Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Firebird
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:51:41 PM

"the little circle garden of ob on hole 3 is silly". With disparaging remarks like that, I can't help but; be put off with this detracting remark, especilly since the person who made this garden put their personal touch to it. When I read your post, it reads to me like this "who ever made this little circle garden of ob is silly.
agentdozzer
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:10:36 PM

Are there baskets for both the longs and the shorts on the new placements?
woottebs
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:45:59 PM

Mike-
"you're" is the contraction of "you are". "your" is possesive, fred had it right. but i still don't understand why its called that.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:07:23 PM

woottebs wrote:
Mike- "you're" is the contraction of "you are". "your" is possesive, fred had it right. but i still don't understand why its called that.

Brandon, he edited his post to say your instead of you're.  It was you're before.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:56:32 PM

Sweetriver wrote:
something I've been thinking about lately, the little circle garden of ob on hole 3 is silly. If a disc golf course is on a poor piece of land and needs to be made artificially harder, then thats one thing. WHen you have all the land, trees, and natural hazards that idlewild does, there is no reason to put that ob there. Whoever has adopted hole 3 this year, maybe you could try to nudge fred in that direction. I'm not saying this because I throw my frisbees in there, I'm saying it because that isn't congruent with the rest of the course. If the hole is too easy, move the pin. If you really like that green, then maybe the hole doesn't need to be so hard.

if you know Idlewild, the guy who adopts hole 3 is always one and the same: Fred Salaz (el Hombre).  protecting the flowers by making that circle OB makes perfect sense to me.  This is a gold level course designed for the 1000 rated disc golfer.  for a non-1000 rated player, getting penalized for landing in OB may feel unfair -- so you have at least three options:

1. skip hole 3
2. don't play it as OB when you are out there for casual golf
3. lay up on your approach rather than going for the green (you still can get a putt)
perica
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:42:57 PM

protecting the flowers is fine, i think its the location of the flowers that is questionable.
if i wanted to put in flowers though, it would be flowering vines that wouldn't need protection and would just add to the already impressive course aesthetics.
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:03:50 PM

Mark...your avatar is just too funny.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:04:59 PM

perica wrote:
protecting the flowers is fine, i think its the location of the flowers that is questionable. if i wanted to put in flowers though, it would be flowering vines that wouldn't need protection and would just add to the already impressive course aesthetics.

there was a wedding that took place there and the flowers were the perfect accent.  the designer decided to leave them there since they beautify his hole, and i think he then added the OB sign.  think of it as a sandtrap.  when Stan McDaniel played the course he liked everything.  (if i remember right, it was his first round there and he shot a 68 or something...)  sick 
Fred, Bob or Kevin -- was that just before the 2007 USDGC? (memory is the first thing to go)
perica
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:22:34 PM

as new out of bounds areas and new mandos are added, does every course record need a new * to distinguish it from any other records that may have been put up with different combinations of hazards?
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:10:19 PM

Mark,
That o.b. area you refer to is a grave site for some unlucky golfer...
...just kidding. There is a dog buried there.
Firebird
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:02:54 PM

Fred, I have those 12"x8" flat pcs. of metal for the railroad ties. I called your cell last week to find out where you wanted them delivered to but, you didn't call me back.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 4:52:00 PM

Played the course for the first time today, it's Amazing! I cannot believe how long and challenging it is. Well worth the drive from mason.

On a side note I passed several groups who were lost trying to find tee pads so i reccomend to all noob's bring a map like i did. I felt like a park ranger today and I could barely find my way around.
Brad_H
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:14:38 PM

Once you play it a couple more times, you won't get lost anymore. And play it more times you will. That course becomes an addiction and you're all like, "Man, I can't wait to go get pwned by Idlewild again"
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:38:26 AM

I know Idlewild is looking rough and the grass is real high in spots right now.
I had to go to go to Louisiana for a week and the grass didn't stop growing while I was gone. Weather permitting I am back to work mowing and will have it in back in shape soon.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:32:43 AM

Its terrible to see that some people make family a priority over disc golf. Here Kevin is off doing whatever instead of sitting on his mower and making Idlewild pretty. Shame on you :)
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:47:44 AM

Welcome back Kevin. One thing I noticed while you were gone. Boone County had 8 guys at Boone Woods on Friday cutting the grass on the course...weed eating along the creek....trimming around the tee pads....and there you are cutting most of Idlewild by yourself. They all had new-ish top of the line equipment....just food for thought when they won't give you a decent mower to use.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:09:34 PM

Was looking through the Discraft website and reading favorite courses listings under team players.
Many had Idlewild listed, Mark Ellis had one of my favorite Descriptions of the course:

"A tough, exacting, technical and power course filled with tight tunnels and omnipresent Out-of-Bounds. So long as you don't miss any drives or putts you will be all right."
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:12:41 PM

Btw, can anyone out there donate floor space to crash on and access to a morning shower for the Disc N Dat weekend?
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 4:11:28 PM

2 & 13 long are now cut and open for business.
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:56:30 PM

yea....both 2 and 13 were looking a little shaggy all week...thanks Kevin.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 5:23:56 PM

All the grass seed that we planted this spring is coming in soooooo good. When we moved the baskets down on 5&6 this winter...it kept all the traffic off that area of dirt and now the grass is thick and lush. I just wanted to lay down and roll around in it...half kidding. We probably need to go back with some grass seed that survives good in the heat and fill in the few spots where you can still see dirt.

I'm thinking of going out Monday and spreading some more gravel down the walking trails to hit a few spots that still get muddy. If anyone wants to help out just give me a yell. The course is looking great for the Disc N Dat Bluegrass Open.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:11:00 PM

Idlewild is the tightest it has been in 2 years. So green and pretty but a little less forgiving.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:43:07 AM

How about some $5 random draw doubles today at noon at Idlewild?
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:32:41 PM

If anyone knows who pulled down the branch that was hanging low in front of hole #2's short basket on days prior to Bluegrass Open, please let me know who it was or proceed to punch them in the throat.
I'm not one that agrees with all the OB out at Idlewild, but as one that works on that course I am always asking for feedback on stuff that needs to be cut or cleaned to make it play fair.
Yes, those branches block some shots to the short basket, however it makes a golfer either make/shape a shot or be penalized for an errant shot.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:21:15 PM

Dang, that's a drag.
From my experience it's almost always a random hacker who's pi$$ed because he hit the tree, as if it was the tree's fault.