Mt. Airy Options
perica
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:01:27 PM

frizgolf wrote:
Yeah, us too!

crushed baby deer bone gravel!  chainsaw 

AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:30:52 AM

Dear Fred, City Parks do not want us using gravel, I have tryed to talk them into using it many times.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:51:30 PM

Too bad
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:06:21 PM

I went out to Airy yesterday to check it out. I didn't play just through a driver around where I could. Good luck this weekend. I suggest waterproof everything. On a positive note, all the tee pads were dry. Just surrounded by 5-6 feet of mucky mucky on all sides.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:11:38 PM

Yah its pretty muddy. No word back from the Parks yet. My main concern is a broad renovation this year.
I may be able to convince them of gravel usage on some paths like 3's path to 4.
I want to concentrate on fixing a few Tee's first. Im hopeing that all I have to do is point and supervise, atleast, they have told me that all thats needed from me is imput and they will handle the work and materials.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:48:43 PM

Any thoughts on resodding at Mt Airy? This is the best time of year to do it. I would pay for one green if the club doesn't feel like spending any money on it. It's not as expensive as you think.

http://www.turpinfarms.com
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:07:18 PM

bump
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:21:10 AM

Any thoughts on this idea. I'm not going away just cause you're ignoring me.
TyFarina
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:12:46 PM

I agree that resodding works wonders to neglected grassy areas.....but moreover, seed needs thrown down, some drainage put in around 18's green, and for sure the gravel usage.... the little money it would take to do this would go a great deal in future savings in expenses for upkeep.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 6:19:46 AM

lol your pretty funny Fred. Since some of us actually Work for a living and I have been doin 15 hour days. I don't have the time to check these boards several times a day. Thanks for all the ideas and info, I do take everything into consideration. I am trying to brake the habit of "Lets just pay for it" when the Parks are the ones that should handle it. Just be patient please. They should accomplish alot this year. And yes they know what they are doing and I have built and great relationship with the Parks Dept which will really turn Mt. Airy around and hopefully bring it to a higher level. More to come later, I will try to visit here more often.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 10:40:20 AM

Adam, We've been waiting for the parks dept to get it together for years. I think we realize that they have disc golf on their to do list but it must be very far back on the list. We need more people to start emailing or contacting the parks so we can get these things done. Seriously, what have they done in the last 15 years? Not you but the parks. If the club plans on hosting the worlds in a couple of years then we need to start getting the courses ready now not 2 weeks before the worlds like everyone else. Like Pete says "The squeaky wheel gets the bannana" (really he said that).Below is the park directors email address. Everyone should shoot hime one. Larry Parker is his name. Larry.Parker@cincinnati-oh.gov
classic_roc
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 12:17:20 PM

I sent an e-mail. Thanks for the info Fred.

p.s.  I wish you a speedy recovery.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 2:00:59 PM

Thanks for emailing and thanks for the thought. Recovery won't be speedy enough...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 12:06:34 PM

Fred, we have over 2,400 volunteer hours logged on the trails construction
and maintenance todate.
Bill

I just wanted to post on how much the mountain bikers volunteer to improve their trails at Idlewild. They work with the parks dept but don't expect the park dept to do all the work.

My impression from the club is to have the parks dept at Mt Airy do all the work and we just sit and wait for them to get it done. Well, I'm still waiting and waiting. Adam is too busy with his life to do it all. All you guys that play everyday need to take one day and help out. That's what it's going to take.
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 2:07:55 PM

That's the age old question - there's two camps out there.

There's the do-ers, that do what needs to be done. These people believe that disc golf is still a small sport, that is fighting for it's niche and a spot in the minds (and budgets) of park directors. This is a camp of people that believe that their hard work and efforts are an investment in the sport, both in courses, public relations, and for some - karma. Idlewild and Fred is a perfect example of this - hard work, investment in the park ($$$ and time), and a self-sufficient attitude have yielded a wonderful course that's widely held as one of the best in the United States.

There's another camp of people out there also. These people believe in their heart-of-hearts that we will get equal representation in minds and budgets of the park professionals, and that simply being a "squeakier wheel" will get us the results we desire.

