Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
shex44
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2010 12:48:04 PM

Played there yesterday. It kicked my butt, even more than normal. I would avoid it for a few more days. Up an d down those hills covered in snow wears you out.
agentdozzer
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:44:05 PM

I have a question about the ob on 16 From the pad I was in the creek, right of the short basket. Should I have played from drop zone or went to last place it was in bounds? I thought the drop zone was only for the mando and played from last place in bounds.
T_Vincent
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:56:25 PM

You are correct. Last place inbounds.
discndat
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 3:20:37 PM

Just a reminder: Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge will be closed for the Bluegrass Open Tournament Saturday 6/5  and Sunday 6/6 till around 6 pm. Good chance to check out some other of our great courses in the area. Good time to come out and check out some good players though and see if you could hang.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 6:53:40 PM

Idlewild received some serious damage in the last rain fall wednesday. Several bridges were washed away. I will post pictures later.
BasketcasE
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 9:48:01 PM

Is the course playable?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:41:47 AM

Yes the course is playable. I will move #11's basket to the original position until we move the bridge back, it's about 50 yards down the creek. The big bridge(third bridge from tee) on #16 is laying on the green for the short pin placement. All bridges that weren't secured have moved down stream. If anyone is interested in helping sometime this week, shoot me an email at salazf@fuse.net. I will meet with the parks to see when they can help out as well. We will need some type of motorized vehichle to move those big bridges back.

For some reason I am unable to post pictures.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:15:30 AM

I am a bit overwhelmed the next two weeks or so to be able to come out but I can suggest that when you rebuild the cores you do it the same way you do rock walls with mortar. Bridges can be done with posts inbeded in concrete @ 24"-36" deep. Due to the large amounts of rainfall we get and the fact that a lot of runoff drains down all the hills to the creeks I would consider larger timbers for any bridges. 4x4's are cheaper but I feel they don't have the strength required for all that water. I have some spare scraps of 6x6 and 8x8's but just a few. That could save ya a bit if ya want them.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:57:04 AM

Dave(president of the gcfda)and the "old guard" before the bgo I bought some mulch for hole #11 at Idlewild, because I, as the course pro thought that it would improve the look of the hole for the tournament and would keep the hole dry because of the rains we have been pounded by recently. I know it was short notice and once again I didn't follow protocol but unfortunately I din't think about having to call you to get approval but thought it wouldn't be a problem. I even faxed the receipts to Dan, the vice president and td thinking that if it made the course look better that it would get approved. It was only $70.00. I busted my mower mowing #13's long green and across the creek from the green, #3's green and across the creek from the green, #16 short and long green and the area before #16 long fairway. Blew my weedeater on the rock of #13 in the creek. I spent 2 afternoon's making idlewild looking as good as it could be considering that the park dept couldn't get in and mow because of all the rain.
Needless to say that "the club" voted not to refund the money.
 To me it's all about the aestheics of the course .I want  the best of what we have to offer to all that play our course, especially in a tournament.   My question is why not refund the money I invested to improve the course and the tournament?

Perica: post smart aass remark here:...................................................................................................................................................
Zepledelin
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:45:39 PM

hum,I know fred won't agree and it is just MY opinion. The disc junkies I play with could care less about aesthetics of the course. When we say the course is awesome generally means grass at a decent height and not too muddy. It also means the weather was good. I understand being proud of the course and wanting it at its best. This is a very laid back sport and 99.9% of people that play idlewild love it even when its got 6" of snow on it. Aesthetics? I know being course pro makes the pride thing a little more important but its kinda on you unless approved in advance. If one wants to fix up a hole like someone who chose to adopt a hole. I wouldn't spend any money that I wasn't prepared to "give",aesthetics are an great but this is I'm sure because of the extremely tiny budget that goes for our courses. If all course pros spent 70 each it would break the bank. No offense intended just a common sense approach opinion. I would hate to one day have to pay every time I want to play or to pay for park passes like in ohio. May be where we're headed though.
perica
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:40:08 PM

shocked
nthomas
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 3:16:42 AM

Zepledelin wrote:
hum,I know fred won't agree and it is just MY opinion. The disc junkies I play with could care less about aesthetics of the course. When we say the course is awesome generally means grass at a decent height and not too muddy. It also means the weather was good. I understand being proud of the course and wanting it at its best. This is a very laid back sport and 99.9% of people that play idlewild love it even when its got 6" of snow on it. Aesthetics? I know being course pro makes the pride thing a little more important but its kinda on you unless approved in advance. If one wants to fix up a hole like someone who chose to adopt a hole. I wouldn't spend any money that I wasn't prepared to "give",aesthetics are an great but this is I'm sure because of the extremely tiny budget that goes for our courses. If all course pros spent 70 each it would break the bank. No offense intended just a common sense approach opinion. I would hate to one day have to pay every time I want to play or to pay for park passes like in ohio. May be where we're headed though.

