Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:11:09 PM

Not bad at all...I was expecting total devastation after all the ice we've seen. Other places around the city have trees broken...I was in Lexington this weekend and I saw a pine tree uprooted at the entrance... an oak completely destroyed on hole #7...and sizeable limbs down all over the course....so I was expecting Idlewild....all the wooded holes....to be completely destroyed and was ready to be disheartened by all the work that must be done for the Ice Bowl this weekend...and it just isn't so...we have just mild cleanup to do...the course should look great by Saturday. I need to take a hand saw out to #7 and get rid of a few things...but overall..the course held up nicely.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 12:15:48 AM

I'm going to be out at Idlewild around 2pm shoveling snow off the tee pads, bridges and steps if anyone is interested in coming out and lending a hand. It should be around 40F tomorrow. The tees are really under a lot of snow and I highly doubt they will melt by tee off Saturday. Saturday looks to be in the mid 50's but we should still have plenty of snow on the ground throughout....so no white BuZZz's for me :(
nienaber
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 7:06:13 PM

hey Lee how is the mud situation at Idlewild? and can I get a quick over view of Boone cuz I've never played that course
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 8:44:57 PM

Good news everyone! I was out at Idlewild at 1:30pm working my tail off just trying to get teepad #1 free of ice and Al Man and Adam show up with some serious looking industrial floor scrapers. They made much quicker work of the situation than my shovel. Jeff Eades shows up a little later with a stainless steel brute that looked like a medieval tool of torture. All together we cleared every pad....longs and shorts. We cleared the relevant bridges, benches and tee signs as well. Several groups were out playing the course for a little practice. The snow and ice is still a little deep and footing may be a little crazy in some spots. A run up may be difficult in some areas since your steps will go down a few inches and your plant foot will be at an angle causing your release points to be off.

Bad New Everyone! Eric Simpson went out to Boone while the rest of us were at Idlewild. He cleaned three teepads before giving up in frustration. The ice under the snow laminated itself to the concrete pretty securely. I personally thought that since Boone is just wide open and the sun was pretty bright all day....the teepads would just warm up and melt away....I guess they didn't. The good news is that we won't be playing there until the afternoon round and we will have plenty of 50+F temps to help melt the teepads. I guess we can do a quick clean up between rounds.

Dan: I haven't been to Boone today...and didn't check to see if we needed a basket for hole 7. I believe it is still damaged from the falling tree many months ago. If someone could bring a quality basket it would be much appreciated. I have an Innova travel basket in the car..but we don't want to actually use that in a tournament.

Brad_H
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 9:02:07 PM

Thanks for all the effort guys. I'll be stuck working while ya'll play the greatest course in the midwest.
Sorry Lee, I'll bet your green Surge is getting mighty homesick by now.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 9:12:34 PM

yep...it's getting home sick...

As far as greatest course in only the midwest...I think this year a few of us are talking ROAD TRIP!!! and go visit some of these other 'great' courses around the nation and decide for ourselves how Idlewild stacks up against the competition...sure..we will be biased...but I don't want anyone talking about X is better than Idlewild on dgcoursereview.com when I see they've only played 4 courses in their entire life. I've played over 60 course in 7 states..and I'm a newb...some of you have played many many more than that and in more states....so...we'll see how we rank with the other guys...and then come back and one up them all.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 9:19:37 PM

Yes, sorry I gave up. I realized after 3 tee pads that if I was going to have a back and arm left for tomorrow, I needed to stop then. I didn't get out until after work around 5, which didn't help. Turns out, ice is hard. Hopefully the warmth of the day while we are at Idlewild will help Boone. It'll be soupy either way.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2009 12:34:31 AM

Idlewild is still closed until March 14. Not sure if disc golfer can't read or don't care. We are reseeding the entire course,spreading gravel, and mulching a few greens and would appreciate if you didn't play while we work on the course.
andersab
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 9:51:07 AM

Hhhhmmm, maybe they are recreational players, and not people that follow this board...
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 1:31:33 PM

My personal opinion is, it is almost impossible to completely close a part of a PUBLIC park. Just so grass can be seeded. Especially a course with so much popularity. It looks like you dug your own grave there Fred. You built a beautiful course so that a lot of people will play. Now that its getting warm those people want to come back to play, some from many miles away. And they come to see the course closed. Im not taking sides, you just have to understand it from the other point of view too.
nienaber
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 2:39:56 PM

That is a good point. I personally will not play there because there are plent other options but when your course is advertised in national magazines as one of the most beautiful parks in the states you are going to get traffic. If people travel long distances they are not going to abide by signs/people telling them not to play just especially on a public course.
frisbeephantom
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:10:40 PM

So the course is going to be open the weekend of the 20-21 Me and some buddies are coming down from michigan to play in the area. just want to make sure the coures is open. Any other suggustions on good courses in the area
discndat
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:46:44 PM

Lincoln Ridge - formerly known as Prince, I mean Banklick Woods, is definitely a must since you're in the area. It's a 24 hole very picturesgue and challenging course. Mt. Airy is across the river in Cincy and is a great course also. You can check out the Course link and map on this site to see where they are all located. There are some nice newer ones north of the city that would be good to play too.

AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:56:59 PM

Side note, I will have to close certain holes at Mt. Airy during the year and we will be pulling the baskets at some point to have them re galvanized which should only take a few days. I will probably rope off the holes or areas on them and have park people and/or others out there or near to help with keeping those holes clear but like always there will be those people that do what ever they want regardless of what we wish. Just have to suck it up and deal with it. Its all for a better and more beautiful outcome and I hope those that truly care and share our passion will help out. Spread the word not just on this board but every Disc Golf message board you all visit. Makes things so much easier when we have great communication. And that can easily solve many many problems.

