Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
discndat
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 2:17:59 PM

You're right, it ain't rocket science and we don't want anyone shooting us off to the moon because we posted on the wrong thread or said something one person didn't like. A friendly reminder about thread drift would suffice and a point in the direction of the right thread. There are plenty of posts that don't get on the right thread for one reason or another.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 4:16:18 PM

Rob, please point me to the misc. thread.  I can't seem to find it. When you're a moderator of a public forum you walk a tight line.  I agree that a couple of the posts were inappropriate, but Concerned's certainly was not.  I'm shocked that a bleeding heart liberal such as yourself would instigate such censorship. :D  Next time you go to delete or change a post count to ten then ask yourself if it really needs censored.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 5:47:28 PM

Quote:
Originally written by NEngle on 3/25/2005 6:16 PM Rob, please point me to the misc. thread.  I can't seem to find it.
ouch. you could have just pointed out there isn't one. i guess i was thinking about the "Yak, yak, yak" title thread under "Website" and forgot that is the heading it was under.
Quote:
When you're a moderator of a public forum you walk a tight line. 
I agree. I'd like to point out too that I didn't request to be a moderator, and that it was i who first pointed out I probably crossed the line by censoring Concerned's post. (unless of course i am Concerned -- and then it was my right) :) It's not like Concerned can't re-post what I cut -- hopefully thoguh under a different thread title (such as "Yak, yak, yak"). Also, i actually feel like the line isn't as tight when people post under anonymous id's
Quote:
I agree that a couple of the posts were inappropriate, but Concerned's certainly was not.  I'm shocked that a bleeding heart liberal such as yourself would instigate such censorship. :D  Next time you go to delete or change a post count to ten then ask yourself if it really needs censored.
In case it isn't obvious, that is what I did when I said I had probably crossed the line and when I apologized to Concerned (whoever s/he may be). I too thought of the irony of someone who normally fully backs the liberal-minded Bill of Rights, turning around and censoring mis-information about black bears. Still, Paul and Fred asked me to delete posts in the past, and i was "this close" to deleting Paul's post (mainly because it was cluttering up the Idlewild thread and Fred would like the thread to be about the course he works so hard at.) till I realized Paul's THE freakin administrator and could virtually cut me. :) Anyhow, I realized after i cut the non-Idlewild part of Concerned's post out i might not want to do that -- but it was gone and i no longer had access to it. I wonder what Concerned's take on all this is? By the way Nick, I was at Idlewild today and the wall on 15 is looking awesome!
Rob J
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2005 5:49:07 PM

Quote:
Originally written by boland02 on 3/25/2005 4:05 PM

Although this is a message board, this thread is for Idlewild. The FACT is, there will always be a random post that discriminates, annoys, or offends someone. Rob is the administrator...SO..if he feels like the post is inappropriate, then he has every right to take it off the thread. It's not rocket science people.

Thanks Mike. If Concerned has a problem with it, I'm sure he'll let me know.

Concerned
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 1:04:58 PM

Hello Robj no need for apologies for I am not a believer in hatred or grudge endeavors for the day is grand and course design and repair is upon us. While true yes it is I must disagree with your new found knowledge and teachings on the topic of said American Black Bear. Grizzlies are most dominant and tearing nature does torment the woodlands of many a mountain range woah so mean. I would like to challenge you young Robj to approach even a smaller Black Bear with intentions of petting the creature on the head or upper thorax and offer the words "there, there little fella". I would indeed be surprised if you are not soom after eaten by his mighty jasws o danger. Yes, your new dwelling will be Black Bear Belly Avenue. Concerned here! The weather is ever so horrid as to slow repair efforts and courses abound. I will drop off a new list of ideas this weekend around the note areas. Get back to me Robj and or Fredwin Salsa! I have to run getting batteries for the garage door opener. As always "Let those sweet babies soar"....I'm out!
NEngle
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 4:31:13 PM

Yeah!  You tell 'em Concerned.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 6:51:47 PM

Hello Concerned and thanks for letting bygones be bygones. Are you Jonathan Heath? Black bears will avoid humans unless forced into a confrontation as humans are far more dangerous to bears than bears are to humans. Native American Indians lived with Mountain Lions, Bears, Wolves, and other predators for thousands of years before Europeans invaded and started a war against Nature. Rob here! :) I understand petting bears is like throwing your flippiest disc into a headwind -- likely to be a painful experience. The more we learn about our four-legged compadres, the more we will know how to live with them. Unfortunately we are conditioned to see Nature as an other -- rather than as that of which we are one part. If you want to continue this discussion, let's move it to the Yak, yak, yak thread.

