Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
KevinB
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 1:31:05 PM

Again, thanks a lot to all those folks that came out last week and on Saturday to clean up Idlewild. It took a beating, but is back in playable shape again.
Things you will notice; new gaps, open spaces and large piles of debris.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 9:53:37 AM

Dan H Quote from USDGC thread "Idlewild on the other hand has plenty of challenge built in. But I would be all for roping some of the holes, especially #1 and #15".

Dan we thought about making the flowers ob but decided that it's tougher to get a good throw out of the flowers than it would be to take a stroke and throw from the fairway, provided you find your disc. The flowers/grass are only going to get thicker. I'm thinking maybe a drop zone on top of the first hill for any lost disc shots instead of having to walk all the way back to the tee pad.

For #1 being on hole 6's fairway is already penalty enough but on the right side maybe just letting the grass get really tall would add a stroke or two to the score. Letting mother nature make the natural ob looks better than creating artificial ob not to mention less work for the td's.

I am surprised that you guys would want more ob at Idlewild. Is it getting too easy?
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:47:23 PM

how about rip rap rock along the right side of Hole #1 where the dry creek is and making the rip rap and beyond OB? :)

also, is the Devil going to talk you into closing Idlewild again this Winter or will heaven on earth be open year round?
MDR_3000
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:35:28 PM

I'll be rolling through the area on Thursday, I was wondering if someone would be able to show me around Idelwild?

--Mike Robinson
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:35:49 PM

What time?
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 11:35:58 PM

yea..what time?...I'm sure one of us can show you around.
MDR_3000
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:19:26 AM

I think I should be there between noon and 1.

563-271-7620 is my number if anyone decides to show up.
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:23:58 AM

Welp...I guess I'm your guide...that's my normal playing time. I usually play from noon until about 2pm...then off to work I go. If you show up at 1pm...I most likely will only be able to play the front nine with you.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:32:12 AM

maybe depending on weather and a few things?
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:19:49 AM

Should be partly cloudy...just cold...maybe 38F at noon....perfect weather for me. By 'other things' I take that as you waking up...getting the motivation..and driving that long distance...so..I need to get some books back to you anyway...so come on down and we can show him how a pro shoots the course..and how an am shoots the course...as in..me going sidearm on #5 and you going up and over since there are no leaves.
ADM2008
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:55:39 PM

Okay, now I've heard of 3 throws I have a very hard time visualizing:

1. Up and over 2?
2. Up and over 10? I still don't believe this one......
3. Up and over 5?

Looks like Fred's going to have to plant some Red Woods.....but seriously...how do you put it on those lines and keep the nose down at the same time?
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:29:11 AM

Up and Over 10..from what I hear..used to be done before the trees grew any real height...and everyone stop doing it...then Avery Jenkins decides this year that he wasn't done with that angle and made everyone's jaw drop by pulling it off. I think Tyler Horne decided that going up and over #3 was a great idea as well. Going over #2 seems silly to me since you will most likely end up in the water for the long basket...a backhand roller...a toss under the basket.. a drop in 3 and walk on is the best course of action.

I still don't understand people going over the top on #5. I mean I know why they do it...but I don't understand their calculations of the risk/reward payoff for trying it. To me..you play for the safe 4 and walk on...but I guess if you have the arm...you can get the distance..and no matter where you end up..you can toss a forehand outta the crappola and get a 4...and if you actually do hit the fairway..you got a dream chance at a 2 or a fairly easy 3. I 3'd it once with a forehand off the tee...a forehand roller up the hill that actually went thru the legs of a guy playing in front of me..he was trying to putt out and I never saw him until it was too late...
Eric Simpson
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:57:48 AM

Avery went up and over on #3, that is why there is a Mando now from the long tee.

Tyler went up and over on #2 at KY Doubles. First round he went wide right of short's basket, kind of up the hill a bit. The second round he made it over the pond and Fred cleaned up the deuce.
Brad_H
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:05:01 PM

Hello and welcome Brad_H. Good to know that you're a smart alec. MDR 3000 demonstrated the up and over route for me on hole 10. You have to have a cannon and throw to the left, very high, and with as much anhyzer as possible. Didn't think it could be done until he showed me. You get   the disc out to the left above the trees, it turns hard right, and pans onto the fairway past the dogleg.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:43:57 AM

I tried going up and over on 10 and its definitely there if you have the pull to throw it that far but the angle is hard to hit for me. You have to throw something high enough to clear the trees that is flippy enough to keep turning but not too flippy since it needs to come out of it at the end. I tried it 3 or 4 times warming up before the BGO and I only got 1 of them to work out.

I have the D to make it work but its just the angle of the shot that makes it tough for me.
cyrusf1
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 5:19:28 PM

I have never tried (or thought of) the up and over route, but I have been 70 ft past the corner with a sidearm that I hardly threw.  It simply faded at the perfect time, cut the very inside of the corner, and left me a relatively easy approach for a 3.  Its been hard to repeat though, so maybe I'll try that
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:54:52 AM

FELIZ NAVIDAD A TODOS
agentdozzer
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 4:46:46 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know before they go out that baskets for ten and thirteen(long) have been moved about twenty feet short of where they normally are. Three is also moved up in front of the creek. Kinda messed my shot up on ten so figured i would pass it along. There is also some horse dung after ten on the walk to eleven so keep your eyes open that would be a stinky end of your round.
sammyshaheen
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 9:39:48 PM

Is the course open now? I know last year the baskets
were pulled.
Is it going to close this year?
ahlavac
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:08:56 PM

I played Idlewild on 1/4/09. No problems...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:06:13 PM

Gentlemen, Idlewild will close for maintaince and upgrades for about a month after the Ice bowl on Feb 7. Next winter it will close for the complete winter, no ice bowl at Idlewild in 2010. That is confirmed by the Boone county parks director.

FYI - Idlewild will be getting new tee signs this coming season. All tee signs will be sponsored by Disc Golf Hall of Fame members. It will be the first course approved by the Hall of Fame. The NKDGC will be maintaining and impoving the course through out the year. Anyone interested in adopting a hole(your name could be on the same tee sign post with some famous people) contact me via email as salazf@fuse.net. Requirements are 10 hours minimum volunteer work at any course in Northern Ky prior to having your name added to the adopt a hole sign. All current hole adoptees' let me know if you are still interested. Same requirements.
ADM2008
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 9:19:30 PM

Is there work to be done at IdleWild or Boone in preperation for the Ice bowls, I'm guessing we may have some tree branches or possibly small trees down at Idlewild due to the snow and ice, has anyone scoped out the courses lately? Friday's looking like a decent day for Feb, I can take the day off work and do some course work if needed.....clear off the tees, fairways, etc...if someone wants to join or has a list of items to be done let me know...
discndat
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:33:08 AM

I don't know Adam. I haven't had a chance to get out to either one and haven't heard from anyone that's been out there. I'm not sure when I might get a chance to get out there myself but will see if someone can find out if there has been any damage. Lee, you go out to both fairly often - any word?
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:09:52 PM

I'm going out to Idlewild tomorrow and work on my hole. I'm sure the damage is pretty rough on the wooded holes..I'll report back tomorrow night.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:22:43 PM

Walked the wild today. Not too bad, cedar tree down(broke in half) on 5, branch down on 2, cedar bent way over on 11 before the Y tree, other trees bent over #17 fairway and by basket and 18's tee and fairway as well, honeysuckle bent over tee on #7, tree down on corner of #10.  Not bad overall.