Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Kool Keith
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 3:57:56 PM

Extension office has been notified, they want me to call a EAB hotline. I'll be doing that shortly.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:34:48 PM

The EAB/larvae hotline folks have Fred's # and will likely call him.
Seanboy
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:10:30 AM

Fyi I am a certified arborist and can also assist in helping with any identification for ash trees or EAB I have received a great deal of training on EAB and also our company offers a treatment program using the Arborjet system to treat "non-infested" trees. You are right, if a tree is infested it must be removed and destroyed on site to help stop the spread of the EAB adults. ALWAYS the first step is to contact the EAB hotline so the trees can be assessed by a representative and to determine what steps need to be taken. So far Kentucky is not on the list.
Also a key point is that Ash trees have a number of native borers already, so identification is the key.

Here is the current EAB map:

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/eab/maps/eab-map-QuadStatePositives.pdf

Also a great EAB site:

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

I better add this since most people aren't sure exactly how to identify an ash tree:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0055.html
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 3:00:18 PM

We will be out again tomorrow at Idlewild marking the OB with RR ties. Meet at 11:00 on hole #16. Bring tools if you have em.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:37:29 AM

I will be there late. Something came up in the neighborhood that I want to be involved in.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 3:01:29 PM

I will be meeting with someone about the EAB/larvae tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:45:20 AM

Well, I met wtih a guy named Harold and was told, drum roll please " It is not the EAB/Larvae" Lucky for us because the fix for finding the eab on an ash tree is removing every ash tree within a 1 mile radius of the infected tree. They have found some in Hamilton, unfortunately and they seem to travel about a mile per year. So it sounds like it's just a matter time.
Good day.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 2:44:08 PM

Seanboy
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 7:53:26 PM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 1/29/2008 2:45 PM

Well, I met wtih a guy named Harold and was told, drum roll please " It is not the EAB/Larvae" Lucky for us because the fix for finding the eab on an ash tree is removing every ash tree within a 1 mile radius of the infected tree. They have found some in Hamilton, unfortunately and they seem to travel about a mile per year. So it sounds like it's just a matter time.
Good day.

The idea of removing uninfected ash trees has stopped almost completely. This is not recommended anymore. But there is some good news on the horizon; they have found a natural predator of the EAB (actually 3) one was introduced in Michigan and the others probably came with the EAB 20 years ago. Is this guy an "arborist" Fred, bacause that is some outdated info about tremoving them?
LStephens
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:48:42 PM

What is the natural predator? I've heard of DTI...Direct Trunk Injections of pesticides....and BotaniGuard(TM)... I've read about Enoclerus, Catogenus, and Trogossitid...but I don't know what a clerid, passandrid, and a trogossitid is...so I guess I'll have to wikipedia or google those. I've also read about plans to genetically engineer the EAB and release it into the wild.....however...you gotta think before you do something so rash. Throughout the years I've seen many stories of Asian plants and animals taking over local populations to a detrimental end. Striped Bass in southern lakes, Kudzu running rampant throughout the south killing everything in its path....once thought to be unstoppable with a growth rate of 1 foot per day....then found that pigs and goats really liked to eat the roots and a handful of either could clear hundreds of acres of the foul growth..and later found to be easily killed with nothing more than RoundUp(tm) only when the plant blooms.

Personally I don't see how you couldn't use small watt microwaves to cook the larvae while inside the tree....a quick rise in water temp of the larvae will instantly kill them while it will do little damage to the tree because of the way plant cells and ...errr...animal...insect....whatever cells are designed. I bet you $$$$$ that will work. Just go ahead and send me my reward.
Seanboy
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:12:41 PM

