Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:37:50 AM

I will be at Mt. Airy on Saturday
If anyone that does not plan on playing the CC at Harbin
and would like to join me please give me a call.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:12:20 AM

I have a problem or a situation I need some help with. I was unable to come to the last club meeting when the course challenge series was discussed and now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Basically, the AJ Jolly CC is set for April 25th which used to be occupied by the Lexington open and is the Annual City Wide Green-up Day for Cincinnati Parks. Back in 05' we managed to have 13 club members show and volunteer at Mt. Airy and because of this I was able to start the great relationship with Larry and Lou at Airy. I know its not practical to change it to Sunday after all the postcards have already been sent out so I am not going to request it to be changed. However I would like to hear from anyone that would be willing to sacrifice playing the AJ Jolly CC and meet me at Airy on the 25th to work with the Park people. I was told by Lou that he is going to try and get tree's ready for us to plant on the course that day as our main objective, which is a huge step in my book. He just had a meeting the other day about getting that ball rolling. Please either call me directly and pm me as soon as possible so I can relate this back to them and keep it organized. Remember you can miss 2 CCS events and still maintain your points for the series. I will be meeting with Lou again this Friday to walk the course and discuss some of the larger projects that will be coming up soon. Thanks everyone for your help and ciyas around.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:10:26 PM

This coming weekend looks open
same deal, meet at hole 10 parking
9 am till about 12 or 1
bring gloves if ya got em.
contact me if you will be coming please.
Lunch provided afterward.
andersab
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:53:36 PM

Adam do you mean Sunday? The Dayton BID is Saturday.
Brad_H
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:27:31 PM

I'm sorry I never get to make it. I've always got to work Saturday mornings. (I was lucky I was able to get off work for the Harbin course challenge... Then I came out there and played terrible >.<

I'm a real workhorse and I get s**t done. Wish I was able to come down to Airy and tear it up for you, Adam.
It's my love/hate course, and I'd really like to contribute to its improvement.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 9:06:01 AM

andersab wrote:
Adam do you mean Sunday? The Dayton BID is Saturday.

nope I mean saturday, this is cincy, not dayton
I can't make exceptions for everything that conflicts, sometimes there is something else
that you may not know of, thanks for the concern.
Sorry Dayton I have to do it Saturday
I understand if anyone would rather play up there, go ahead I should be able to get a few peeps out to help still.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:54:40 AM

AdamJ wrote:
This coming weekend looks open same deal, meet at hole 10 parking 9 am till about 12 or 1 bring gloves if ya got em. contact me if you will be coming please. Lunch provided afterward.

Bump
this Saturday

AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:46:12 AM

Haven't heard from anyone bout this Saturday.
If I don't get responses I may cancel, so Please contact me if you plan on attending
As the season starts up we will have fewer work days on weekends because of tourny traffic,
but will start getting involved in the larger projects during the week.
I will be at bag tags 2nite at Airy.
Thanks and ciyas later
DanH
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:18:12 AM

I'll be there, Adam.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:37:38 AM

Adam, Banklick(Lincoln Ridge) had scheduled a work day for Saturday March 21 a while back. We, nkdgc, will be out there helping out. I should be able to start at Airy sometime soon. Idlewild is looking pretty good and my knee is doing well(haven't really thrown yet). I'll be at Airy on Tuesday if you want to discuss what you want me to work on.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:20:49 AM

Thanks Fred, yah I knew about that also, have to do what I have to. Try and call ya in the next few days.
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:34:28 PM

I plan on being at Airy on Sat.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 10:24:02 PM

Cool guys see ya's all in the mornin
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 8:15:48 AM

Thanks to all those that helped out Saturday, was a great day and as usual we got a lot done. Still have a bit of work to do on hole 10 and If I feel up to it I may go out later today and haul some more brush down the hill. Lou and Rich kept cutting and there is a lot of brush to move still. Since the next few weekends and practically all the ones from here on out will be filled with tournaments and stuff, picking days for volunteer work days will be few and far between. I will be asking if weekday events would be possible for some of us. Might be like Mondays from 4-6 or so that way people can still get rounds in and we can still get a lot done in just 2 hours if we get just a few people to show each time. Any opinions on this will help, It is going to take a few years to get all the work done and then it should be simple maintenance from there on out. The park guys just aerated the fairway and other traffic areas which will help new grow and oxygenate the soil. I know all the trash cans are off the course for the time being and a new bucket system for removal is underway. We will be planting trees and stuff in the next few months along with seeding and mulching certain areas. I also want people to realize that during this season there will be times when I will need close off or rope off certain holes or parts of holes to accomplish certain tasks. Please be patient and try and help me do this by explaining to others that may not understand what we are trying to accomplish. Any questions or if you want to come help out, just contact me, anytime. Thanks everyone for your support and hope to seeya's on the course and in the fairways.
Brad_H
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 10:13:24 PM

I was at Mt Airy earlier today. You guys are doing an amazing job.

