Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
perica
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 4:55:48 PM

Hole 5 Question:

Does the OB to the right of the landing area extend all the way back around to the tee pad and over towards hole 3's green area, essentially making the tee pad the only thing inbounds on that side of the creek?
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:44:43 PM

Fred had us mark it for tourneys where if you get to 15's fairway you become OB, but if you lay up in front of 5's bridge you are good. Maybe we could create some kind of *gravel* (yeah that's the ticket) line from the right front corner of the teepad to the creek to separate 15 and 5... (?)

it seems to me , if you get to three's green you should be considered OB too since you are beyond the creek and left of the landing area.

Fred what's the course Pro say?
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:55:57 AM

KevinB wrote:
There seems to be a vandal, or group of vandals, that is going out of their way to deface or destroy things out at Idlewild Disc Golf Course. Any one that witnesses a person, or persons, vandalizing anything on the course is encouraged to call the Boone County Sheriff at 859-371-1234. If you cannot do so at the time, please take note of time of day and a description of the alleged perpetrator, or perpetrators, and PM it to me via this site. I want to catch the guilty individual, or individuals, and Boone County Parks will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. Thank you.

Is he putting in his own tee pads and creating new fairways that run across walking paths?  If so he may be back on his way to Williamsburg or a course near you!
Meow_Mix
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 2:28:16 PM

Cox, I highly suggest you knock off that crap now...
KevinB
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:54:51 AM

Idlewild took a beating Sunday from the wind storm.
I'd like to ask all adopt a hole volunteers, along with anyone else that would like to join us, to come out for a cleanup/workday on Saturday, September 20th, at 10am to help get the course in shape for Kentucky State Doubles the following week.
I'll donate my weeks paycheck (which isn't much) from Boone County Parks part-time job towards the tab for food/beverage afterwards for those that come out to help. Maybe we can work, grab some lunch, then play some doubles for practice.
I'll be out there in the evenings this week trying to cut some stuff up.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 7:42:31 AM

I can't do Saturday, but I will be out there this week.
Liz
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 8:58:58 AM

I'll be at Women's Nationals on Saturday, but I'm off today b/c of the lack of power there, so I'm planning on heading down to Idlewild to help out as much as I can - probably will be there in the afternoon, if anyone else wants to meet me out there, let me know.
Liz
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 8:23:12 PM

Wow, Idlewild took a serious beating! Long hole 13 is unplayable and long 14 isn't much better, the basket on long 13 is completely covered by the tree that was on the bank, which was uprooted. We played a round and picked up as much "limbage" as possible, but it probably doesn't even look like we made a dent in it. Good luck to everyone this weekend, it will take a number of man hours to get it completely cleared.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 10:25:54 PM

Chainsaws are needed on just about every hole, if anyone has some to volunteer. I'll be out there every night this week if some one wants to do the cutting, I can do the carrying. We made a pretty good dent on 7-12 and 6 basket area tonight, we just need chainsaws on each of those holes to finish them off. It is actually a bit dangerous to play out there with all the trees uprooted that are held up by just vines or other dead trees. The course is now closed until we can get it taken care of.
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 11:26:10 PM

I put in a good hour today on #7. I'll get more tomorrow...and the next day..and the next day...but I can't do Saturday since we'll be in Dayton.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:55:51 PM

Liz wrote:
Wow, Idlewild took a serious beating! Long hole 13 is unplayable and long 14 isn't much better, the basket on long 13 is completely covered by the tree that was on the bank, which was uprooted. We played a round and picked up as much "limbage" as possible, but it probably doesn't even look like we made a dent in it. Good luck to everyone this weekend, it will take a number of man hours to get it completely cleared.

If you saw the carnage then why didn't you just try clearing out at least  one hole instead of playing through the mess.  It would have gone a long way to helping us out.  You know there are times to play and times to step up and work, this is one of those times to work.  You guys could have accomplished quite a bit in just an hour or so.

I heard Mt Airy has some damage as well, the parks has the road going in closed.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:31:46 PM

We did try and clear out "at least one hole", in fact we tried to clear out a lot of holes.
KevinB
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:34:30 PM

There will be a couple of us on hole 14 this evening til dark, if anyone else wants to come lend a hand.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:41:25 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:

If you saw the carnage then why didn't you just try clearing out at least  one hole instead of playing through the mess.  It would have gone a long way to helping us out.  You know there are times to play and times to step up and work, this is one of those times to work.  You guys could have accomplished quite a bit in just an hour or so.

I heard Mt Airy has some damage as well, the parks has the road going in closed.

