Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Idlewild Options
NEngle
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 8:39:09 PM

Thanks Fred.  I worked on it for more than 2 solid hours yesterday, man was it hot!  I can probably get a real good deal on flowers, but they'll take a while to fill in.  I think it looks good as is.  Btw, I'm not so sure about the basket in the hill thing.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 11:05:50 PM

It was just a thought.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:06:47 PM

Boland, get your but down there and check it out your self.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 12:31:03 PM

Mike, not really. Alan has been covering your butt. I would like to see if you could put a board down the middle(under) of the bridge for more support. Thanks.
ccs
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2005 7:09:23 PM

I'm going to be working on 11 now. I was thinking about rebuilding the wall the way it is and making a new bridge. What do you have in mind? I would appreciate any input.
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:30:53 AM

The problem with rebuilding the wall with stones is that without concrete the rocks will just wash away again. We need a solid barrier between the water the soil and it would help if the wall was inbedded (sp) in the floor of the creek. The best way to rebuild would be to divert the creek away from the soil and dig about 12 inches into the creek bed and install the stones with so major overlapping so the stones act like shingles. if water gets flows behind the wall it will just wash away. I have been looking into some cheap materials to rebuild the wall. Railroad ties would be good and we can probably get them for free. If we do the stone wall again we will almost have to use concrete. Chris if you want to brain storm on the idea or get together to work on the wall let me know when you have some free time. I have been meaning to get down there to work but doing the wall with one person is a waste of time. You can do alot more with two or more people. Also do you have a weed wacker (he said wacker) I do not have one anymore. You can reach me at 513-520-1432

John Kuhns
a.k.a BIGBOY
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:02:52 PM

don,

will you be down at Idlewild this weekend?  That area that was cleared of honeysuckle on hole 10 could use another go over with that push weedwacker of yours.  I'll even bring the gasoline this time!  :-)

ccs
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 5:05:49 AM

I'm going to take my trimmer down this morning and clear out some stuff. I dug out some brush and honeysuckle off the right side of the fairway and I wanted to clean the rest of that up. I also wanted to clear things up around the two small bridges so they would be easier to use.
Dragon
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:04:56 PM

Brian, I plan on being there Saturday around 10 or 10:30. If I can fit it into my van, with what is in there now I'll bring it. I'll know for sure Friday at this time, so look for my message.
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 3:22:52 PM

I started on the right side because there was more to do, but I plan on doing the left also. I've got some other ideas for 11 that I need to think through completely. I would like to do something on the left hand side after you cross the bridge. That's kind of a waste area and I would like to move some dirt in there to smooth things out. The only problem is that I don't know what it looks like when the creek is up.
Dragon
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 4:14:17 PM

Brian, "yes" I will have room for the high-wheel trimmer. Will see you at Idlewild tomorrow.
Dragon
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 9:11:14 PM

Rob, I put 8 cinder blocks on short 14 for you. They are right behind the Tee bench, you can't miss them. Also, For anyone who plays in the pro division, who happens to be reading this message and, is planning on playing Idlewild"s course challenge next Saturday; may want to get there earlier than usual and, play 16's new long placement. It is now on the peninsula between 16 and 11, 410 feet from the tee.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 6:33:08 PM

Or better yet, go to the Tuesday Ace fund and play it and / or the Thursday BagTag. 16 long is really not a whole lot different than where it was before -- just a bit longer and a bit more to the left.

Thanks for the cylinder block move Don. I did get a few down to my bridge for some steps, but the ones you moved will let me improve on that.

Thanks also for letting Brian and i use your high-wheel string mower Saturday. I got 13 long's green area cut (it's amazing how fast that area grows). Should be in great shape for the pros during the second round Saturday...

Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 6:41:06 PM

Fred, i've noticed some telephone poles have been dropped off at the edge of the parking lot near hole 15's fairway. Do you know if the Park is doing something with those or if they're for a project on the course ...?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 7:25:38 PM

Rob, I noticed that too. I think the Hankster is dropping those for future use. #5's eroding comes to mind.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 3:05:40 PM

Chris and John, would you guys be interested in building a rock bridge over the creek on your hole. I can try to get a bunch of us out there to help. I think it would be really cool and unique. So, what do you think?
ccs
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2005 8:20:51 PM

I think it's a really good idea and it would look great. I hope that you have expertise in building stone bridges because I wouldn't know where to start.
Concerned
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 7:15:14 AM

Ahh.. i have heard my name summonded and my voice to be opinionated and the request shall be granted. True it must, the poles and rocks shall be gathered for bridge building and dam constructing and other such admiral projects. I too am a fordimal opponent of waverly telephone poles for they use to be trees. I shall bring sharp instruments and cutting tools to hack hack hack away at the large girth of the circular round wood. Concerned here! Freddy, make sure you bring a chainsaw and Philly Cheez as well. All must do there part and coalition is a must. We need several to lift the heavy timbers as one cuts through the pole with the mighty blade. Wheelbarrels shall also help moving boulders from one side to another. Don't forget the Snyders Pretzels...I need the crunch crunch munch during the mission. Get back to me robj! Got to go..need to return a blanky I bought on the internet...As awlays "Let those sweet babies soar"....I'm out.
discndat
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 10:12:29 AM

What'd you say Nick?
Rob J
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 10:48:28 AM

Fred had to leave do to work after hole 10. Bob won with a 67, I shot a 74, and Chuck shot a 77 (from the longs). Chuck liked the course and said he knew it had the potential to become special when he visited in 1998. One funny thing that happened was before we tee'd off on 13 he said he liked the fairway for the short, but thought maybe it should be a little wider for the long (the narrower part to the left of the short pin). Then Bob, Chuck and I all proceeded to hit the gap for nice drives. Chuck said he was glad Fred hadn't been there to witness that :) Then, we all 4'ed 13 long with short putts. He also thought 16 could benefit from the removal of a few more trees to be a spectacular hole.

Chuck tends to evaluate courses with a model that looks at how it plays for all skill levels, and he has a really cool computer program which evaluates holes and then predicts the average score on them and recommends changes based on predicted and actual scores and score dispersions. He said that since our area had so many courses, a course made specificly for top pros made sense.

Bob was able to spend more time with Chuck at Subway than i -- i had to run in order to go into work.

those are some of my impressions of Chuck's impressions -- but to get the scoop ask him :)
discndat
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:15:33 PM

Thanks Rob - that's really good input and it is nice to have someone who designs and evaluates courses to come and give the thumbs up.
discndat
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 1:18:27 PM

Maybe we can get in on the ground floor of this: http://pdga.com/ - kinda good timing, eh?
NEngle
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 2:24:16 PM

Chuck said this was a "pleasure only" visit.  I don't think an evaluation will result from this, but I could be wrong.
discndat
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 8:03:11 PM

No, I don't think this will result in an evaluation. But we should go ahead and do whatever we need to do to get one. I didn't read it all.
NEngle
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 9:09:47 PM

Here's a link to the current world #1  http://www.pdga.com/course/eval/course_eval_infotoptable.php?id=1699 I think we can take 'em, but after reading the detailed evaluation, I think we can improve our chances. Nockamixon got hammered on their tees & signs.  No doubt the tees at Idlewild rock, but updating the signs could improve it's score in a couple of ways.  Idlewild could lose points in both "Current Pin Position Display" & "Tee Signs" because a few holes show pin positions that aren't used (1, 14 & 17 come to mind, and probably more that I'm forgetting). "Scorecards & Dispenser" count for 15% of the basic course elements portion.  Kind of silly, but that should be easy to fix.