frizgolf
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2002 4:40:13 PM

Test: Courses/Local Courses/Mt Airy 9/25/04
zippy
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 9:03:08 AM

The last I remember it's still gone. But, I haven't played since the fall
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2004 8:03:35 AM

Yes, it's still gone. That was the "Claus Tandrup" sponsored hole. It would be great if you could get it back!
zippy
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 9:31:57 AM

Why would anyone steal something stupid like that anyway? It's not like people are going to think you're cool because you have a frisbee golf tee pad marker in your livingroom. People need to get a life.
Dragon
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 2:32:35 PM

If you get a good opportunistic chance, look in his back-yard and see if our basket is there too. You may be able to kill two birds with one stone.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:34:50 AM

Looks as though someone is trying to steal #9 basket. Chris and I were up there last night playing and Hole 9 is being pulled up out of the ground. Pretty loose right now and probably won't be long till someone gets it. I'm going to check the e-mail addresses here and try to e-mail the Parks about it. If you have someone to call, Pete, you might want to do it.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 7:43:34 AM

Well, I e-mailed and then I called the number and was given several other numbers and then only got to leave a message at Mt. Airy. Hopefully somone will get back to me.
zippy
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 11:26:08 AM

someone should install a video camera in the trees for a couple of days so that if it is stolen the SOB's will be caught on tape. The problem is that you'll need an infared camera that will record at night.
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 11:29:49 AM

They would probably steal the camera too.

:goat
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 6:12:42 AM

Good job John.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 9:10:08 PM

Funny thing was, Mt. Airy was packed with casuals and other park guests. Only one person questioned the removal of 9's basket. Cinti PD drove by twice after the basket was in bigboy: 's truck and didn't even stop. It was pretty much in plain view and there was a pile of dirt behind his truck.
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 4:02:49 AM

Our Wednesday night league was there and Dave Marlow brought a temp basket to setup on 6 so we ended up using it on #9. When we were done and Dave was putting the basket away a pack of about 8 teens were asking us about it. We explained that the hole may be gone up to a month and they were pretty upset about it. They asked us if the temp basket is going to be brought out everyday. Nooo, just for our league. They settled down some when we explained "better to be gone a couple weeks vs permanently".
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 12:35:14 PM

Heck, those teens were probably upset because they had been foiled in their attempt to steal the basket!  I'll tell ya, kids these days....  :-)

pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 4:00:51 PM

Everyone frustrated with the situation at Mt. Airy (baskets not being replaced, or for that matter resecured like we've been asking the Parks to do for YEARS to avoid thefts) or at any other course, needs to quit their *****ing to other disc golfers (we're just as frustrated) and put their anger to use. CALL THE PARKS DEPARTMENT AND LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU LOVE PLAYING DISC GOLF AND WANT TO KNOW WHEN THE BASKETS WILL BE REPLACED, OR WHY DON'T DISC GOLF COURSES GET THE ATTENTION THEY NEED. The front page of this website lists the parks contact telephone numbers and emails where possible. PLEASE USE THEM! We can complain to each other til we're blue in the face, but until the parks realize that someone cares (besides the GCFDA club officers, who do call and write (which I'm sure the parks dismiss us a bit as frisbee activists), they won't prioritize maintenance of disc golf courses above tennis courts and playgrounds. You know as well as I do that disc golf courses get a ton more use than playgrounds, basketball courts, and tennis courts, but they don't. The courses are not fully utilized during the Parks Department's regular working hours. They are packed on weekends and after work. If you have the skill to throw a disc and the will to drive to a course, then you should have all the needed skills to PICK UP THE PHONE or EMAIL THE PARKS. If you really want to use some leverage - call/write your elected officials (city council, county commissioners, mayors, etc. Just be sure you know what area of town that course is in. Mt. Airy is in the City of Cincinnati.

I firmly believe if each GCFDA member were to make JUST ONE call a year to a parks dept of their choosing and let them know how much they use their course and enjoy the sport and let them know that the course needs work, we'd have the best maintained courses in America. Come on, DO IT!

For those who don't want to go to the home page:
Cincinnati Parks Department
950 Eden Park Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
(513) 352-4080
http://cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/pages/-4407-/
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 10:37:36 AM

John, I have installed the sleeve so all we need is for you to drill the hole on the pole and install it. Reminder: drill 3/4 inch hole 15 1/2 inches from bottom of pole to center of the hole.
Any chance you can do it on Saturday. Let me know if you can't.
We will also need a lock.

pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 12:42:31 PM

Thanks guys. I sent a very long letter to the Planning/Maintenance Superintendent of the Cincy Parks. I'm hoping for some action.

It would really help if people made phone calls to the parks # 352-4080.
frizgolf
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2004 9:39:29 PM

Played Airy tonight (beat my personal best by three strokes!), but I have some things to report.
Good news: The grass was cut (rollers!), and someone z-stripped 4's basket to the inner chain ring. Works well, but won't last long.
Bad news: 6's temporary wood basket is on the ground, 7's basket is loose (I could've pulled it out myself), and the bench on 10's tee is gone.
Anyone want to build some deer stands and camp out a few nights? ;-)
PaulDmt
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 7:20:18 AM

Dave Marlow was the one who did the temporary fix to #4. When we played leagues Wednesday, #7 was still solid from what I remember. The bench on #10 appears to have been gone for awhile. Why that would disappear is beyond me.
Znash
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 6:51:56 AM

way to go bigboy
How's the ball and chain?
zippy
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 12:37:16 PM

Number four basket bottom has fallen to the ground. Plus, what's the deal with this hole? It seems longer than number two but it's still a par four?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 7:15:47 AM

Getting pretty close to the Pig now and I thought I would ask a couple of questions(Well see if Pete post while on Vacation).

Of course the biggest issue on Mt. Airy is the Baskets. Hole #4's and hole #6's basket. Whats going on with them, are we going to get new ones in, fix # 4 or what? It would be good to know before hand so we can get other baskets ready. If we have to use other baskets should we move them to a different area away from the other baskets which would make obstacles and if so where? That just my first little point in question

Next is trimming, Is it possibly for us to get some done or do it are self's on some of the hole's which need it? Personnaly I think hole #9's center tree needs trimmed, not cut Freddy, and I also think hole #16 needs trimmed upon the turn to make it a fairer gap to hit. I throw shot after shot that make good turns and maybe 1 will get lucky. I just ask to make it a little more defined.

Just some questions I wanted to post, and a meeting should be coming up I believe. Also I will run Friday Night Doubles for the Pig Pete (that is along as you promise not to put me in sucky group on Saturday morning).
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 8:07:03 AM

We can discuss all you have brought up at the meeting next Monday. I will be bringing up for a vote on cutting the tree that is right in the middle of the fairway of #9. Matt, funny that you should mention that the tree needs trimming but not cutting. I assuming that it is even getting in the way of your drives. Better bring your friends to the meeting cuz that tree is coming down, legally of course.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 8:57:14 AM

If it goes down in a vote I say okay, but I just like it because it make me aim more. I have to be more accurate because of that tree, I have no problem if that tree comes down, there is one more birdie chance for me.
discndat
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 9:32:53 AM

I can't be at the meeting Monday (going to the Worlds with my son!) My vote would be to keep the tree. Ok, trim if you must, but keep the tree. It has survived this long and so have we. It makes the hole a good golf hole in my opinion. Opening it up will just make it an easier hole. Do we need an easier hole?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 9:33:29 AM

That is exactly why I don't understand why you won't vote to take it down.(another birdie chance for me)
Plain and simple, it's in the way of a perfect shot. It's the not so perfect shots that get by.
Vote yes to cut it down.