Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
bschick
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 8:51:30 AM

I gotcha Fred, maybe I need to play it before I comment. My main point is making a hole harder, doesn't always make the hole better. If you are worried about too many eagles, make it a par three. I just really thought that was one of the best holes with the basket placement right by the water. Really made you think about how bad you wanted that putt. I can't believe people think that is such an easy hole. I rarely got off the tee it seemed? LMAO
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:24:25 AM

Hole 11 is stil beautiful and fun to play. The putt still makes you think as it did before the change, but you are probably going to score 1 stroke worse than before. If you played the hole perfect before the change you had a chance at a 2. Now if you play the hole perfect you have a chance for a 3, maybe a 2 with the most perfect drive ever.
STEVO
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 4:02:18 PM

How about moving the basket back across to the "close" side of the creek, but then move it, say, 50 feet further down the creek bank? The risk/reward principles would all be in play, and that second shot would be tough no matter how good your drive was.
twilmans
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:27:17 PM

Hey...I am a new player. I've only been playing for about 2 months. I was thinking about playing Idlewild while on vacation next week. Good idea bad idea? Is it too tough for newbies? It's sounds like an incredible course so I thought I would check it out.
NEngle
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:40:44 PM

It'll change the way you think about the sport. PLay it, but don't get too mad when you write an 8 or 9 on your scorecard!
twilmans
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 6:47:26 PM

I realize that is a tough course, just from reading about it on here. But I have played Harbin alot , Monroe alot, and Sycamore up in dayton alot, and was just looking for something different and really challenging. Not to say Monroe and Sycamore aren't enough of a challenge for me, I guess I just want to see what all the hoopla is about. Anyone interested in showing me the ropes next week at Idlewild? :think
andersab
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 8:13:09 PM

Pack a lunch.. you'll have a great time...
Craig
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 9:59:15 PM

If you can make it through Sickamore without hating the game you'll love Idlewild. It's longer but there is legit par 4 and 5's. Much better design. Not as many prayers needed. Take some friend and make a day out of it.  Course is pretty self-explainatory, but print out a map to be safe.  My definition of self-explainatory is being able to find the next hole, and which way's the basket, not how to throw the holes.
Sweetriver
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:05:13 PM

watch out for marauding bengals fans. they tend to hide around the turn and beat up on steelers fans. nothing personal, just business
twilmans
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:39:45 PM

Quote:
Sweetriver - 11/10/2007 10:05 PM

watch out for marauding bengals fans. they tend to hide around the turn and beat up on steelers fans. nothing personal, just business

If that's the case the bengal fans are three steps ahead of the actual team who can't beat up on anyone except parking lot attendants. this is what it must be like to be a bengals fan :banghead2
twilmans
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:41:06 PM

Quote:
Craig - 11/10/2007 9:59 PM

If you can make it through Sickamore without hating the game you'll love Idlewild. It's longer but there is legit par 4 and 5's. Much better design. Not as many prayers needed. Take some friend and make a day out of it. Course is pretty self-explainatory, but print out a map to be safe. My definition of self-explainatory is being able to find the next hole, and which way's the basket, not how to throw the holes.

I take it you don't like sycamore? I like it alright...I work in Dayton so I sometimes play there for lunch.
Craig
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:02:35 PM

I think sycamore has some great holes, but there are a few that are not to my liking. Don't remember the #'s but the one you have to go over the row of trees is great. The few were you throw 300 or so to a particular spot, then go backwards up a walking path, I don't really care for. But I haven't been for a year or so. Maybe things have changed???????
STEVO
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 8:11:47 AM

Craig, three or four holes up there have been changed slightly, and the course now has concrete tee pads, nice. Check it out.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 9:52:23 AM

Tom, I might be able to make it down to Idlewild to show you around in the next few weeks. It would have to be on a weekend for me. I live in Fairfield so it would be easy to meet up.
twilmans
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 3:42:24 PM

