Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 11:05:05 AM

Mike I agree with you about 9. The alternate pin location is just an alternative -- not a replacement to the present location. It probably is still very deuceable in the other location also, though I am not exactly sure where that is.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:19:23 PM

Hey Guys,
I do exist on cyberspace!!!
If we put a "long" tee on hole #5 it could actually make it a par 4 with the right accompanying/complementary work made to open a wimdow to the top of the first, steeper incline. It would still be under 600'. It may sound crazy, but a longer hole could potentially be played in fewer, more risky strokes (we have all found the water there). Right now, I sometimes feel like I am just chipping away, little by little on hole 5 (and other holes too). There is much skill required to do this properly. If hole 5 was a par 4 then maybe Fred would be more inclined to use the existing, and much in need of work (Fred is right), alternate pin(s) on other holes. Idlewild is still relatively new and may not be a "perfect" design soon, if ever.
Fred deserves as much respect as we are able to give. This course is his BABY!!! At most I, and the rest of us, are it's Uncles. What Fred says should be Gospel. I ask Fred for permission before I do anything at the course as should all of us. He let me run with a lot of my ideas and I am extremely grateful. I had been wanting to be in on designing a course for a long time before Fred gave me the chance at Idlewild. We worked for three years, with others, before the tees were put in and then the baskets.
Fred is correct, I hate to admit, that the course needs to be put in better condition, roughs/stumps cleaned up, etc. before we can think about making additional changes to fairways, etc. When you do work on the course, Fred notices, and you gain respect with him because he appreciates a commitment of work. He wants Idlewild to be the best course in the world as do a lot of us. With more people helping out, more improvements will come, no doubt.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:58:40 PM

Hi Bob, nice to see you in cyberspace. Any chance *YOU* might be Concerned? :)
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 7:36:17 AM

Bob, I like Idlewild the way it is now. If you want to work on alternate placements for holes #9 and #17 go for it but you will have to purchase seperate baskets for each hole. I will not be moving the baskets on those holes and I won't be helping you cut those holes out either. I know they were part of the original plan but I have since changed my mind on those two holes.

I don't know why you insist on making more work for us when I think Idlewild is looking great and all the other courses in the area need some help.
I do appreciate all the work you have done but give the course(and me) a couple of years and let's see how the course progresses. If we need to make changes then we will discuss it but now is not the time.
All I want to do is play some guilt free golf.
We will not be changing #5. I like it the way it is.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:18:41 AM

A long tee on hole 5? You've got to be joking :flamethrower
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 8:58:40 AM

Look at it this way, instead of a short touch shot to the first landing area, it would involve a medium length touch shot to the first landing area. Being merely an option, the long teepad could be avoided by those who don't like it. Probably though many who think they don't like the idea would end up loving it.

Anywhew, Fred has pointed out that there is a lot of other grooming work the course needs before such ideas are entertained. (actually he shot the idea for a long teepad on 5 dead, but hey...) :)

NEngle
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2004 9:18:08 PM

New course ratings are out:

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/course_ratings_by_course.php?RatingCourseID=1745

Rd. #3 was a 68.49, but then again that was the "rain" round.

Player ratings are also out. Come on Blakely, 997? Ard doing very well, too bad his rookie class also includes Matt Orum & Kieth Warren.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:13:39 AM

Matthew Orum was a candidate last year, keith Warren was a pro long before me, took cash when he was like 16, The only guy tearing it up is Pete middlecamp.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 8:40:38 PM

Well, it is oficially an epidemic. Someone has stolen the chain assembly and basket on hole #2 at Idlewild. It's a sad day in the neighborhood.
I will donate $250.00 to any one with information on this matter. I'm thinking it's the same people that stole #6 at Mt. Airy since they took everything but the pole.
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:30:54 PM

I recommend filing a police report. Let's let the police know our parks are being ripped off by losers. It's even worse when the item was donated by a member of the community for the benefit of all and some punk with a myopic ego puts his dirty fingerprints all over it.
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2004 3:12:29 AM

Fred, I beg to disagree. It's been an epidemic for a couple years now. I wonder if we can buy old crappy 10-15 year old baskets so people aren't as motivated to steal them.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 5:59:12 AM

I am so sick of some people whining about one of the best courses I've ever played!!! cry If you are gonna complain about such a caliber course, try putt putt or something!!!!!
RascalMJ
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 1:34:38 PM

Well, to help come some of you down......I am NEW to the sport and I love idlewild, it is VERY difficult but that is what makes it fun. So, their.....a new guy that likes idlewild. BTW, threw a +19 at idlewild this weekend. Hope to improve that score next time
zippy
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 1:53:27 PM

Idlewild is a tight course but that's the whole point of it. It's not as open as Mt Airy or banklick may be but it's still a nice challenging course to play.
Rangerboy
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:53:42 AM

Well , I played Idlewild yesterday for the first time in two years. I think I shot a 110 back then. I had only been playing for about 6 months and that was at Winton Woods. I vowed not to come back until my game was ready for the challenge. I have improved my game greatly over the past two years and managed to shoot a very honest 72. I then backed it up with a 70. I realize now though that I played #2 short. I saw the pole over there with no basket and couldn't even tell how to get to it.