I went to Idlewild today and it was dark before I could check how the kiosk held up in the rain. I did see that the drainage ditch Fred dug along 13's tee successfully is diverting water away from the destructive path it used to take -- under the bench and under the teepad and is now flowing harmlessly to the left side. Eventually it does spill into the fairway ... gravel might be a good fix :)

I dug a drainage ditch behind 13's new pin and it was diverting many gallons of water away from the basket. It looks like the heavy rains had been flooding and eroding the pin area so hopefully that is now solved.

The bridge between 13 (long pin) and 14 (long tee) washed away. I found the frame but all the planks were devoured by the hungry flooded stream. Looks like water got so high it went all the way over the bridge on 13's side. Hopefully Fred will help me lay posts for a new one as I'll need his help. I have a good place in mind that is high enough to avoid a high rising creek.

I also did a little clearing of some of the smaller trees behind 14's basket to make that area more of a green. There are still a lot of trees in the way -- I just took out the smaller stuff so we can mow back there and so if you go long you'll find your disc but still be left with an obstructed putt. I'm starting to warm up to the possibility of moving the basket to its longer location -- Half way up the path toward 15's tee. Not necessarily though ... what do you say Fred?

Have you done any coursework lately Concerned? If you have any ideas for hole 14 at Idlewild -- I'm all ears.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:14:45 AM

Rob,

Thanks for all your hard work!
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:20:09 AM

Rob, I'll be down that way on Thursday.  If it's not raining in the morning, we can do some work.  I'll print your map & stuff.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:44:13 PM

11 am ish. 
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 6:51:32 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone that sent a card and emailed about the loss of my mom last week. It was very thoughtful of you and I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Fred
Dragon
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 3:38:26 PM

For whom it may concern, Tomorrow, I'm going to Idlewild to construct a bridge or two on hole eleven. I'll bring some extra digging tools, if anyone needs to work on their project.
Dragon
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:33:13 PM

Rob, I plane on getting down there between 9 or 10am. First I have to stop at Home Depot for some supplies. I beleive Paul is comming down to do some work on his hole.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:13:31 AM

Don built two new bridges on 11 today for the area of the creek past and to the left of the 'Y' tree. Paul and I helped dig out the channel the creek takes on 11 when the volume of water is too high for the drainage pipe to handle. We also cleared a dam just past 11's pin made by grapevines, debris, and washed out former bridges. That should keep the mosquitos down (since the water is again flowing) and help the bridges by keeping the water levels down a bit when it floods. I also painted the kiosk 'bark brown' today, and hung some new 'next tee' signs to better flag where 17's teepad is.
PaulDmt
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:17:21 AM

Also: cleared some brush from the walk from 16 to 17 so you might see #17 tee from farther away and removed some honeysuckle from around #6 tee.
Znash
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 10:31:11 AM

Thanks for all the hard work Paul, Don, Rob, Nick, Fred, and all the other adopt-a-hole particaments that keep Idlewild one of the best courses in this area.
zippy
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 3:02:09 PM

I went out to Idlewild this weekend. The course is in MUCH better shape than it was the last time I played. You guys that work on it deserve a round of beers for your effort. My only question is do you guys spend your own money on improvements? If you do, you all deserve three rounds of beers.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:02:58 AM

Will anyone be out at Idlewild working this weekend?  I plan on being there on Saturday to clear some thorns and honeysuckle on 10.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:13:45 AM

Zippy, the club is very good about reimbursing us for money we spend on the course. I used to spend my own money but now I try to ask Boone county first before we start any projects to see if they can provide materials.
Brian, I will be in Bowling Green but have tools if you need them this weekend. Rob and Don might be around if you want to trade labor with them. In other words if they help you on your hole you recipricate and help them on their projects.
Does anyone have my spud bar. I seem to have misplaced it. Can you beleive that? Me misplacing something.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:44:09 AM

Hey Fred,

I could use one of those long-handled loppers to cut through the honeysuckle.  Also, if you have a blade-sharpening tool, I could use that for my saw.  Thanks!

Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:07:52 AM

How about just using a bow saw with a new blade. I have one of those you can use.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:10:14 AM

That would be fine.  I don't think I'll be able to get down that way until Saturday though, so, how can am I going to get the saw from you?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:10:34 AM

Just a reminder to all adopt a holeees. When you cut down honeysuckle or any bush, cut it at ground level or dig the stump out so no one trips on the stumps and the honey suckle doesn't grow back.
Thanks
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 10:26:30 AM

Also, so a mower can get over it too, and please move the stuff you cut at least 25 feet away from the fairways.

Brian, i could probably deliver Fred's bow saw to you on Saturday.

If anyone has a chain saw and can cut the big tree that fell across 14's (short) fairway into about 5 sections -- i'll move them. I did saw off the branches so it isn't too much in the way.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:42:46 AM

Rob, that'll work.  I am not sure what time I will be down there.  What time are you planning on being there?  Also, if you have any extra shovels to dig out honeysuckle stumps that would be great.