I, couldn't disagree anymore with this. There is a reason that Idlewild is the most favorited, reviewed, etc on sites like Dgcoursereview.com. It's because it is one of a handfull of disc golf courses that people will plan a trip, too, and probably one of the only ones that people will plan a trip around and not have to pay a dime to play. Dunno, like being in Columbus and when I say i'm from Hebron and people are envious of having one of the nicest disc courses in my backyard, or at least knowing about it. Think allot of people take it for granted that we are lucky enough to have a plot of land that is given to us, that is free, and maintained for nothing. (Can't complain about taxes in Boone) Would gladly donate an hour of time to help, and wouldn't mind giving a buck here and there to help maintain and/or upgrade something that I use on a daily and weekly basis for nil. If we settle for safari pitch and putts then honestly this game will stagnate  When i'm around other people I've never talked about my round at Boone Woods, or even Banklick, because honestly they are both nice, but they aren't nationally known like Idlewild. Dunno, if there is an adopt a hole program but would gladly weed eat a ditch during a round, if it helps to preserve and maintain it. Granted i'm not advocating pay for play, etc because i'm already in a way doing that by being a taxpayer, and spending most of my money in Boone County already, but i'm sorry a big reason why Idlewild is so great is the aesthetics, challenge, and the fact that you don't really have to contend with joggers, TDD's, people playing other holes, people having picnics, etc.  Rather it be donations, and/or a tourney I for one would donate, but like I said I get a ton of use out of it and would probably be better money spent that buying the newest 13 speed super driver in my case.   
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 6:17:00 AM

Ive only been to one club meeting so this may be above my head but 70 bucks is not gonna come close to "breaking the bank." I might be wrong but I thought the treasurey report had quite a bit of money in it.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 7:19:53 AM

The Dollar amount has nothing to do with the outcome of the decision. The only thing that has any meaning in this is the rules laid down by the club. In all good intentions what Fred did was good, yet he did not follow the rules that the club and its members voted on in the past. This could have been taken care of with a simple 30 sec. phone call but instead it becomes this big deal because someone couldn't follow a rule that he has repeatably broken time and time again. The club has no problem paying or reimbursing members for things that the courses need, all they ask is that they are notified and get approval first. Its not that damn difficult so the only person to blame is yourself. I thought that the club had also voted to not spend anymore money in Boone county parks due to several issues with their Park dept, etc,etc. Not sure of the details.

Look its very simple, If anyone sees something that they feel warrants the club to take care of financially, Call or contact the club officers or wait till the next meeting to get approval, Club President has the authority to authorize spending of $100 without a club vote. If we did not have this approval process certain people have and will take advantage of this and most if not all club funds will be spent in one place rather than all the courses we have that need it. The Club has spent thousands of dollars for up keeping our courses. If you want to learn more or don't understand how things are going Come to the Meetings.
schick
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 8:11:28 AM

Moses
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:27:58 AM

youre funny mr schick
Moses
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:39:52 AM

I wouldnt mind having to pay to play. Hopefully it would mean that i didn't have to deal with "laid back" Shankers like Zepledelin and "99.9% of people who play idlewild" i do care about aesthetics and i noticed and enjoyed the mulch. Thank you Fred. Maybe i'm just classy guys
nienaber
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 9:47:39 AM

good stuff Brad
Zepledelin
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 1:59:51 PM

wow can't we have a discussion without name calling. You know nothing about my game been playing since banklick was at the old location. Laid back...yes... shanker....I think not.I've seen disc golf come a hell of a long way. Banklick before they moved it would not have been on anyones favorite nowadays. Idlewild not there pioneer park had a terrible course.No one played and noone cared about our courses. Compared to now, night and day. Read adamj the part about pre-approval,people can't just spend money on these coursed without going through the proper procedure unless they're prepared to say bye bye to their money. We are very spoiled in this area everyone needs to appreciate the courses we have. I had no idea 20 years ago that our courses would be so great, everyone needs to realize just how great these courses are and how far we've come. I think with playing back in the day where grass was long, no mulch, rare to have a concrete tee pad,no one playing ,no discs sold in the area had to go to mt airy to get a disc gives me a little different perspective than most that play. I want the course to look as good as possible too but if it doesn't I'm still very happy to be there. A bad day of disc golf on a muddy course in the rain is still way better than my best day at work.
Moses
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 2:30:21 PM

I've only been on the scene for about a year now but i can respect the fact of how far everything has come. but by saying that the sport will never grow to something really big without people taking pride in what it looks like. Thank you Fred, again.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 2:36:47 PM

Fred I don't know all the particulars but I think you should get the $70 back by the next club meeting if you submit receipts. I know most people don't appreciate the work that goes into that course but I had an oppurtunity to play Idlewild before and after the really bad storms. One week it was fine and the next week it looked like a bomb went off there. Huge bridges were swept downstream. I could imagine to move and replace those bridges was monumental. I then had an oppurtunity to play the course again a week later and almost all of the damage from the storm had been addressed. I have to say that if this had happened at City (of Cincinnati) Park this would not be the case. Thanks Fred for taking care of the course. It is appreicated by those of us that play it.
Erik
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 3:18:51 PM

I thought the pre-approval system was implemented to avoid getting hefty bills for many little items over a long period of time. It was still allowable if people wanted to do small improvements to a course. I am not sure why this would have been turned down as it does not seem to be excessive and is only one item.
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 3:42:03 PM

As Adam stated , the officers and members that attended the meeting in Feb.  reimbursed Fred for some past reciepts and voted that all future work/reciepts must be approved before hand (that is for everyone ). Fred was emailed that info as well since he didn't attend the meeting.  Why couldn't the huge mulch pile over by hole 15 be used ?
disc girl 09
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 4:18:36 PM

Moses wrote:
I wouldnt mind having to pay to play. Hopefully it would mean that i didn't have to deal with "laid back" Shankers like Zepledelin and "99.9% of people who play idlewild" i do care about aesthetics and i noticed and enjoyed the mulch. Thank you Fred. Maybe i'm just classy guys
I though classy people knew how to right ( my bad )  write .
Moses
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 4:33:54 PM

well maybe you can proofread your posts telling me i what you "though". I'll send my posts to you so proofread them, and then you can send me your Though's. Thanks