Everyone has done a great job on the improvements at the course and it was a joy to play.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 9:09:25 PM

To all Adopt a holees: It looks like this weekend will be a good time to work on your hole. Rob and I will probably be slinging gravel and possibly building bridges. Come out if you get a chance.
Kent Stultz has been kicking butt taking out honeysuckle and stickers on his hole(#13). It looks great. This is the best time of year to do that because the ground is wet and the honeysuckle comes out pretty easy.
Who's with me.
We will probably play a round after a few hours of work. Meet around 10:30 at the back parking lot by the pile of gravel.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2005 6:46:39 PM

Sorry if I misread -- I can see you simply meant that this would be a good weekend for all adopt-a-hole people to do some work on their holes at whatever time is most convenient for them.

Don if you can bring your hip waders you might let Fred know when you can be there. I think there is a disc he'd like to retrieve :)
Rob J
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:01:24 PM

Fred built a bridge to the long pin (across the pond) for hole 2. It is definitely a great upgrade. Thanks for your tireless work Fred. bow
If anyone should feel they have done their share and can let others do the work its you, and yet you seem to be one of the few, if not the only one, moving mountains...
Znash
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 8:09:36 AM

Does this man ever stop, Fred the legion of Cincinnati disc golf?
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 6:46:51 PM

I think legions of golfers would agree Fred is a legend.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:10:12 PM

For all Adopt a holeees: It looks like this coming Saturday will be a good day to work on your hole. So far the weather looks decent. I will be working on my own hole so if you need some tools come out and get to it. Will probably play a round afterwards, say 2:00.
Right now, it looks like there will be some holes up for adoption after this winter in case anyone is interested. Some of you have not met the minimum requirements for adopting a hole.
Probable holes that will be up for adoption are: #1, #2(Brian where are you), #5, #6, #7, #8, #10, #11, #12 #18.
I hate to be an arse about this but if you can't do the work you shouldn't take the credit for it.
So, Who's with me.....
Concerned
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 2:18:04 PM

Great ideas and excitement abound. NEngle what is the report on stump removal to date? I have been thinking about taking on this task and have ideas which could make the job easy and rewarding on said matter. Freddy Salsa I say kudos to your fine work and your motivational tactics are indeed of championship nature and a leader you are good man. We should unite and stay the course and do away with those who try to foil our efforts like the pariah the ferret and not fall to the evil of pansy uncertainty! I will devote all my energy and due time to keeping away vandals the theives alike. Concerned here! When I get back in town I will attack the tasks at hand. I have to run changing brake and window washing fluids.....dirt and filth. Nengle stay in touch please F. Salsa good day! As always "Let those sweet babies soar"...Im' out!
Rob J
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 8:16:55 PM

Fred, see you there tomorrow (Saturday) at 11am. Hopefully Alan can make it and maybe Mike B. will show and Liz will practice and then be ready to tee off with us at 2pm. Anyone who can show up and pitch in will be appreciated. We'll work on course improvements from 11 till 2 and then play disc golf at 2pm... If we aren't at near hole 1 drive back by 15's teepad and look for Fred near 15's basket.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:38:58 PM

No problem Fred. I guess others just didn't want to get in the way of the huge work crew of 2 people which we comprised :) can you think of any other reasons why practicly noone ever shows up to help you on course improvements at Idlewild? A sense of entitlement? Are they all just users? Lazy? They hate the course? Do we smell bad? :) Just think of what could be accomplished if everyone who plays the courses donated just 8 hours of their time a year helping take care of and improve them ... meanwhile ever year you spend hundreds of volunteer hours working like no other that i am aware of ...

I am thinking on all the adopt-a-hole signs you should put:

"Born and raised by Fred Salaz; Adopted by [insert name here]"

Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 11:59:08 AM

Saturday was actually a nice day. It's hard to get rid of someone who has donated some time but can't come out as often as they would like. I like to give them some credit for their efforts. It's not like their getting paid to work on their hole. Although they can save a ton of money on disc purchases from me(Disc-n-tucky).
I will be replacing a few adopt a holeee's as soon as someone else steps up.
Thanks for your imput, whoever you are.