Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:13:14 PM

All courses dont change though finnhawc. i actually only know of one course around here that really changes. The rest seem the same as the day i started playing 8 years ago. Yeah they may add a hole or two, but never a complete change. And if we are going to change a course, why would it be Airy? Its already the best in Cincy, why not change a course that NEEDS a PRO to come in and change some holes to make it more challenging? Airy doesnt need pros, it just needs a Proshop...
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:37:08 PM

I would have to agree with Finn on the courses changing. Wether many of you know it or not the Mt. Airy that you play today is far from the original course. Get a copy of the original layout sometime and you will see what I mean. Then holes 7 and 8 were taken out due to mass erosion problems. And mulch does not fix the problem it just washes away with a good rain. I think that everyone is thinking that the whole course is going to be changed and that is not true just a few holes need to be fixed. For example current #5's basket is in the middle of a walking trail (not a good spot) and #3's basket is going to be in the creek if something isn't done soon.

As time goes by things need to be changed to all courses (Boone Woods is getting a revamp, Mt. Airy is not the original, Woodland Mounds has been changed, etc.). And I doubt many of us play at Winton Woods because it is simply too short. I'm sure most of us would agree that it could use a redesign to make it a little more challenging. At the same time my little girl would be pissed lol. Also we all know that Pride Park as of right now is just 18 baskets going to waste and needs some help as well.

Just be glad that the courses are just getting a face lift and not being taken out like some of our courses in the past. It may not show in my game, but I'm sure that I have been playing this sport longer that most of the people on here and I dearly miss a few of the courses that we have lost..........

R.I.P. Limaburg, Pioneer Park, Cabin Creek, and the original Banklick (currently Fox Run golf course) I played them all and they were great and now just a memory.....

J-son

The Nati Disc Golf . c o m
ccs
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:38:37 PM

finnhawc wrote:
All courses change folks, in case you haven't noticed. Hole 18 is currently a par 3 finishing hole. NONE of the changes (aside from the pro-shop area) would be needed if there wasn't an aversion to wood chips around here. I don't get it, with so many downed trees- just mulch them up and put them on every walking path and basket area. Hudson Mills(in Ann Arbor area) has twice as much traffic as Mt. Airy and the same errosion concerns are mitigated by mulch spread by the club monthly. Blah, blah, blah...

Just because hole 18 is currently a par three doesn't mean that the new hole 18 needs to be a par 3. I'm really not sure if the current hole 18 is a par 3 anyhow but that's a different argument. I just thought as long as the course is being changed it could be improved. Par 3's don't make good finishing holes.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:02:37 AM

Keep in mind, at least for competitive events, ALL holes at Mt. Airy are considered par 3's, no matter how long they are.
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:02:17 AM

STEVO wrote:
Keep in mind, at least for competitive events, ALL holes at Mt. Airy are considered par 3's, no matter how long they are.

That's the can of worms I didn't want to open...
Par is not an arbitrairy number that is assigned to holes. We could call them all par 4's or par 2's if we wanted. Just because better players average 3 on a hole doesn't make it a par 3. A simplified way to calculate par is to take the number of shots a player would take to get within putting range and add 2.
I'll rephrase it. Short par 3's don't make good finishing holes but longer par 3's can.
perica
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:51:44 PM

Lingo1976 wrote:
I would have to agree with Finn on the courses changing. Wether many of you know it or not the Mt. Airy that you play today is far from the original course. Get a copy of the original layout sometime and you will see what I mean. Then holes 7 and 8 were taken out due to mass erosion problems.

if i'm not mistaken, long before i began playing and long before 7 & 8 were moved, the mt airy course was west of its original location, now home to some hiking trails.  i believe it was destroyed by a microburst that fell hundreds of trees on the original course.

i think that miami whitewater recived a makeover some time in its history as well.  any veterans out there to confirm this?
surgediscgolf
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:44:03 PM

Absolutely. Miami Whitewater bears no resemblance to the original course. It was a long, long time ago, but I think I remember a hole where the approach was directly over a small pond and there was a large tree directly on the other side of the pond... ...but we're talking maybe 30 years ago.
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:49:12 PM

That is correct, Surge.  The original course was 9 holes, put in sometime around 1977-78, and it was par 36 (using all frisbees back then).  I skipped high school many times to play there.  Hole 8 was the toughest hole, it required a drive across the pond to an open area, then up a long hill to a pin that had OB road and creek behind it.  It was 470', very long for the times.

The course had two design changes, then was eventually moved across the street to its current location when the boat house and surrounding area were renovated.

Mark, that's the way I remember Mt. Airy, as well.  That was when I first started playing competitively.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:55:59 PM

Ok, let me rephrase it then. Other then thirty years ago, when a bad Miami Whitewater course was changed and a microburst i guess longer then ten years ago, at Mt. Airy, there arent really any courses that make significant changes yearly. So why change Mt. Airy again? Errosion? What errosion. I can maybe see it a little bit on #3, but honestly that wont be a big deal for another ten years or so. A hillside dont just fall away...And maybe 16, other then that errosion really isnt an issue.
agentdozzer
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:10:15 PM

[quote=Lingo1976]l. Also we all know that Pride Park as of right now is just 18 baskets going to waste and needs some help as well. Just be glad that the courses are just getting a face lift and not being taken out like some of our courses in the past.
 If everything works out on this house i am trying to buy i have hopes of helping pride a great deal. I love wooded courses and just wish i had the time to help out more, last year i tried to trim fairways but it was a big job.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:21:02 PM

