Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
Daniel
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:10:07 PM

Anyone going to be up for a round on Saturday? I haven't played there in about a year and wanted to check it out. I'm not sure what time I'll be up there, but I'm coming up from Louisville, so it'll probably be 10 or later...

Daniel
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:14:09 AM

Rob,  I'll have to let you know.  I'm planning on bringing my brother down to the course, as he has yet to play Idlewild.  I have to pick him up in Oxford and he can be a pain to get out of bed.  :-)  I'll let you know my plans soon.  I do plan to be there before noon on Saturday, hopefully, by 11am. 
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:20:58 PM

Hey Rob, ever since I (Chris) talked to you at Idlewild last week on fourteens tee I've been driving around with my chainsaw in my trunk. I was down at the course today and stopped to cut up the trees that fell down. My chain was very dull and I didn't have my spare chain or my file in my toolbox. The only thing I got cut was the log in front of the tee. I think that I might be at Idlewild on Sunday morning and I can bring my saw with a sharp chain. I would like to adopt a hole at Idlewild if I could but my email to Fred came back as undeliverable. I guess his email address has changed from the one in his user profile.
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:42:57 PM

Thanks Chris, that tree by the tee has been something I've been hoping someone with a chainsaw might cut for me. Fred's email on his profile looks right to me: salazf@fuse.net -- try again, and if it gets returned then email the message to me and I'll forward it to him.

thanks for your help and interest in pitching in

Joe Rott
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 11:03:09 AM

Rob, what are you doing working at Idlewild this weekend and not playing in Bowling Green!?! :wow You should have signed up for the masters division. Man, I can't believe you haven't moved up yet. :wow
Concerned
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:24:08 PM

Yes indeed the chainsaw should be utilized and is the tool of choice for many tree cutting people as well as those who slice about. I have many saws of said nature with and without engine type devices and that of man power should yeild their mighty blow! I should not mind nor have unjust feelings towards lending metal tools of separation....if the cause so calls for then let it be for us all. Concerned here! RobJ good work and yet much has been done. Poor planning is as to daily lives as the arm pit is to the body. Our balls will burn if not for planning in other areas and not let the game take us by due part. I long for a time to wheel the spinning motion of my disc into the soft bounce oh due mother nature. If not for tree cutting and hedge toppping the screaming pain of anal fissure one must feel. All must take guard and courses will flourish. I must run to gather maps of southern states....as always "Let those sweet babies soar"...I'm out!
bkaplan10
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 12:38:41 PM

ccs,

if you could bring that chainsaw by the course tomorrow (saturday), it would really come in handy cutting out honeysuckle on hole 10.

bkaplan10
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 1:06:17 PM

Rob, I'll be down at Idlewild by 10am or so tomorrow.  Where will you be?  What time will you be there? 

Concerned, it's good to hear from you.  It's been awhile.

Joe Rott
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 3:37:27 PM

Hey, I was out there this morning (first time in months) and the course is really looking good. Unfortunatly I still can't keep it out of the rough.
Rob, on 14's short tee pad, the sign shows the distances, but NOT the pars. I figured par 3 and 5, but maybe someone should slip a sharpie in there and mark it.
Nick, the stones in the fairway marking distance from tee pad are cool. The only reason I saw some of them was because I was 4' past the 350' mark. Maybe they should be painted bright orange and cement in some reflectors to see them better. That'd be cool.
Good ole Don was hard at work putting in the new long basket placement. Shared some interesting ideas for other projects too.
Number 18' is looking a lot better, but it is still not easy. Some of the hunny suckle on the right of the fairway was very attractive to one of my discs.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:18:18 PM

Chris, thanks for the work you did with your chainsaw on my hole (14) and also for taking out the stumps on 13. Fred, sign this guy up to adopt a hole while you have the chance :)

bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 7:18:14 AM

Rob,

Thanks for the help with the rose bush.  That thing was ridiculous.

bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 8:51:05 AM

Chris,  Would you be able to bring your chainsaw to Idlewild this coming Saturday.  There are some old tree stumps and fresh honeysuckle stumps on 10 that need to be cut down.  Also, there are some dead trees in the same area of 10 that I presume should be cut down (marked with a red dot).  Fred, should those trees come down?

Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 9:57:56 AM

If they are dead or have a red dot go ahead and cut them down.
Rob and I will be out there this afternoon working on finishing #15 so Nick can start painting the wall.
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am getting a lot of positive feedback from everyone at tournaments about Idlewild. Everyone that has played it loves it and everyone that hasn't played it wants to. It couldn't happen without your help. I appreciate it.
I will be building a new bridge and repainting the wall on my hole(#3) the next few weeks. I will also be meeting with the new park director this week, if you need anything for your hole let me know.
Kuhns, the last time I was at Idlewild your bridge was falling apart. Let me know if you will have time to adopt your hole again this year. I have other people interested if you can't find the time. I understand if you can't.
ccs
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 12:07:28 PM

I will have time a couple days this week, but I'm not sure about the weekend yet. The only problem using a chainsaw on stumps is that I can only get so close to the ground because dirt, sand and gravel kills the chain. The only way I could get any lower is with a stump grinder. If the ones I cut are good enough I'll go ahead and keep doing it. When I bought my house a few years ago there was a ton of honeysuckle in the backyard and I used a mattock(sp) to cut the roots in a few spots which made them pretty easy just to pull up.
bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 12:36:00 PM

maybe we'll just dig up the stumps then.  Rob or Fred, will you guys be working at Idlewild on Saturday? 

Fred, I've got your bowsaw. 

ccs
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 3:42:24 PM

I can cut stuff about one inch above the ground with my chainsaw.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 6:55:23 PM

Fred, how about a shed??? :)

Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 7:50:51 PM

Nick, the wall is complete. There is still some mulch to be spread and there is a couple of buckets by the mulch you can use. Other than that it's ready for paint. It looks pretty damn good.
I think they are going to let us use a small utility room once they build the bathrooms for the park. I don't think they would build us a shed just for the disc golf course.

Rob and Alan found the top to the basket of long #2 at Idlewild yesterday. It was in the water. We were thinking an angry fisherman threw it in the water. I'm assuming the basket itself is in there too. I will try to retrieve it tomorrow or sometime this week. Unfortunately it didn't clean up too well. I took it to the car wash and spent $5.00 trying to clean it up but only removed most of the powder coating and boy does it smell. I will check on how much it will cost to galvanize the whole thing once I find the other half.

Don, what are you thinking?
bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 8:29:50 PM

Is the the long #2 basket that disappeared last year?  Or did something happen to #2 between the time I was there yesterday afternoon and today?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 8:33:30 PM

The old basket that was stolen(so we thought) last year.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:10:12 AM

Rob, if you find a blue champ rhyno near the largest dead tree, it's mine!!!  And it's good to hear you found the chains.  Good luck finding the rest.
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:11:14 AM

any luck finding the rest of that basket?
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:19:47 AM

You know, I would, but, I'm scared of what germs I might catch in that nasty water. 
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:26:38 AM

Nick's a brave guy. I'll bet he'll do it :)
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 8:42:03 AM

I'll take that bet.  :dance