Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
disc girl 09
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 4:57:21 PM

jpaul6
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 5:58:39 PM

I don't know how things are laid out but can the club have a set budget for specific courses? I know there isn't enough money for every course every year but some (Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Mt. Airy, Harbin, etc...) should have some amount of money allocated each year.

Idlewild is the biggest and best course around here and takes the most manpower and money to maintain, so it deserves some special attention, regardless of who the course pro is or whether or not you like them.

Maybe there should be more fundraisers??

JO
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:05:11 AM

I know the procedure for getting refunds for course improvement and made a course pro decision for the sake of the tournament. Calling someone never entered my mind. It's the clubs call and I accept that. To me it's not about the money(47 sierra nevada's) and I don't mind spending my money on something that will be appreciated, not by everyone but by those that stop and smell the roses. Thanks to all for the support. The sad thing was that the mulch was all swept away with the flood. I'm going to try to grow some grass next. Good night.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:48:06 AM

In case you all where wondering I voted to reimburse him. But you all need to keep in mind we have rules for good reasons. No excuses.

Don't like or understand the rules, come to the meetings to voice your opinions.
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:57:34 PM

Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:38:43 PM

Nice work on the repairs guys.
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:45:18 PM

photo on left top is bridge going from 13 long to 14 long tee (that bridge has been replaced but no picture). Bottom left damage to bridge was minimal but it was lay on right side of creek.

Photo in middle is 3rd bridge on #16 resting on 16 short pin. Bottom photo is new bridge sitting higher and secured.

Top right photo is #11 bridge going to green(down stream about 75 yards). Photo on bottom right is new bridge with new planks and properly secured. Basket is in long pin position.

Thanks to Boone County. They are the best.

L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:09:56 PM

The bridges were looking very nice today. There is a tree across the trail from #17 basket to #18 tee about head high that Fred and I will cut Thursday. I'll be at the course most of the day Friday doing some cleaning up of broken limbs and such if anyone wants to come out after about 1pm.
Moses
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:41:19 AM

those look awesome guys
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:48:25 PM

While I'm on here I wanted to thank Dave Marlow for the check I received in the mail for the mulch I put down on #11 before the BGO. It is much appreciated.
Thanks Dave.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 10:01:29 AM

The bridges are great!
Just a heads up that there seems to be a wasp's nest under the bridge going to long #2. As you walk over, they will ambush your ankles. They got me twice.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 1:02:52 PM

That guy that once adopted hole 2 never took care of anything.
shex44
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 4:05:47 PM

As if Idle was not tough enough, they changed a couple of pins lately. Number 3 is in the long position. On the last little penisula, and makes one of the easier holes a little harder. On #4 they legthened the hole to about twice the original length. No longer is it a little anhyzer and a duece or at worst three. Now the pin is across the field over the walking path, and in the middle of a group of trees. This used to be the easy holes before the bear of 5 and 6, no longer. It isn't too hard, but they are consistantly making a very tough course even harder (new pin position of #12). Next they are going to put #9 pin in the woods to the left and give you no easy holes.

I LOVE THIS COURSE
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:57:11 PM

Idlewild has approved an additional 6 holes. The majority will be across the pond after long #2 adding a couple more pond shots to the mix. They should be more open than normal. I will get with Bob Herbert as soon as the snow melts, get them designed, approved and planted. Should be before the Ky state singles on April 23. Aufweiterzen
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:23:06 PM

This is great news any word if Boone county is still going to install a course in Verona.
shex44
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:11:54 AM

Is that for sure? Did you say six? That will be sweet! So current #3 will be #9? Now there will be no reason to play #2 short. I hate playing #2 short. Can't wait to see it.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:11:07 PM

The new holes will probably be letter holes(A,B,C, etc)so that we don't have to change the #s on the original course. Verona is still on the Boone county to do list. Walton will probably go in before Verona. Walton will be a 9 hole rec course and will use the old Boone basket(regalvanized).
rangel
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 8:17:06 AM

Small thread hi-jack. Walton. Fred, that would be the city park next to the high school. Is the high school involved? Kevin tried to get something going on there last year.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 4:17:44 PM

Idlewild has 98 reviews on DGcoursereview.com. Who will be #100? A special prize from the Nati for the 100th person to review the course. Hopefully it will be a positive review. thumbsup
Jay Dub
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 5:13:06 PM

They delete any reviews that look like a homie did it or some one just wants to up the ranking of their favorite course. So who ever does the reviews, make it for real. Read the other good reviews and see how they're done, follow their example. If you create an account, make one post then write a 5 star review and never come back, that will get deleted also. Nice site but they're serious about their reviews.
jpaul6
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 7:29:41 PM

I think the ratings should be in '.1' increments so people that want to can give more accurate reviews. There's so many courses and many are so close in rating that a finer increment system would be much better. I sent that request in at their site but got no response...I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring that up.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 5:28:57 PM

Prize winner is Mreynolds from Lexington for #100 review. What the heck #99(old bassman gets a prize as well). Comment for mreynolds. What can we do to make Idlewild a 5 disc review course for you? We can't do anything about the weather though.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:13:53 AM

I have moved the basket on #3 to the long position till the Ky states singles on April 23. I will be trying to grow grass on the island position(#3) for the bluegrass open. I'm pretty sure the new holes won't be ready by the time the ky states roll along. There is too much clearing to do with downed trees and upgrades from all the flooding on the course and the weather pretty much sucks. I will be concentrating on getting the course cleaned up before installing new holes. They have been approved but waiting for funding. If anyone is interested in helping clean up Idlewild stop by the shop and I'll give you something to do that can be done by one or two people. It would be much appreciated.

THANKS SO MUCH TO WHO EVER HAS BEEN PICKING UP THE TRASH.  I BELEIVE IT WOULD BE ALAN CLORE.  thumbsup
perica
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:43:24 AM

Has there been much progress with the additional holes at Idlewild? I'm sure the ridiculous amount of rain we've had hasn't helped things.
shex44
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:38:46 AM

I haven't seen any progress. I go there at least once a week. I have been looking after the long position of #2. And also, not to take all the credit, but I always pick up all the trash I see there, and any where else I play for that matter. I know that this rant will be going to the people who pick up trash and not the ones who put it there, but seriously why do people do that? Why trash the very place that you use for enjoyment? There are trash cans at almost every hole on almost every course. Sorry, but I have been fuming about that for a while now.