Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Lets_Throwdown
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 1:53:56 PM

Hey Fred. This is JP. The Sam Coon's friend. And if you need some help at the course tell Sam or you can email me at jmayer@zoomtown.com. I don't check these boards too often so i often miss details about work days. But i would be happy to come out and work some day.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 2:41:16 PM

Thanks JP. I will shoot you an email. Good news, something big happening in your neck of the woods.
Dragon
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 4:53:06 PM

Your message would have more action if it wasn't so intemperate. Fred and Rob are more deserving of our praise and thanks than our tirades. They may have been a little testy but, that is no reason for your harsh and critical language. At the least, you should try and understand where they are comming from.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:23:04 PM

I'm gonna weigh in with my .02 about work on the course...
For me, Idlewild's the "other end of the world" for disc golf courses. I've not hidden my dislike for the course in the past, but that's not a dig on you or anyone who works it. If I have a choice, I'm going to play something closer to home which is a little more friendly to my plastic. But that's just me. Any time I've had a semi good round going over there, I wind up getting frustrated around the 14th hole or so. I have some anger issues in my game to deal with, and besides, the course is growing on me. It's the most scenic (possible exceptions- Harbin & Mt. Airy) and challenging course in the area. My game needs a challenge.
Another reason you may find a lack of volunteers is the simple fact that there are so many courses available in the area which haven't required volunteerism to keep up. Given the choice between setting aside a day for work with a round after, versus simply pulling out the plastic for an hour and a half at another course which is maintained by a parks department, I think many people just decide to play and move on to the rest of the day's activities.
Work days are understandably scheduled for weekends. These are the only days any golfer would be available to volunteer. Speaking for myself again, Saturday's my errand day, and Sunday almost always has something going on.
Once again, just my two cents. I'm nowhere near the volunteer I need to be. For 5 1/2 years, I worked overtime every weekend. With the new job I'm just now learning to readjust to having weekends back. Dunno, maybe if Idlewild was in my backyard, I'd learn to like it more. I love what you've done with the place. The park has allowed you much free rein. Despite my personal feelings, I always mention Idlewild to anyone who asks about Cincinnati area courses. I think we need to erect a statue in your honor by the first tee. Do you have your own parking space yet?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 9:12:01 AM

Russ, I'll try to reply to your comments the best I can.
The beauty of Idlewild is that it will teach you patience. If you're playing well you have to stay focused in order to finish well. If you start out bad there are plenty of holes to be able to make a comeback. I played with Matt once and he got a 10 on #6 and he came back and beat me by a couple. Just never say die at Idlewild.

Idlewild is unique. There are things out there that you won't see anywhere else in the country. Adopt a hole has been done at other places I beleive but not quite as successfully. Maintenaince is park responsibility but adding personal touches is why adopt a hole works. If someone commits to adopt a hole my job is to make sure some work is done on their hole other wise they are getting credit for work they don't do. I schedule work days for that reason. It lets them know I'm out there if they need tools or some help.
The other courses in the area don't have the potential that Idlewild has. There is only so much you can do on those courses.

If you(everyone) want to contribute pick up one peice of trash everytime you play a round of disc golf. Just one. If everyone does that it will go a long way to clean up the courses in the area. Especially Mt. Airy.
I understand when disc golfers don't come out to help on scheduled work days but if you want to help and you post it on the website than follow up on it. Stay true to your word. 2 or three hours a year isn't going to kill or screw up your game. It's a good feeling knowing you've contributed to the advancement of disc golf in some way. Going to club meeting doesn't count.
Dragon
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 5:27:52 PM

Quote:
Originally written by Dragon on 3/4/2005 4:18 PM

If it isn't raining tomorrow (5th) I'll be at Idlewild to do what ever needs to be done.

Lets update that to the 12th. If nothing is scheduled, I'll dig stumps out.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:14:32 AM

Don (aka: Dragon) and Alan Clore were out working at Idlewild today. Don dug out the mother of all stumps on hole 10 and I think Alan cleaned up some of the brush around hole 5's pin. They were still working when i left to watch the UK game. It looks like Fred (and Mike?) have started putting up the new bridge for hole 9. Fred, any chance we could put a bridge like that on 14? If there was a way to move the old bridge that was down by hole 2 before you installed the new one, we might use that one somewhere too...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:17:45 PM

Has anybody seen Nicky's wall on #15. It's looking pretty good.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 3:38:08 PM

That's Nick's, eh? Pretty good work.
Dragon
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:11:33 PM

I seen the wall on hole 15 today, It is shaping up real nice. Any idea for 16?
bkaplan10
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:27:48 PM

Anyone going to be down at Idlewild on Sunday?
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:55:23 PM

http://www.kypost.com/2005/03/18/bear031805.html

Bear remains on the lam

By Stephenie Steitzer
Post staff reporter

Kentucky wildlife agents are hoping doughnuts and other sweets will be the key to capturing and relocating a black bear spotted Wednesday in a field off U.S. 42 in Union.
Officers baited a trap with such goodies Thursday, but this morning the bear was still at large.

It could take several nights to snare the animal, said Jonathan Day, big game coordinator for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

Agents from the agency were at a meeting in Louisville Wednesday and could not respond immediately when Boone County sheriff's deputies reported the sighting. By the time those officers got to Boone County, the bear had disappeared.

Day said he believes the bear is the same one that was hit by a car and spotted several times in Boone County in June.

"I think it's the same bear," he said. "I may be wrong."

Fish and Wildlife agents want to catch the bear because it probably isn't safe in such a heavily populated area.

"Ordinarily we're usually happy to let bears be -- but I think there's a lot of risks up there for this bear," he said.