When I walked to where my drive on hole 10 landed, I saw all the junk ya'll cleared out of there. It looks really, really good. There's even a second shot hyzer route now.

I've always thought that the woods and valley on the right hand side of the fairway were beautiful, and you have opened that up and enhanced it. There is such a great landscape there. Way to take advantage of it.
bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 10:07:42 AM

Adam, I can skip the course challenge at AJ. Mt. Airy's a good 30 miles closer for me anyway.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:22:09 PM

Anyone not playing anywhere this comin weekend want to work at Airy on Saturday?
I was considering playn but have decided to stay here and work some mo.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 10:17:19 PM

Great work, Adam. Thanks for heading up the effort.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:39:05 PM

Thanks Pete and Brad for the kind words
I am heading up to Airy to work on hole for a few hours before the Ace fund tonite.
If your bored and wanna come out I should be down the hill just south of the Tee for 10.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:03:25 PM

Looks like the weather is going to keep us indoors for awhile, let ya's all know what is happening next very soon.

On a side note, since we will be having a lot of rain for the next week or so and if it does clear up and you all get the urge to go play a round somewhere. Stop for a moment and think about how nasty its going to be and try and convince yourselves to go and practice at some nearby soccer field or something similar. When our local courses get nasty from bad weather we do a lot of damage to fairways/greens and Tee areas. Until some courses take steps to control these issues, common sense would tell ya to wait for better weather. These are part of the reasons for old 7 and 8 at Airy and why they where pulled. Thanks for listening er reading and ciyas later.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:39:11 PM

Adam, I am going to play devil's advocate just for argument sake. Anytime you have asked me not to play Airy I come to my senses and go somewhere else or just don't play. That being said, we play Banklick year round with very little adverse erosion. Just my 2 cents. Also .. how about asking the parks for some trash cans .. that they will actually empty! Every time I have thrown there past 2 weeks my bag is overflowing with gatorade budlight and red bull cans picked up on #2 #4 and #6 teepads. Thanks for all your hard work this year its really coming around.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:18:04 AM

I know what your saying, but for some reason Airy gets nasty runoff at certain areas and it really hasn't been maintained much since I was here. I know the club and Park took care of a lot of stuff but holes 7 and 8 could have been saved by proper preventative maintenance. As far as the trash cans, yes the park pulled them and they told us they would supply buckets for each tee and Fred had volunteered to take care of the pick ups. I have not heard back from Larry since Saturday and I am waiting for his reply. This year and in next 3 or so the course will be undergoing a face lift so to speak and a lot of the issues we all gripe about I hope to resolve. Right now all I can ask for is patience, honest criticism, and as many volunteers as I can get.

As soon as I meet with Larry we should be able to start installing the alternate pins. Soon after the pins are finished the baskets will be pulled for just a few days to get re-galvanized. They will be placed in the new positions to allow us to renovate the original locations. Please keep in mind I may have to close or section off certain areas while work is in progress. We have so much to do this may take over 3 years to accomplish everything and that's being optimistic.

gonna post about tags on that thread here in a min.

Thanks for everyone's input, see ya on the fairway
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:26:48 AM

I also talked with Lou yesterday and we are not working this weekend.
I will be in BG the next weekend,KY States after that, Lexington open after that, and then on the 25th of April is the Cincinnati Parks Green-up day which is the same day as our AJ Jolly CCS. I am not sure when we can do anything except during the week if possible. I have asked Lou about doing a 4-6 or 3-5 with a few of his people and some of us for 2 hour work sessions and he seemed to believe that would work. What do you all think, weekday's work for anyone or I can let someone else be in charge while I can't be able to attend?
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:29:44 AM

If anyone wants to head up a work day for me just call me and I will direct ya to Lou to organize something. Otherwise we will pick up where we left off next weekend. Looks like next Sunday if possible for the park guys.
Off to BG ams, ciyas later and thanks.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 10:30:25 PM

This Sunday I would like to get back out there.
Anyone up for it? 
Yes this is Easter Sunday,  I will be there anyway.
Saturday is the KY states champ.

Usual stuff, 9-12 or so and lunch afterward.
Contact me if you will attend please.