Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
XxNinerStrikexX
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:29:32 PM

Ok, well this is the map I was referring to: http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Portals/0/pages/Courses/coursemaps/mtairy.jpg

So does that mean that holes 5&6 are renumbered to 7&8, since they would otherwise be out of numerical order? If so does that mean that the mando hole is now hole 8?

GStrick, Noticed that you are in Clifton...I'm actually in clifton right now (I go to UC).

Thanks for the help!
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:38:11 PM

you are correct...
there are new 5&6 and then you have 7, then 8 has the mando...

We should try and get that updated.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:26:52 PM

It probably is a little confusing back there right now.  The original holes 7 & 8 were the ones you were referring to back in the woods.  You might have noticed that there are still tee pads there, those holes have been discontinued (for now) because of erosion problems.

The new holes 5 & 6 are behind the white lodge.  After you finish 4, continue on behind the lodge, where you'll find the natural tee for new 5.  It is a short anhyzer shot to the back of the open space.  Then turn around and start back toward the lodge, but to the right, where the natural tee for new hole 6 is.  That hole is a good 600 ft.  Place your drive at the opening of the wooded trail (wide trail), which continues parallel to the road toward the next tee.  The basket is slightly to the right, at the end of the trail, very close to the next tee, which was original hole 5 and now plays as hole 7.  Hole 8 loops around the back of the parking lot, skip the holes in the woods that are no more because of erosion, and you're back on track at hole 9.

Clear as a muddied lake, huh? 
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:42:32 PM

Its sounds very confusing STEVO, but i think you explained it as good as anyone possibly can. Unless you Know where hole 5 is, your going to have trouble finding it! I would have just said, after hole 4, walk down the backside of the white house, and youll walk right to number 5's tee. But id have people walking everywhere but the right way, so I think you explained it pretty well. Thats just my .02 cents...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 4:28:32 PM

All will be corrected and simplified in about a month or so.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:34:59 AM

Saturday is Green up day at Mt Airy. It is sponsored by the Cincinnati Parks dept. I will try to get the parks to drop some gravel or mulch so we can spread it on the walking paths between holes and where needed. It is scheduled from 9:00 to 1:00. All are welcome, bring tools. Maybe the club can buy lunch for all?
Rain date is the following Saturday.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:49:00 AM

Hey fred, the parks dept doesn't even list Airy as part of the day (California and Burnett). Are they still cool with it?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:02:57 PM

http://dynamic.cinci-parks.org/getinvolvedaprilmay.htm

Brad, it's in there.  Liz, will the club approve lunch?
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:51:59 PM

crazy thing... that wasn't easy to find. Thanks fred sounds awesome
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:46:29 PM

I don't have a problem with the club paying for lunch for disc golfers who volunteer, I will be out of town this weekend, so if someone wants to take this initiative (not sure if you've already done so Fred), you'll need to get in touch with Pete - he's the money man.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:31:37 PM

The club doesn't need to provide lunch. The park does. Its always been the 26th of April, the same day as the Lexington open. Last year only 2 or so made it out and about a dozen the year before. I strongly encourage anyone that wants to come out and represent the Club please check in with the Parks people at the shelter in the center of the large oval. Just take a left at the main park entrance, its just past the new Treehouse they built last year.

I have to apologize for not posting this sooner. But, after last years Greenup day Mr. Parker and I concluded that it would be better if we had a few seperate weekends to concentrate on the course with the city crews since they are basically swamped that day with haveing to lead 700+ volunteers throughout the city parks.
Any people we send out will basically be pickin up trash and clearing small debris from fairways. All there heavy equipment and people will be busy helpn elsewhere.

More to come soon.
I will be competing this weekend in Lexington.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 10:45:23 AM

Due to the weather forcast I'd like to change the work day at Mt Airy to next Saturday at 10:00.
T_Vincent
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 4:33:17 PM

Will it make a difference that is also the World's Biggest at Banklick on May 3?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, May 02, 2008 12:33:43 PM

The work day for Mt Airy on Saturday is posponed until Adam meets with the park director and finds out what they can provide as far as materials are concerned. If you are interested in helping for a couple of hours please post here or pm me so we can make arrangements for lunch/party after working. It will most likely be on a Saturday. Your help would be appreciated.
TyFarina
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:54:30 PM

Got my new work schedule.....I'm free on Saturdays...count me in
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 8:35:55 AM

Work day for Saturday is postponed due to the weather.
perica
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:34:12 AM

i played airy this morning and noticed an electrician crew doing some work at the lodge by holes 4, 5, and 6. not sure if its for the disc store that's been rumored to be opening there, but figured somebody would be interested.
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:43:24 AM

If you build it they will come

I love the idea of throwing over passing cars on hole 7. I hope they made a sign "Yeild to Flying Disc"
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:12:40 PM

GStrick wrote:
I hope they made a sign "Yeild to Flying Disc"

I am sure that we would be expected to pay for it laugh
perica
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:13:24 PM

there were city workers at the course today. they spread mulch around a bunch of the trees on 10 and 12 along with some cleaning up weed eating.

if only they'd cut the grass on 3.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:31:50 PM

I really like that high grass on #3 it makes it possible for Karen to out drive Pete Caldwell, Jim Ferrara, and myself; which happened at last weeks' Ace Fund.
ahlavac
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:47:55 PM

High grass just increases the chances of losing a disc. I heard the grass at Pride Park is up to your armpits...
kmaupin
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 10:02:12 AM

Played Airy for the first time in years yesterday and it has changed a lot, maturing of trees on 10, 18 and the new holes that replaced the old 7 and 8... lucky for me there were some young guys there that could show us where to go as it was very confusing with no signage that I could tell. (I will admit not checking the poster board at hole 1 before we started so it may have been documented there.)

Overall the course played very well and definately a challenge! Hole 3 was a mess with all the high grass, not that it was harder but it just looked unkept.

Hope that I can come out there more often!

Kelly
Dellahyam
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:26:44 AM

Played yesterday for the first time! Thought it was awesome! Alot of the Tee Signs are gone! Im going to print off a map next time I go! Fiance didnt do to bad there either! She is just getting the hang of throwing a disc for distance!
discdude
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:33:55 PM

I would like to bring up a couple concerns that have been bothering me with regards to my favorite course (Mt. airy of course):
Why were the two previous holes taken out? They were two of the most fun and challenging ones on the course. Is there any way that baskets can be put back in place and have two additional/optional holes? the tee pads are still in place, all that would really be needer are these two baskets.
Also, are there any plans to have cement tee pads put in for the two new holes?

Playing mt airy still rocks but it could be even better with a few small changes.
Just throwing this out there, but if theres an issue of money for the aforementioned baskets and tee pads, perhaps some type of fundraising tournament could be arranged, I'm sure a lot of the Mt. Airy regulars would be glad to play to support the cause.

Thanks for reading