Day said he was concerned about someone trying to shoot the bear. He also feared it could get hit by another car with so many busy roads in the county.

On Thursday afternoon, field agents got permission from a landowner and set a trap near where the bear was spotted Wednesday.

Day said the trap is a giant piece of pipe, like the ones manufactured for drainage under roads, that is closed off on one end and has a trap door on the other.

A bag of sweet smelling goodies was hung in the back of the trap. When the bear grabs it, the trap door will close.

"It's a very safe way and what it allows us to do is pick up the entire thing," he said.

If the bear is captured, it will be released in a more remote area, probably in the mountains of southeastern Kentucky.

Around the time a black bear was spotted last year in Boone County, officials were dealing with one in Henry County, near Frankfort.

Day said it took just one night for agents to catch that bear.

"A lot of times if a bear has never been caught before, they don't recognize the trap as something they don't want to be in," he said.

Fish and Wildlife agents canvassed neighborhoods Thursday near where the bear was seen Wednesday to let residents know how to deal with the situation.

Most importantly, Day said people should not feed the bear.

They also should not put trash out to the curb until morning and should not leave pet food outside.

He said bears aren't usually a threat to cats or dogs, but pet owners should bring their animals inside at night just in case.

"Black bears really just prefer to be left alone," he said.

Union resident Anna Hall, who spotted the bear Wednesday afternoon in a neighboring field, said she hasn't seen it since.

The bear hung around for about 2½ hours and then disappeared, she said.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:43:44 PM

Has Hans been playing golf shirtless, again?
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:17:15 PM

that kind of humor is almost unbearable Pete ...
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 5:59:47 AM

He has been looking a little grizzly lately.

Rob, surprised you didn't say "Go Cubs!"

hmm... "School of Business at UC" would be abbreviated SBUC or Cubs backwards...
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:37:10 AM

Paul, i think that bear has been in hiding ever since UK beat UC. :()
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:05:29 AM

Fred, I started tearing out the bug infested deteriorating corkboard from the kiosk. Can you get me paint from the Parks dept and maybe a little lumber to make a small roof to deter the rain? I haven't decided if it would be better to leave the background as wood instead of adding new corkboard, but if i do I want to paint it. The outside needs paint too...
Concerned
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 1:32:36 PM

Concerned here! RobJ the ideas for the cork board and paint should be applauded. I vote for wood over corky stuff. Try for black paint or even light tan. I have to run changing oil in the mowers. Get back to me on improvements on the courses or any chubby furry furocious sightings. As aslways "Let those sweet babies soar"....I'm out!
zippy
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:09:14 PM

WOW, the Administrator cut down Concerned's post. First Eagledog was kicked off, now this. The fun must be ending.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:07:45 PM

Admin knows what he is doing.  He wouldn't have cut Concerned if he didn't need to.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 12:37:41 AM

Quote:
Originally written by Concerned on 3/23/2005 3:32 PM

I vote for wood over corky stuff. Try for black paint or even light tan. I have to run changing oil in the mowers. Get back to me on improvements on the courses or any chubby furry furocious sightings. As aslways "Let those sweet babies soar"....I'm out!

Hi Concerned. I always appreciate your words "let those sweet babies soar" -- for me, watching a disc soar is sort of like being in church (except i don't feel out of place like i would in a church) :) Sorry if i over-reacted to your 'fear-the-bear' writings -- as you can see: i too can ramble...

I talked with Fred and he agrees with you and i that the cork should go. Most of it tore right out but a square foot here and there was really glued down unlike other places that seemd to have no glue at all. After some scraping I got it all out and the kiosk looks much better. I like the idea of black paint for the background behind the flyers and information, but brown paint will have to do as that is what the park shall furnish. Don't know when the paint will become available but I should get r done within a week or two.

The course is looking better all the time -- she should be pretty photogenic when the green leaves Spring out and Fred gives Paul the 'go-ahead' to post some new pic.s on the Idlewild "Course" page.

Even though I've donated quite a few discs trying to clear the pond on my second shot for the long pin placement on hole 2 -- I really love the challenge that hole design now represents (although the short pin placement is no picnic :) ) Have you lost any discs in that lake/pond?

PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 6:36:56 AM

Not me. I appreciate that Rob does exercise his privileges in keeping the msg board current & cleaned up.
discndat
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 6:53:55 AM

I really think that's taking the privileges a bit far. I don't recall anything really hateful about that post, but mabybe I missed them. I understand that certain things must be kept off the board but I dont' think it should be that subjective. Maybe some people need to sit down and discuss specific criteria to "delete" a post or parts of. We might discourage some people from using the board. It doesn't all have to be what we want to hear. It is a discussion board and you are always going to get some stuff that you'd rather not read, but go on to the next post or thread. If it's not really hurting anyone..... well, now I'm rambling. Just my immediate thoughts on it.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 10:42:11 AM

Quote:
Originally written by discndat on 3/25/2005 8:53 AM

I really think that's taking the privileges a bit far.

Dan, thanks for agreeing with my earlier admission that i may have gone too far in editing Concerned's post. When Paul asked me to be an admin., he did so to help delete abusive posts when they crop up. I was cleaning up eagledog's (or is it eagleboy?) latest adolescent drivel, and perhaps got a bit carried away in cleaning up this thread. If we want to ramble -- (i'm guilty of it too) -- let's try to do it in the miscellaneous thread area and not on a course thread area. Fred has also asked me to clean-up some of the non course-related posts here before.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 11:11:57 AM

Then you need to delete Paul's original post about the bear and all that followed it.  Down with censorship!