Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:25:38 PM

Course looked stellar -- amazing transformation of hole 2's upslope. I had no bare mud landmark on my airshot and thought I was worse off than I was because I did not recognize the grassy terrain from the tee :-) The Queen Anne's Lace that now grows further into the hole and squeezes the left side of the fairway along the running path helps keep shot-shaping a must in the absence of the trees in the pond. Beautiful hole! Kevin Idlewild will miss you when you move to Columbus!
Bryan
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 4:38:54 PM

This comment is with regard to the arguement over how the course should be played for certain tournaments compared to the design intent. The course has been changing and evolving each year to which course records mean nothing regardless of the format. Here is my 2 cents worth.

* have an Idlewild Silver and Idlewild Gold rating
- Silver (IdleMild as some have called it, relaxed OB, no drop zones - use PDGA OB perpendicular rule)
- Gold (All OBs and drop zones as designed)

Idlewild is a great course. There has been a great deal of hard work put into that course. I don't think that it is an insult to the design intent or designer(s) by running a mixed tournament (pros & ams) by relaxing the OBs and such to improve speed of play.
Madmike
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 11:02:21 PM

Grant and I will be teeing off around 11ish in the morning come up and throw with us give me a call of just show up
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:38:47 PM

FYI, I changed the pin placements to the short positions on #5,6,8,and 10 due to the muddy conditions of late. I will change #1 and #3 when I get the chance.
pottsas
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 10:47:02 AM

I bought a brand new disc yesterday (Misprint EliteZ Crush Purple), lost it into the water on hole 2. LOL I'm not even sure if I liked the disc yet, it was my first disc craft. I was under the impression disc craft floated. Maybe it's another brand that floats. Either way, I really enjoyed playing this course. I really wish it was closer to home.
sexylemming
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 12:21:47 PM

Most Lightnings float
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:30:53 PM

Innova dragons float , the new Hydra as well. Just cause it has "craft" in the name doesn't mean it will float .LOL
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 12:24:38 PM

I need to know if current hole adoptees are still interested in actively helping out at Idlewild. With Kevin gone we need to step it up a bit to help keep the course clean and playable until a replacement is found. Let me know either way. If you decide not to I understand and appreciate your contribution to "Idelwild". You can either post here, pm me or email at salazf@fuse.net

Look for a tougher "doubles only" lay out for the Ky States at Idlewild this year. Bob and I are working details out. You don't want to miss this one. More on that later.

laws
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:36:02 AM

Rules Question: Playing strict ob rules, Hole 11 island green. Disc hits above concrete cores rolls down and comes to rest angled one end on dirt behind core other end up over top of concrete core, in/ out?? So it broke the vertical plane of the back top of the core. Hope that makes so sense, we had a little debate about that one the other day.
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:19:38 PM

Usually the cores are considered out of bounds. So in that situation the disc still would have been OB. If the disc had been resting on the cores with some of it sticking inside the cores then it would have been in bounds.
Steveh
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 8:22:43 AM

Was at idlewild yesterday and noticed that hole 13's tee sign plexiglass cover was broken off. Don't know if anyone else has seen it but I would hate to see the new tee signs get tore up.
perica
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:50:22 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Look for a tougher "doubles only" lay out for the Ky States at Idlewild this year. Bob and I are working details out. You don't want to miss this one. More on that later.

So ... any word on this new tougher layout?
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 9:32:19 PM

Mark, your profile pic is vulger....crude....and just absolutely disgusting...........I love it!!!!!
perica
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 11:09:16 PM

Thank you, Drew.

Now back to the discussion at hand ... Is the course going to have any changes to it for doubles? Fred, Bob, Lee?
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:36:19 AM

Yea..it will be tougher...I personally don't know what it will be....but will be out there Thursday and Friday to help out Fred and Bob....just been working a lot this past few weeks...Overtime City.
Steveh
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:20:08 PM

Does anyone have the dates in which idlewild will be closed this year?. I know it usually does close and just wondering when.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Valet
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 9:11:40 PM

I think I'm going to try Idlewild tomorrow morning. I've only been playing a few weeks and play a lot at Lincoln Ridge. I don't carry a driver w/ me for a couple reasons. No. 1, my driver is a Dragon and it typically just tails way left on me. No. 2, I don't have a bag and it loses out to the Buzzz, Roc, Kite, and Aero (my hand is only so big). Anyway, when I look at the layout of Idle, it looks like lots of dogs right. Not an easy shot for a beginner righty. Any suggestions before I head out tomorrow? (besides not go and get in your way)
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2009 10:12:45 PM

The only real dog leg right is hole 10 and most people don't try to turn the corner from the tee anyway. The course map is a little deceiving in that it isn't drawn to scale, so some of the holes that look like dogleg rights are a little farther or don't turn as sharp as it might look. Just focus on keeping your Buzzz or Roc in the fairway. You won't miss your driver at Idlewild on too many holes. Idlewild isn't designed to be beginner friendly, so don't get discouraged if you pinball trees.  Just have fun.
nienaber
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:34:34 PM

a suggestion for idlewild should been to go play boone
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:46:47 PM

New Idlewild video from the 2009 KY States check it out

www.thenatidiscgolf.com/idlewild.html

J-son
The Nati Disc Golf
Firebird
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:44:17 PM

Today is the first time I've viewed the Idlewild video and, I was very impressed. I wish the video ran slower to afford me more time to admire it more here from afar. I hope one day to have the favor to watch a Worlds Championship at Idlewild.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:09:43 PM

are the baskets back in yet?
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 9:19:12 AM

Yes, i was there last night and they were in the ground.
KeithFischer
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 9:52:07 AM

Is there still a lot of snow on the ground at Idlewild? I drove by Mt. Airy yesterday and was shocked to see how much snow is still on the ground.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 2:29:14 PM

Yes, i was there to retrieve three of my buddies lost discs, and we still had trouble finding them in the snow. In the woods it still has areas of about 2-3 inches. And out in the open its very sporatic.
I wouldnt hesitate to play in it though if your thinking about playing! Its not a terrible walk...