Frisbeephantom: Mt. Airy in Cincy is a great course to hit on the way down and Lincoln Ridge (formerly Banklick) is always fun to play also and is fairly close to Idlewild. Those are the 3 top ones I usually suggest for visitors.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 8:52:48 PM

There is a sign posted on the course saying it is closed and bags over the baskets but people just don't get it. Next year the baskets will be pulled and put into storage. They close ball golf courses so that there isn't any damage done to the course/greens etc. during the winter months. We're trying to do the same at Idlewild. We don't want it looking like a Winton Woods in 10 years. The parks has the right to close a part of the park if they feel like it is getting abused or over used. It's their call not mine. I just suggested it. You winter time/wet months players just don't realize how much damage you do to a course.
mikekem
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 10:05:50 PM

frisbeephantom wrote:
So the course is going to be open the weekend of the 20-21 Me and some buddies are coming down from michigan to play in the area. just want to make sure the coures is open. Any other suggustions on good courses in the area

I believe it will be open on the for the weekend of the 20th as Fred's post above indicated it will be closed until the14th.
colin_hurley
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2009 11:12:33 PM

helpI'm starting to feel like Clark Griswold showing up to find out that Wally World is closed! Fred must be John Candy's character.... Just kidding Fred.  I can understand about course damage, but the fact is that Cincy gets a loooottttt of rain throughout the ENTIRE YEAR and therefore MUD.  Hiking on frozen ground or snow is way less impact than hiking on the wet slop that you get during all seasons. Closing the course for winter= not logical.  It would make more sense to close the course down after each heavy rain. Might I suggest keeping the course open, but staking off heavily damaged areas for seeding and putting down straw or just closing one hole at a time for repair. That way people from out off town still get to ride the coasters at Wally World.  Just my 2 cents... I love Idlewild too! 
Sweetriver
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:54:42 PM

gotta agree with colin. it really doesn't make much sense to have the course closed when the ground is the hardest and least damagable its going to be all year (aka winter). Also something I've been thinking about lately, the little circle garden of ob on hole 3 is silly. If a disc golf course is on a poor piece of land and needs to be made artificially harder, then thats one thing. WHen you have all the land, trees, and natural hazards that idlewild does, there is no reason to put that ob there. Whoever has adopted hole 3 this year, maybe you could try to nudge fred in that direction. I'm not saying this because I throw my frisbees in there, I'm saying it because that isn't congruent with the rest of the course. If the hole is too easy, move the pin. If you really like that green, then maybe the hole doesn't need to be so hard.
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:46:20 PM

I thought #3 circle was silly as well...however...There is an animal grave there..just call it OB....or that's the story I was told anyway.

POST EDITED FOR DECENCY by a sober Lee
Eric Simpson
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 11:05:10 PM

I never understood #3's OB garden either before a few months ago, then it made perfect sense. I think if more people heard the story behind that particular OB, they'd understand. It is a small enough patch that really shouldn't come in to play anyway. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that hole #3's adopter isn't going to change and shouldn't.
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 9:56:19 PM

Idlewild looked like Heaven on Earth today. I can't wait for leaves to get on the trees. The flowers were trying to come up along the creeks today..you can just see them pushing thru the dirt...maybe a few weeks. The new gravel looks excellent. All the bridges are in good shape and there isn't much debris laying on the fairways. I had a few sick forehand rollers today...so that means the fairways are like carpet.

For those that haven't played the new short #5 pin and short #6 pin...you should come out this week and see how 'sporty' these holes play. I'll tell you this...they flow to the next tee pad pretty nice. The new short/long pin on #11...all the way down the hill and to the left...plays pretty sporty as well.

It does play a little too easy for Idlewild standards but they are there to limit traffic on the fairway slopes and gives time to grow some grass up there. I shot a 62 from the shorts in my first round with a 5 on 3 and several missed putts...but taking a 3 on 5 & 6 will lower your score considerably. I shot a -2 the second round from the shorts but I spent a lot of time in the OB...and I took a 7 on hole 11.

Round 3 I only played the front 9 from the longs and shot a -9...if the sun would have stayed out longer..that would have been fun to see if I could continue on....but again...Idlewild is looking great and I can't wait for 75F sunny days.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 10:00:59 AM

So Idlewild is OPEN for play now. I thought it was 3/21/09. I'll let people know.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:41:44 PM

IDLEWILD TEE SIGN NAMES - Some are new.
1. BLUEGRASS PARKWAY
2. GOT YOUR "A"  GAME?
3. LONG – BEAVER MEMORIAL
    SHORT – RESPECT THE OAK
4. “FOR THE GIRLS”
5. CAN’T DRIVE #5
6. DANIEL BOONE’S TRAIL
7. TORI’S ALLEY
8. GREEN ACRES IS THE PLACE TO BE
9. NO FEAR 1
0. I’M JUST WARMING UP, HOO-YAA
11. KY GAP
12. TREAD THE NEEDLE SEW A DEUCE
13. BIRDIE/BOGIE YOU CHOOSE
14 SHORT - HEEEY! EASY ONE HERE 
      LONG – TOP OF THE HILL FOR A THRILL
15 AIR IT OUT… AND OUT…
16. LAND BETWEEN THE CREEK
17. OVER DUE FOR A DEUCE
18. YA’LL COME BACK NOW, YA HEAR

Signs should be done soon.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:27:29 PM

Cool names Fred look forward to seeing them. I get all of them except number 2, can you explain it? Without the contraction it would be worded, "Got you are a game."  Is it like the hole is playing the player?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:46:59 PM

Thanks Mike, glad you caught that. I should have been in class instead of frisbeeing.