DTI's so far have had great results and are a preferred pesticide delivery. We use a system called Arbor-Jet which works quite well. The natural predators are wasps. They lay their eggs either on the larvae or the egg, thus killing it as the wasps young develop. I agree releasing predators into the wild or a "foreign" environment has many drawbacks. In what I've read and heard at lectures states that the wasps die back once the EAB population is eradicated or reduced significantly, since this is their only food source. It is very similar to disease decline or disappearance once its host plant is gone or reduced to small levels. Unfortunately insects are able to adapt better than diseases can. So far EAB haven't moved to different species and hopefully this won't happen. My most recent lecture talked about ash populations being reduced by 60% in the next 5 years. Now this is an "controlled" stand of trees for research purposes, but scary for our ash tree future. Unfortunately the biggest reason for such a rapid movement of this pest is US. Campers bringing wood from home to their campsites and other people who just don't care or know better. They are now setting up checkpoints at campgrounds to have the wood checked to see if it ash or not to help on this point.

ps NO NUKES, NO NUKES!!!!!!
Kool Keith
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:41:13 PM

It was a certified arborist, as least it was supposed to be. We called the county extension office, which gave us the EAB hotline and they sent out an official to take a tour of the area with Fred.

I'm happy to hear that we are safe for now out there. Thanks for the education Seanboy.
Seanboy
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 11:43:09 PM

Anyway I can help!

Glad to hear you guys were put in the right direction. Glad to hear he is an arborist!!
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:17:07 AM

Mother nature has a very strong backhand.
good to see you guys workin on this.
Keep it up
rufo0420
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:04:16 PM

when will course be ready for a practice round or two?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:23:22 AM

practice for what?
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:17:08 AM

Fred,

The weather is looking kinda crudy for Saturday...we going to have a workday Sunday?
Sweetriver
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:01:44 AM

why open idlewild at all? Just use it for tournaments and since people can't practice it, it will be the most difficult courses in the world. Keeping it closed indefinitely is the only way to keep people from destroying it, while at the same time keeping people from scoring too well due to showoffy practice.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:02:10 PM

Lee, I'm not sure what's going to happen for the next couple of months. I finished tearing a tendon in my foot last week in California. The MRI said it was already torn before I left so I'm assuming I did it playing bball. I'll probably get cut on in the next couple of weeks. It's tough getting old.
I'm hoping you guys(hole adoptee's) can step up and finish the last couple of projects. I can be out there but won't be much help. I'd like to still keep meeting every Saturday till it warms up, weather permitting. Sunday, Matt has scheduled a work day at Gulley, he could use your(and everyone eles's) help.
Gaehl, just be patient.
Sweetriver
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:50:12 PM

i'll try but its killing me
rufo0420
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:01:41 PM

practice for the Icebowl........thought Idlewild was a public park (course closed????????)

why not take all the baskets out and make it temporary?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:58:34 PM

It is a public park, the park department closed the course. They close golf courses for the winter don't they. Can you imagine what they would look like if they didn't. Thanks for the idea of pulling the baskets though, next year I'll make sure they take the baskets out till spring. Got any more ideas, keep em coming.
rufo0420
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:20:20 PM

then why bother havind a tournament there until it's ready?
for such a wise guy that's not too smart of you!
but hey I'm just an average every day player; not an icon like yourself.

figure if course is closed why not wait until the spring or summer?...................anyone?
then maybe "pain in the asses" like myself wouldn't want to sneak pre tourney rounds in.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:42:54 PM

Russ,
Fred has offered to "open up" Idlewild so we can play the Icebowl there on 2/23 - thanks Fred.
a_hlavac
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:05:11 PM

why open idlewild at all? Just use it for tournaments and since people can't practice it, it will be the most difficult courses in the world. Keeping it closed indefinitely is the only way to keep people from destroying it, while at the same time keeping people from scoring too well due to showoffy practice.

Please don't restrict Idlewild to tournament play only. I am a recreational player who brags about this course to my friends from Dayton/Columbus, etc. We respect the game, do not litter, and try to leave the course in the same condition we found it. My heart would be broken if I drove to Idlewild and couldn't play one of the premiere course in the area...