Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:20:01 AM

wrong jason
TyFarina
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:28:14 AM

Lee-
I'll have the bolts on #13 short today along with the final seeding of grass throughout the course. What I need is a saw to get the RR ties cut in to place on #15...If anyone can meet me out there today or tomorrow shoot me a PM so I can get those looking good for the tourney. thanks
LStephens
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:09:47 AM

13ruce-1337 wrote:
wrong jason

Oh...we only know about 47 jasons...it was bound to happen.

Ty, I got some extra bolts in my pocket..but I'll be at Banklick today...if you slack and don't get them in..I'll be at Idlewild tomorrow and put them in myself.

Chad, I got some extra bolts for your basket as well..because I know you are determined to lose one and start cussing laugh
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:09:11 PM

Lingo1976 wrote:
ANYONE GOING TO BE AT IDLEWILD TOMORROW. I haven't played Idlewild in awhile and need to get at least one practice round in before the BG Open this weekend. JASONKERL@INSIGHTBB.COM OR (859)907-5375 J-son

the Tuesday Ace Fund is at Idlewild -- i think tee off is around 5:45pm (15 min early to accomodate the time it takes to play the course and the time it gets dark)

see: http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Default.aspx?tabid=74&g=posts&t=364&p=13

andersab
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:45:37 PM

time is at 6 today per fred at the club meeting last night
TyFarina
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:27:13 PM

LOL thanks Brad...you should have showed up tonight and donated to the cause....Matt and Pete were the winners tonight with Al-Man in a one stroke behind second....Nice rounds guys..hope to see you all at Mt. Airy next week for the Ace Fund again...
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 3:02:27 PM

Tyson, I will likely make another 50 mile round trip trek to Idlewild tonight.
I plan to cut the RR ties on # 15 and anchor them with the rebar - If you can meet me, that would be great.
Is the seed we planted coming up yet?
Also, did you remove the extra RR ties we over - distributed?
I will bring the O.B. stakes too.

I will call our dispatcher/Captain Fred just before I leave home.
TyFarina
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:24:21 PM

Bob---- already cut the ones on 15 last night.....the seed is coming in slow....thinking fred has the seed bag in his truck....had a situation to attend to today that kept me from getting out there...also moved the extras off 16 with a lot of help
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:02:06 AM

The parks department was out today cutting the grass everywhere. The trees are starting to bud out...flowers are popping up...and idlewild is starting to look gorgeous.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:09:10 PM

I just wanted to thank John Bartram from Frankfort who was planning on playing Idlewild on Tuesday and saw us working on #2 and pitched in to help set some RR ties on #15. John just got back from Iraq with everything intact. John, welcome back and thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to our country.
TyFarina
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:29:15 PM

Amen to that!!!!
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:24:10 PM

Spring has sprung and with the recent rains have everything growing like mad at Idlewild. I'm going to be going out there over the next week or so, in the evenings, with the weedeater to get those tough to mow places. If you have a gas weedeater and would like to join me, send me a PM here.
ahlavac
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 11:42:15 AM

I sent a polite email to David Whitehouse requesting regular maintenance/mowing at Idlewild.

BTW: I truly appreciate all of the work this club does to promote a healthy disc golf community in Cincinnati!
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 3:23:18 PM

There was some damage from Wednesday's storm that Eric S. and i noticed yesterday -- here are some pics Eric took w/ his phone...

Hole 15 green wall

Hole 16

Hole 16

Hole 16; short green

There was also a downed tree on Hole 9 near the basket...  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above one of 11 was just to suggest the second part of this OB line be moved up and extended straight
to the bushes/ tree line instead of bending down to the creek since that lower area will be underwater during
an event where we see serious rain...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 4:52:28 PM

Looks like we've got some work to do, I'll supervise.   Saturday, 1:00 pm. I can't be there any sooner.
I saw that bridge in the creek the other day but didn't want to make you guys work in the middle of the round. It must have been a gully washer the other night.
sammyshaheen
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 5:20:09 PM

Played the course yesterday. Two monster rounds form the longs. Looks great. On 16 it looked like the creek was out of
it's banks in a big way.

Keep up the good work.
Take care
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 5:29:27 PM

i think the second bridge on 16 is too low and acts like a damn causing the river to rise even higher when there is heavy rain. it would be difficult work -- but ideally the telephone poles supporting that bridge should be a foot higher (just above -- rather than in -- the creek bed)
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 8:16:43 PM

then they wouldn't be able to get the mower across the bridge
Firebird
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:43:17 PM

Fred, I decided to work on hole 16 because, hole 15 looked like to much work for one person, instead  I removed about a 15' section near sixteen's long position that was leaning forward. That took me all day , therefor I didn't have time or the energy to do a better job on the section of wall near sixteen's short placement. 
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2008 10:14:49 PM

Thank you, you don't know how much I appreciate it. We'll get the rest some time this week. Please come to the party next Saturday night if you can, I'll buy you a beer.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2008 11:39:05 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
then they wouldn't be able to get the mower across the bridge

tractor-cut grass is nice, but that seems like a very small area of land to sacrifice flooding for; still, 
maybe they could raise the telephone pole supports a foot and build small ramps on each side...

here is a link to some good Idlewild reviews you might appreciate Fred:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=507&mode=rev

Firebird
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 6:23:29 PM

I think we will eventually get construction secured up creek and, will not have material clogging the waterway.  In the furture I can work on keeping debree out of the water befor the storms. I would like the new bridge to stay because it will save me a lot of work. When I normally mow that smaller area I always end up mowing the entire hole, i can't help it; can not leave with the hole looking half done. My insperation is the Idlewild reviews. 
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:04:26 AM

Rob J wrote:

tractor-cut grass is nice, but that seems like a very small area of land to sacrifice flooding for; still, 
maybe they could raise the telephone pole supports a foot and build small ramps on each side...

here is a link to some good Idlewild reviews you might appreciate Fred:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=507&mode=rev

I'm not sure which small area you are talking about but ,letting it grow might add another kind of challenge(as if it needs it) to the hole.In checking out the reviews I noticed one from my good friend Denny Ritner from MI and now living in FL .He was one of the organizers of the Disc Golf Cruise who gave Idlewild his highest ratin(the only course he has given it to). It is the most well maintained course I've ever seen. I would like to see the alternate pin on 14 sometime, if possible.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:45:46 PM

It would make the hole almost as bearish as hole #6.
If Fred gives the go-ahead could you help clear the undergrowth.
Maybe it could happen next winter after ALL maintenance of the course is finished.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:49:43 PM

the bridge allows tractor access to the first landing area of the hole. the problem with the telephone pole bridge supports being dug down into the creek bed is that they act like a dam and make the creek rise higher than it otherwise would during high water. that places the core walls and greens downstream in greater jeopardy during heavy rains. you will never see a bridge built anywhere but completely above a creek bed when flooding is a concern... maybe we could raise the bridge a foot and still attain tractor access with a ramp up and down on each side... of course the problem is there aren't a lot of us volunteering to get it done...

hole 15's green got washed out because the drainage PVC pipe that runs under the walkway to 16's tee gets clogged with debris (it's too small in diameter too even thought it is normally dry there). we probably need to dig a much bigger drainage path there or 15's green will continue to get hit hard during heavy rain too...