My opinion is that because we are such a small sport, with a less-than stellar reputation (deserved or otherwise) of being beer-can droppers, doobie-smokers, and vandals that we need to PROVE we are a worthy cause. We are not a couple hundered 11 year olds on a soccer complex. For the most part, we are all capable, responsible adults that have a shared interest in disc golf. If everyone took just ONE of their usual rounds out and replaced it with some course improvment/clean up efforts 1x a month, we'd have a DRASTICALLY different situation on our hands.

finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2008 10:22:32 PM

Our sports' rep is much better than that, sir(park officials know the vandals aren't disc golfers). But, it is certainly improved by efforts extended by us to improve the facilities. Thank you, Adam and I hope the parks move on this soon.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:37:36 PM

: [quote=finnhawc](park officials know the vandals aren't disc golfers). 
Not so sure about  that John, disc golf is very frustrating when you first start out, hell even 25 years later...dumb
Lingo1976
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:30:53 PM

If someone wants to do something more than pick up trash at a course (like me). How much can I change things, and do I have to contact the parks before I do certain things? Just curious cause I haven't adopted a hole anywhere yet, and I can never do work days at the parks cause I usually work on Saturday.

I confess to "hole-n-one tagging", sorry about the vandalism........................... Now days I just date and sign the disc.

J-son

"You've got to sleep on your toes, when you're out on the streets"

Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 12:56:49 PM

A response about Mt Airy from the park director.

Adam, Fred, Jason

We are in agreement that there is much work to do on the disc golf course at Mt Airy. And we definitely want to host the upcoming tournaments in 2010. However we must come together to develop methods for repairing erosion and other problems on the course that are sustainable and do not negatively impact other park activities. Please get back to me with some dates we can meet on site to look at the course and develop a plan for improvements. Also feel free to invite any else that should attend meeting. This week is very busy so anytime after that is better.

Larry Parker
andersab
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 1:05:16 PM

So why don't Adam, Fred, and Jason work on creating a small group of people (<5) to meet and go over what needs to be done. Then we can get a plan together and host a work day with that list that the parks and you guys come up with?
DOC65
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:01:44 PM

As an out of town visitor who played the course for the first time last night, I just want to say, "WOW, WHAT A COURSE YOU ALL HAVE HERE!!!" And I never once thought anything other than, "What a great place for a disc golf course."

The only thing I thought was missing is good directions from hole 6 to 7. I wondered down to what I thought was hole 7, based on a 7 and an arrow on a tree, but never found any baskets, just threw at a tree with an orange square on it. Then roamed the two trails down the hill before coming back up the hill following a 3rd tail but again no basket. So I picked a line and ended up about 40' short of a hole that was cut out. Then found my way back to a hole by the road and played on without any problems from there.

Now, based on that experience I've got 4 newbies from the place I'm working at the next two weeks who want to come out with me to see what disc golf is all about. We planned on coming out on Thursday but I heard there may be a mini or something going on on Thursdays. Any details and can I work in a round with the new folks and not slow anyone down? Plus I'd like to hit the mini up next week if possible.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:10:45 PM

Thanks Doc. We do bag tags on Thursdays, but it is pretty casual-and never extremely crowded. So you shopuldn't hold anyone up by bringing some n00bs out there.

If you'd like to play, it's $10 to buy a tag, and $3 to play the round (there is no weekly payout-just an end of year payout). I'd have to agree that it's a great course. Not too often do you find a course in the middle of a city where 54 is about 1000 rated round.
XxNinerStrikexX
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:08:52 AM

Hey guys, a few buddies of mine and myself have started playing at Mt. Airy (We live in Harrison), and we keep getting confused on the hole layout. We printed off a course map, but it shows holes 7&8 in the woods. I know they have been relocated, but I cannot find both holes. After hole 4, I see a short par 3 to the right (There is a hydrant near the basket), and then I see another dirt teebox that doesnt have a basket in sight. We thought that was the original hole 5, but we again got confused. According to our map, hole 5's basket is across the road, on the same side as the white house, but the only basket we could find was several hundred feet from the teebox, in the woods. Is there any way someone could alter the map on the site, or just explain to me where the holes are? We still seem to only be finding 17 total holes... Thanks in advance for your help!
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:35:30 AM

the dirt tee pad that you are speaking of, tees off to the right of the little hut. Going with the road (like you are leaving that back part of the park) there is a basket down through the trees. Its visible from 7's teepad
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:42:24 AM

Hole 5 is the short hole you speak of

Hole 6 is "over the valley and through the woods," you can see it from hole 7 tee pad