Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
discdude
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:37:37 PM

P.S. By previous holes I meant holes 8 and 9, which were replaced by current holes 5 and 6 (but I'm guessing you knew what I meant)

:P
ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:49:11 AM

I miss those holes too and would gladly contribute to a fundraiser to get them replaced
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:33:16 AM

I think erosion was the problem! I dont think you can do any fundraiser tourny for erosion!
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:15:22 AM

Actually, you can- if you can get grass to grow down on old hole Seven where the basket used to be and cut stairs into the hill these holes could be playable in two years or so if you can convince the park manager. Erosion is a big problem for him and will lead to some disappointing changes at Airy in the near future. One way of looking at it though is that in that other golf game they move the pin around so that the greens don't get worn out around the cup. If Airy had multiple pin placements on a few of the more eroded holes we might solve the erosion problems. Check out the info in previous posts in this thread-go back a couple of pages and read up.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:21:23 AM

yeah, you'll see that 3 will move due to erosion in the near future.
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:58:21 AM

To answer your questions...the two holes where moved because of erosion and grass will not grow in the woods without a lot of work and tree cutting. The erosion could be addressed with a lot of work and a ton of supplies.
ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:36:36 PM

It will be interesting to see where the pin on hole #3 moves to once erosion forces that change.

Now that you mention it, the pin on #16 (down the hill, toward the bridge) might be claimed by erosion too.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:49:33 PM

ahlavac wrote:
Now that you mention it, the pin on #16 (down the hill, toward the bridge) might be claimed by erosion too.

censored  SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 
discdude
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:54:09 PM

Have there been any kinds of estimates as to what is needed exactly to stop the erosion on 7 and 8, and any other ones possibly affected ( money, labor, etc.)? It seems as though there should be something that can be done; especially with the support such an effort could potentially receive from all those who love to play Mt. Airy regularly and wouldn't wouldn't want to see their favorite holes changed/removed.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:59:18 PM

You can always send an email or letter to the parks department. that would be the best way to start.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:14:08 PM

At Idlewild some new (and old) pin positions were prepared (trees trimmed to let light shine on new seed) several months ahead of the pins being moved with very good success. Similar results could be had at Airy. All we need is permission, perhaps sign some liability waivers, and I would volunteer my labor and chain saw to the project. Everybody knows however, especially Freddy Salaz, that I would try to make the holes a "little" longer though HA-HA!!!
 I think Fred and Adam already has some ideas about multiple pin placements on many holes.
 As aforementioned ball golf greens would be a right bloody mess if the pin positions were never moved and... if golfers were allowed to play in all weather/ground conditions.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 10:00:12 AM

We will be at Mt Airy on Saturday cleaning up debris on #8 and the path to #11 if anyone wants to help. 10:00ish I'll buy lunch and some cold ones. Maybe a round afterwards.  Sorry for the short notice.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 11:45:55 AM

I just wanted to thank all that showed up to help clean up Mt Airy on Saturday. We cleaned up the fairway of #8, the path between #10 and 11 and #11's tee. Jim and Karen, Hans and buddy Mark, Tony, Kevin and Drew(didn't catch last name) and I all worked really hard, had a good lunch and played 9 holes of doubles to top it off. It was a good day.
ADM2008
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:51:53 PM

Fred,
It was great meeting you, Jim, Kevin, and Mark and it's always good to see Hans and Karen. I'll be sure to check into the site more often for these great opportunities to give back to the disc community-Drew Miller
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:06:45 PM

Drew, I'm still laughing at the sight of your head caught between the two limbs Jim and Hans were trying to cut down. That was funny, I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
ADM2008
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:35:15 PM

Yeah,
Limb slipped of my shoulder and I suddenly realized that I was in a Tree Guillotine, good thing Kevin didn't jump on it right away....that would have been bad....
Cincybob
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:40:50 AM

I was playing Mt Airy last Thurs evening, what's up in the section between hole 4 and hole 5. looks like a nice paver tee pad in progress. Is there a basket going in? If so where?

Bob U.
Lingo1976
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:17:18 PM

It is the new #5 teepad........ it will go straight up through the trees and the basket will be behind the proshop!!!!

J-son
The Nati Disc Golf . c o m
Lingo1976
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 11:23:10 AM

Also the Mt. Airy course is in the midst of a little redesign right now. A few holes will be changed and some upgrades will be made.

The #5 teepad I talked about above will soon be #18. And the new #1 will be the current #6. The teepad on this hole will be shorter so discs will not be flying into the parking lot near the pro shop.

There are other issues and ideas being discussed for the course but I really don't feel like typing all of them out, but look for some good improvements over the winter months

J-son

The Nati Disc Golf . c o m
ccs
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 11:44:33 AM

That's kind of sad. The current hole 6 is a really nice par 4. A par 3 finishing hole is kind of a let down too. If the course has to begin and end at the pro shop it would be nice to lengthen hole 4 to make a challenging par 5. That would be a great finishing hole.

Chris
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 12:03:56 PM

Is everyone who has been playing this course for the last hundred years have any imput? If so, i would say dont change the course at all! I understand the problem with throwing into the parking lot on hole 6(even though that takes that hole from being a challenging par four, to a possible deuce) And maybe making hole 5 longer, or totally different, is a good idea. But changing anything else would just be stupid in my opinion.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 12:59:22 PM

Just so everyone is on the same page, here is a little update.
The Club Board members, myself, and Fred have met and discussed the future of Airy and as soon as we have a definite plan we will inform everyone else.
Do not worry about the current layout since one goal is to have permanent sleeves installed in all original locations and we will be adding alternate sleeves on all holes to allow different challenges and rest for the other pin locations. Nothing is set in stone just yet so please keep the rumors in check for now. Anything you may here is simply that....rumors. We will be asking for volunteers very soon and I will be posting for those days as soon as possible.
Fred will be working with me as far as course work is concerned. He will be a great asset to me since I cannot be at Airy all the time and oversee everything that needs supervision. Please keep in mind that I am still the club appointed course pro for Airy and untill that changes anything needed at Airy should go through me or the Club Board.
More to come very soon.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 1:08:33 PM

Adam, looks like we posted at the same time. I will erase my post and let you handle course questions from here.
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 7:10:00 PM

I approve of the alternate pin placements allowing for the healing of the course. Heck, if it was private and I was the greenskeeper, I'd close the course when it was wet. No one should be on that course when it's muddy.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:31:18 PM

All courses change folks, in case you haven't noticed. Hole 18 is currently a par 3 finishing hole. NONE of the changes (aside from the pro-shop area) would be needed if there wasn't an aversion to wood chips around here. I don't get it, with so many downed trees- just mulch them up and put them on every walking path and basket area. Hudson Mills(in Ann Arbor area) has twice as much traffic as Mt. Airy and the same errosion concerns are mitigated by mulch spread by the club monthly. Blah, blah, blah...