Errosion might not be an issue, but erosion is. laugh
Every single hole at Mt. Airy has some level of erosion happening.
How long have you been playing? When this course layout went in, every pin was surrounded by grass. Every tee had grass butting up to it. Now I can't think of a single hole there which doesn't have bare dirt around either the tee, pin, or both.
We've had old #7 and 8 pulled because of erosion. We need to save the course.
Pins need to be alternated, and some tees need follow through pits (#2 and #17 immediately come to mind) in front of them. And we need to respect hillside courses when they're wet. 70 people slogging through mud does irreperable harm.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 9:44:36 AM

8 years, and i dont think i have played a course (unless brand new) that doesnt have dirt around the tee area and the basket itself. Of course when it was first put in, there wasnt any dirt,nobody had played it yet. So the errosion you are worried about is the dirt around the pins and tees? Thats not errosion, thats wear, you are going to get that no matter where you play.
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 9:39:34 AM

It's hillside wear, and Cincinnati Parks don't like scars on their green spaces.
We don't notice the gradual change, since we play it all the time. Park personnel see it in time lapse. They're responsible for a 1459-acre park, while we walk the same 40-acre tract every time we visit. Appearances count.
A little preventive maintenance can't hurt.
Firebird
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:54:30 PM

(They're responsible for a 1459-acre park) Should disc golfers take all the blame? Park personel could install beams or timbers on the hillsides for erosion controle. Also, as you said "some tees need follow through pits. As for around basket areas, there is grass seed for high maintenance areas. On another note, it is tempting to make a cute remark about grammer and I think it's fine when both parties know one another. Therefor, anybody that doesn't know Frizgolf don't take his wry humor in bad way cause he is a funloving guy in reality.
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:09:37 PM

Played Mt. Airy yesterday with Hans, Jim, and Fred....After watching Fred and Steve dig and concrete in the new #5 baseket...well..I guess it will be the new #18 after the renumbering....I really like the new hole. Old #5 was kinda boring. Yea, it used to force you into a nice turnover or a sidearm...but people would just shoot the gap underneath for some easy 2's. The new hole has a nice paverstone teebox....uphill in the 300+ range. I don't think any of us reached the hole..much less blow pass it. Fred put one on the paved walking path behind the building with the yellow hand rails....probably going to rule that one OB in the future.

I didn't understand the shortening of old #6...new #1 I assume. I heard mention of not wanting to hit cars..but the new tee area is just as prone to hit cars if you suck and pull left. I'm also glad I took my first 3 on old 3...yep...not that hard for some of you..but it was for me. I hear there will be a new placement for that hole as well..but leave the sleeve in for tournaments.

Not a bad day...I shot a +10 on a COLD day at Mt. Airy. I can easily count 7 strokes where I really...really...really shouldn't have screwed up a throw that bad. So, on a day I didn't have the best judgement...nor the command of my stuff..I didn't shoot too bad considering the elements.
DanH
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:13:54 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of old #5, but I'm sad to hear #6 is shortened. Does new #5 present any challenge besides distance? Are there some trees to navigate through?
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:37:13 PM

Dan, New #5 or new #18..whatever it will turn into is a great little hole. You have trees on the right and left and must keep it low due to a ceiling. With you in mind...if you really shank a forehand...you will be in some serious do-do.
Brad_H
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:41:31 PM

I like the new hole 5. It's a good compliment to the rest of the course because it adds some variety. There aren't really any other holes on the course where the practical line is to throw straight at the basket. Nice teebird shot, or roc shot if you throw far. Well, Ok, I guess 11 is like that too. The previous short anhyzer hole 5 was kinda meh.

Holes 2, 3, 4, and 6 are my favorite holes on the course the way they are. I don't want to see the layout of any of those changed.
crispy
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2008 6:48:55 PM

It's going to be around 60 degrees Friday and Saturday. I'll be up at Airy both days was just seeing if anyone else is going up there or idlewild.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:58:39 PM

Bob and I plan on working on hole #16 on Saturday, 11sh. We plan on bringing out the dead honeysuckle the parks cut down and just left. Also digging up honeysuckle stumps on same hole. Your help would be appreciated.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 12:07:21 AM

I caught a cold and can't shake it so I won't be there on Saturday. I'm not sure if Bob is going to make it.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:16:17 AM

I wish I could make it yet I have a previous engagement at 11 and might not be available till after 1 or 2.
I have met with Larry and he is lookn over the layout we have and is maken me a few copies. I should see him in the next couple of days. More to come soon.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 6:18:20 AM

WORK DAY at MT. AIRY

when:   Sunday Jan 11 at 11am. till @ 2pm.
where:  Meet at the Pro shop
what:    Please bring gloves and hand tools if possible
why:     Clearing and organizing debri for mulching

AdamJ
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 7:42:29 PM

AdamJ wrote:
WORK DAY at MT. AIRY

when:   Sunday Jan 11 at 11am. till @ 2pm.
where:  Meet at the Pro shop
what:    Please bring gloves and hand tools if possible
why:     Clearing and organizing debri for mulching

Bump
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:39:16 PM

Big thanks to all those that came out and helped today.
We got alot accomplished in just 3 hours.
I will post again soon for next work day.