Let me just add that I do appreciate your efforts and every little bit helps.  Thanks
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:39:40 PM

Uh, good save there, Fred. thumbsup

I'll be down there Saturday to clear my hole (12).  Did anyone notice if that hole needs chainsaw work?
Eric Simpson
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:00:53 PM

All holes need chainsaw work that I saw, I didn't make it to 4 & 16-18 though. As of last night, holes 7-14 were cleaned up with the exception of the big stuff that requires a chainsaw. Hole 12 has a tree on the right of the fairway that will need one, I think it was the white-ish colored tree that came down. The problem is most of trees that need chainsaws are being propped up by other trees or vines, so cutting them down safely won't be easy. There are at least a few holes that have trees leaning near baskets - 8, 12 (I think), 13, & 14.
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:24:15 AM

Rob J wrote:
Fred had us mark it for tourneys where if you get to 15's fairway you become OB, but if you lay up in front of 5's bridge you are good. Maybe we could create some kind of *gravel* (yeah that's the ticket) line from the right front corner of the teepad to the creek to separate 15 and 5... (?)

it seems to me , if you get to three's green you should be considered OB too since you are beyond the creek and left of the landing area.

Fred what's the course Pro say?

If someone is playing 5 and they end up on 15's fairway that person's in trouble anyway.  Making another fairway OB?  Then what about hole 1 if someone throws onto hole 6's fairway?  15 onto 16?  We've all seen those happen too.
perica
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:45:31 AM

one time i threw a devilhawk on 5 and grip locked it ... black ace on 11's basket.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:34:33 PM

Ah the devilhawk has landed on Cinci boards now... I can't wait for a disc manufacturer to make a devilhawk. Thousands of people would buy them :)
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:37:21 PM

PaulDmt wrote:

If someone is playing 5 and they end up on 15's fairway that person's in trouble anyway.  Making another fairway OB?  Then what about hole 1 if someone throws onto hole 6's fairway?  15 onto 16?  We've all seen those happen too.

Have you played in an Idlewild tourney since we started making the area right of hole 5's first landing area an OB and go to dropzone? (last couple years)  The context of this subject was that someone asked whether missing the landing area left of the creek would be OB (drop-zone w/ penalty). 

If you end up in hole 3 or 15's fairway it won't hurt you to go to the drop-zone shooting 3 as hole 5's dropzone is a user-friendly place to be ;-)  

On hole 2 and 3 if you cross the creek into the other hole's fairway you are OB.  And that makes good sense, both for flow and for a gold level course like Idlewild.   
KevinB
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 10:44:38 PM

Anyone wanting to help in cleaning up all the damage, due to Ike, at Idlewild tomorrow, the help will be greatly appreciated.
We are trying to get the course back in shape, so it can be played next week for Kentucky State Doubles practice.
I'll be out there at 8am. You can call my cell at 859-992-8414 to find us.
Otherwise, holes 2, 5, 6, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 will be receiving attention...just listen for chainsaws.
Thanks,
kevin
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 11:28:41 PM

Kevin, I'll be in Dayton...but there is one tree right at #7's tee that needs a chainsaw...other than that..I got most everything else.
Meow_Mix
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:53:31 PM

Fred, Liz is correct. We did clear some branches off the course as we were playing...can't remember what day but it was right after the wind storm. The only major issues are major trees on the course (6,13,14) which need chain saws to get rid of those trees. other than that, the course is still in great shape (besides some minor limbs down) I'm sure with time things will get back to normal. I wouldn't mind pitching in to help...is there a work day in the near future??
Meow_Mix
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:55:42 PM

Now that I am on the subject, can I rebuild the rock wall on hole 9. The wall went to crap and I would like to adopt that hole if it is "up for sale" Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 5:28:55 PM

Meow Mix, not sure who you are but Kevin posted on Friday for a workday on Saturday. Not sure if you played the same course but Idlewild took a severe beating, tons of damage everywhere. Kevin, Keith and two of his neighbors, Andreas and Jason, Bob and daughter, Brian Laws( AAH #5, he kicked butt early and had to leave), Alan Clore, Stevo, myself, a group of outlaws and Boone county parks cleaned it all up. I think we left at 4:30 in the afternoon, most of us were there at 8:00 am. A big thanks also to Eric and Laura Simpson(#8), Lee Stephens(#7), Brad Ensweiler, Keith Napier(#18) they all worked all week to help out. Idlewild looks a little more bare but it still looks good and is very playable.
Kevin bought lunch and the beer was very cold, and good....
Meow Mix, thanks for your efforts. #9 is still Keith's.
What about the flowers on #15. Beautiful, OB or not OB that is the question?