Thanks for the offer John I may take you up on it. I was thinking of playing during the week though, while on vacation
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:00:42 AM

Apparently there is someone out there that is bending trees at Idlewild, (let's call him"Monkey BOY"). I'm thinking it's the same person that killed over a dozen trees at Mt Airy. If you see someone climbing trees, please stop them, tell them we're watching and call the cops.
We as a club need to do something about the vandalizing that continues on the disc golf courses. Everyone should have the numbers to local police in their cell phone, just in case. If someone has time to look them up and post here that would be great.
Boone County Police, 859-371-1234
Kenton County Police, 859-856-3191
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:21:03 AM

Fairfield Police for Harbin is 513-829-8201. If you call this number they can forward you to another local police department.
LStephens
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:26:23 PM

Fred, I'll be playing Monday and Tuesday at Idlewild from around 12:30 to 2pm each day. If I see anyone doing anything crazy I'll call the Boone County Police after me and my 3 blue collar buddies have a straightforward talk with Monkey Boy. I'll be sure to keep my phone with camera on me and take some photos if we see them so anyone here can identify the perps if they run. I'll try not to reenact the Godfather on them with flying discs nor say anything that would make the squirrels blush.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 11:37:36 AM

I will be updating the Adopt a Hole signs over the winter and wanted to check to see if the current adopt a holees are still interested in keeping their holes. Holes up for adoption or holes that have been negleted are listed below. If you have adopted a hole and want to continue to adopt it let me know but you must commit some work to your hole. Quite a few of you have not done anything for a while so I need to know if you are still interested in keeping your adopted hole. I will not post names just the hole number.
Thanks

#4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #12, #13, #15, #16, #17

If I don't hear back from you I will put these holes up for adoption at the beginning of the year. New players are showing interest and I need to take advantage of it before they change their mind.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 12:16:00 PM

Fred, how about a "when, where, what" post here in the Idlewild thread about the closing of the course to control erosion this winter? This is the place people are most likely to look for info on Idlewild if they plan to make a trip and visit it.

I was going to copy and paste the old post you had in the Ice Bowl forum but can't find it -- did someone delete a bunch of posts?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:53:12 PM

Idlewild will be closed for Erosion control, maintenance, and general upgrades from January 2 to February 29 2008. I'll get the parks to post signs in appropriate locations. Your cooperation is appreciated. My goal is to keep Idlewild from becoming like Mt Airy and Banklick as far as erosion is concerned. We will be spreading gravel, building a tiered wall on #5, defining the OB line along the creek and cleaning up the dead and downed trees. I would like the hole adoptees' to meet me at 11:00 on Saturday January 5 at the #1 tee. We will be shoveling gravel and deciding on order of projects. Would like to meet every Saturday if possible.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:17:53 AM

Rob,
Some posts were accidently deleted - I think about 12 days worth a couple weeks ago, from approx. 12-12 thru 12-24 I think???
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:18:38 AM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 1/1/2008 4:53 PM

Idlewild will be closed for Erosion control, maintenance, and general upgrades from January 2 to February 29 2008. I'll get the parks to post signs in appropriate locations. Your cooperation is appreciated. My goal is to keep Idlewild from becoming like Mt Airy and Banklick as far as erosion is concerned. We will be spreading gravel, building a tiered wall on #5, defining the OB line along the creek and cleaning up the dead and downed trees. I would like the hole adoptees' to meet me at 11:00 on Saturday January 5 at the #1 tee. We will be shoveling gravel and deciding on order of projects. Would like to meet every Saturday if possible.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:20:34 AM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 1/1/2008 4:53 PM

... Would like to meet every Saturday if possible.

Every Saturday? Looking at my 2008 calendar, some/most of my Saturdays are booked between weddings and disc golf tournaments. I should be able to be out there this Saturday.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 12:19:32 PM

Just letting all the hole adoptee's know that I will be out there if they need help. Every Saturday, during the months of January and February weather permitting and there are no other work days scheduled by the club somewhere else.