Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:53:55 PM

Rob J wrote:
maybe we could raise the bridge a foot and still attain tractor access with a ramp up and down on each side... of course the problem is there aren't a lot of us volunteering to get it done...

Rob, I wasn't there when this bridge was put in but how much time in labor hours would be required to do that?  Also, how many people (I am assuming at least 4).  Do you think that we would have to use concrete to back fill where those poles are dug out today?  I would help out if we had a plan prior to getting out there but I thnk someone who was closer to the initial install could shed light on it...
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:05:49 PM

You'll need 100 ft of good rope/chain, snatch block, 6 men, 4wd truck, long prybars, shovels, concrete, and probably 2 days.

Dragging them into some holes was one thing.... pulling them back out, filling in with concrete, building them up from ground level, and then securely mounting them.

The creek area is always going to take some maintenance. Weak box elder maples in the creekbed constantly drop limbs, debris gets carried to the creeks from all over the course, and then it starts to get backed up. The concrete cores that are held down by gravity and nothing else are going to fall/move everytime the rains bring the creek up. 15's green floods not BECAUSE of the narrow drain between the green and 16's tee, but it doesn't help the situation either.

perica
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:21:31 PM

i know this might sound crazy, but could access for the mowing be gained from up on the hill by hole 10? its steep; but not necessarily out of the question if the county could get some heavy equipment.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:31:52 AM

Is there a reason why the cores aren't secured with mortar or something?
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:28:51 PM

Fred hand loaded *all* the cores into his van, drove them to the course, and then with some help sometimes unloaded and stacked them. it would be a huge undertaking to cement them all in place... noone will complain though if you want to get it done :)
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:34:19 PM

Kool Keith wrote:
15's green floods not BECAUSE of the narrow drain between the green and 16's tee, but it doesn't help the situation either.

Keith, 15's green mainly floods because of that drain clogging and being too small -- that ditch gets a pretty large amount of run-off rain water when we get heavy rains -- and instead of that ditch draining under the path to 16's tee the water rushes down the path between 15's pin and 16's tee, washing out the mulch and pushing with heavy current on the cores (see pic below).  there are times  when the creek itself gets up there too, but usually it is that ditch which washes out 15's green.   you can see where the rushing water has cut out the mud behind the cores in the pic below. 

Hole 15 green wall
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:17:24 PM

Kool Keith wrote:
You'll need 100 ft of good rope/chain, snatch block, 6 men, 4wd truck, long prybars, shovels, concrete, and probably 2 days. Dragging them into some holes was one thing.... pulling them back out, filling in with concrete, building them up from ground level, and then securely mounting them.

it would be a bear of a job, but we could move the brigde a few feet, fill the holes with mud, lay the the poles on the ground and anchor them by driving two pieces of metal sign post material on the side of each pole to keep them from rolling.  as soon as the planks are nailed down the bridge isn't going to roll anywhere anyway, but the anchors would deter floating and drifting in very high waters.  i know it isn't going to be deemed a priority, but it wouldn't be quite as bad as you make it out to be nono
KevinB
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 4:52:50 PM

I'll be out at Idlewild this week in the evenings, after 6:15pm, if anyone wants to help me with weedeating the creekbed and pruning a few branches here & there for KY States.
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:36:11 PM

The areas that were sprayed and killed off on both sides of hole 5 and hole 15's fairways have been raked by tractor and seeded with wildflowers. Those areas will be allowed to grow, hopefully with abundant wildflowers. If all grows in, hole 15 will have a beautiful, well defined fairway next spring.
This is a project that was done in conjunction with University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:33:31 PM

oh wow, cool, I was wondering what was going on out there.
ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:14:49 PM

This is why Idlewild is consistently ranked among the world's best courses on www.dgcoursereview.com. I think it's currently ranked #1. Banklick is also a top rated course on that site. We are so lucky!
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:30:34 PM

I haven't been out there in a few weeks. What % of the fairway will be growing?

Less grass to mow, so less hours to pay, and in turn less gas. But, more lost discs, and in turn more sold discs. Which means more $ spent on gas to get to the store to buy the disc............ Doesn't it seem that the price of gas is always on your mind these days?

I'm sure it will look great.

J-son
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:58:44 AM

Depending on how dense the wildflowers grow, the rough on either side of 15's fairway "could" become quite the disc hiding "SHULE".
The fairway is about 100 feet wide but when you are facing a 1000 foot hole, one tends to come out of their shoes and cut loose with a somewhat errant huck, from time to time. Of course, if you want to play an easy course, do not play Idlewild....
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:23:28 PM

bobherb wrote:
if you want to play an easy course, do not play Idlewild....

stop  ^ that's classic ^ 
mikesech
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:40:04 PM

still havent played there been wanting to though.
Firebird
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:14:00 PM

back in 2000 there were wildflowers between holes 14&15 or was it between 13&14? Anyway, I really was disapointed when the park had them mowed over; especially since they didn't come into play. I would like to see this area return to its natural habitat.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 2:31:08 PM

The current goal, I believe, is to let the areas that don't come into play grow back to a natural habitat.
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:43:44 PM

Tree down across seventeens fairway. Took a pic but stupid phone want let me load it. it was one of the larger ones on that hole about half way through on the right.cryHate to see that tree down it might help my score but i liked hitting it every time.
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 11:35:07 PM

Yea..I was out there at 1PM...and that poor tree in the center of the fairway is toast...shame...it wasn't the one I was hoping would fall. Now the big dead tree near the basket needs to be chainsawed as well...that thing could come down and crush the basket and then we'd all cry :(
Enzy
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:14:33 AM

I will be out at hole 17 to cut up the tree at 6pm on Aug. 12 if any one can help drag it away that would be great. Adopt-a-hole #18
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:25:45 AM

If any is left August 13th at noon...I'll drag it out of the way.... Adopt-a-hole #7
Enzy
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:34:27 AM

Sorry Guys, my chainsaw is broke so I did all I could with a hand saw. At least the branch sticking straight up in the air is down. I am going to try and get to the rest of the tree on sunday evening, I'll post it when I know for sure.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:58:43 AM

Brad, I'll get the parks to do it. Thanks for your efforts, you guys do great work.
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:01:04 PM

Sunday evening is the Bengals Lions preseason game. Couldn't ask for a better tailgating party could ya. I'll be drinking ice cold cervezas.

Who Dey
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:30:43 PM

There seems to be a vandal, or group of vandals, that is going out of their way to deface or destroy things out at Idlewild Disc Golf Course.
Any one that witnesses a person, or persons, vandalizing anything on the course is encouraged to call the Boone County Sheriff at 859-371-1234.
If you cannot do so at the time, please take note of time of day and a description of the alleged perpetrator, or perpetrators, and PM it to me via this site.
I want to catch the guilty individual, or individuals, and Boone County Parks will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.
Thank you.