corner and down the hump there is no reason why you should not lay up under the basket for a 3 or run at it and worst case senario you take a 4, unless you putt like a girl. Which evidently you do. Take your skirt off, I think it might be getting in the way when you putt. Come on Keith, bring it!

:dunce :machinegun