Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
BlaznJason
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:49:48 PM

Can we fix the signed pars for this course? The 700 foot dogleg right is posted as a par 3 for pete's sake.
BlaznJason
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:53:32 PM

Why can't we recreate the two holes across from the playground in front of #2's basket? No money for the two baskets? (The old teepads are still there.)

20 holes is better than 18. (see Banklick)
funktopus
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:01:21 AM

BlaznJason wrote:
Can we fix the signed pars for this course? The 700 foot dogleg right is posted as a par 3 for pete's sake.

I'm with you on that. A few people from out of town were complaining about the pars on several of the holes. (This was on Sunday at the grand opening of the Nati.) I personally would like to see more "normal" pars on them but keep getting told to play it all as a par three.

Sorry but some of the pars on that course are just silly.
jpaul6
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:23:30 PM

They can be par 3's or par 10's...what matters is the total number of strokes after the 18 holes. The rest is just all in your head. Typically it is easier for me (and I assume others) to keep score (when not using a scorecard) with them all being the same, just counting '+1/ -1' or whatever after each hole, then adding my + or - number to 54 to get my total. It's sure nicer to say, "I shot -6" at Mt. Airy than "+6", and depending on what you play for par on each hole, that will vary. But what matters is total shots.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:31:52 PM

If you want to see what par would be, based on the larger disc golf governing body... PDGA. You can figure how many perfect shots to get there + 2 putt. Here is what I would rate each hole at Airy based on that, and will probably use for the Flying Pig Open this year(October 17th and 18th)...

(This numbering scheme is by what I call Airy's holes, old 1 based on the new numbering scheme)
Hole - Par
1 - 3
2 - 4
3 - 4
4 - 4
5 - 3
6 - 4
7 - 3
8 - 3
9 - 4
10 - 5
11 - 3
12 - 3
13 - 3
14 - 3
15 - 3
16 - 3
17 - 3
18 - 4
Total - 62

(This year's pig layout will also include)
OLD 7 - 3
OLD 8 - 3
Grand Total - 68

So take that for what it is worth but like jpaul6 said thumbsup , its total score that counts.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 3:50:08 PM

For all those new people that don't know the real story, here it is. Old holes 7 and 8 were pulled due to the Park dept. did not like the erosion trouble there. This gave way to new holes 5 and 6 which we play now. Then hole 5 was moved from the side of the lodge to the back to which we play now. The numbers where changed to accommodate requests made by the Nati Disc golf shop. Any new signs will be done after most of the renovations are done. Since we will have alternate pin placements I want those and any new Tee's done first before any signage is made up. I know the pars on the course are wrong, was a simple mistake when they where made up, please get over it. All the signs you see are just temporary anyway. As far as course par is concerned you have to decide which level of player the course is designed for to actually figure out par. PDGA has 4 different ways based on players ratings for figuring out par. I am pulling towards the 950 rated player guidelines for par. http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/ParGuidelines.pdf .

Basically if you use their guide for a 950 rated player (Blue Tees) you would have what Brad wrote, Par 62. Now a 1000 rated player or from their (Gold Tees) you might be looking at Par 57. Gets tricky when you factor in tree density and because some of the lengths are very close to par changes.

Hope this helps, have more info later, ciyas around
funktopus
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:27:57 PM

AdamJ wrote:
I know the pars on the course are wrong, was a simple mistake when they where made up, please get over it. All the signs you see are just temporary anyway.

Hope this helps, have more info later, ciyas around

Well that explains it for me. Thanks Adam for letting us know. I'm off to read into the Blue tess and Gold tees.

Suicidal
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:53:50 PM

Mt Airy use to be one of the Best courses in this town. But lately this course is looking to be based on a person that is wanting to make money off the course instead of keeping it true. If you are trying to stop the hill from sliding on old hole 3 why build a 3 foot wall, and make the hole so much easier, instead build a support into the ground. Your wall has made that hole so much easier and so has taking out all the trees and brush that you took out all over the course. Someone needs to stop being money hungry and let Airy be Airy.
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:48:40 PM

Adam and the others are working to make the course look less ruggid and more professional and well groomed! I appreciate ALL their hardwork in keeping Airy looking beautiful.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:32:04 PM

Suicidal wrote:
Mt Airy use to be one of the Best courses in this town. But lately this course is looking to be based on a person that is wanting to make money off the course instead of keeping it true. If you are trying to stop the hill from sliding on old hole 3 why build a 3 foot wall, and make the hole so much easier, instead build a support into the ground. Your wall has made that hole so much easier and so has taking out all the trees and brush that you took out all over the course. Someone needs to stop being money hungry and let Airy be Airy.

Hmmm, Not sure where to start here. I just want to say that Mt Airy is the responsibility of the GCFDA and I am doing my best to stay within their boundries and responsibilities.  So far so good, I think.  The park dept is doing all the clearing, we haven't touched anything.  We're not done with the wall on 16 but I think you're gonna really hate it when we are done. But it will serve a purpose, which is to keep erosion down.  The park dept wanted to pull the basket and move it way back, like old #7 and 8, hopefully this will help.
We do however empty all the trash cans on a regular basis and are trying to keep the course clean.  I hope you noticed.
Money hungry?  I don't think so.  I've spent more money on disc golf in my life time than you make in a year.
I have 3 great employees that I am trying to keep employed and it's not easy these days.
Just be patient and you will benefit from our commitment to disc golf.  Both the GCFDA and The Nati Disc Golf.

perica
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 12:08:55 AM

I think the brush clearing is great. That's been going on for a long time before the disc golf shop went in. It is also much cleaner out there. I haven't seen 'old' hole 3 yet and this wall you speak of.

The only hindrance I see is the lack of parking that doesn't really have an economical fix if hole 1 is going to stay by the shop. I don't foresee an underground parking garage getting installed anytime soon.
andersab
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:52:31 AM

Suicidal wrote:

Be happy that people (other than you) are out there and care about the courses, that pin placement could be moved by the park due to erosion.  It will eventually be flat and allow you to skip off back down the hill, just wait for it.  Thanks for your non-constructive criticism.

BTW, that was my idea and instigation and has been since last year.  I just got around to doing it WITH the help of Fred and the approval of Adam.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 8:29:44 AM

Ask questions first, fire critiques second! Try to volunteer your time if you'd like to help with changes that are inevitable. BTW since I've lived here I have played Airy around 300 times and it has always been Hairy. Stop being the ultra-conservatives of Disc Golfers and embrace the delta. Now, to save hole 11(old 16).bury
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 9:16:16 AM

They want you to move the old 16 now? Oh no, that sucks but im not all against it, its one of my enemies on that course! Im sure you guys already have a decision on what to do with it, but i always thought it would be really cool (if possible) if you put it on the other side of the bridge (behind the original pin placement) so that dry creek comes into play a little bit. But i guess erosion would still be a problem because you would still have to walk down the same path to get to it! Just please dont make it more of an anhyzer! This course already has enough holes were you have to yank your disc to get it to anhyzer a long way! LOL
andersab
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 9:30:37 AM

Adam has a list and has been trying to prioritze with the parks... hence all the work days that he scheduled at the beginning of the year, prior to all the tournies starting. I think next month (September) you will see another work day scheduled.
nienaber
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:21:29 AM

just a quick comment...
I think what has been done at mt airy is awesome! I love telling people I live in Cincy because it is a true disc golf Mecca and it gets that status because the amateurs have a volunteer mentality and should always be appreciated! Unfortunatly Brad I am gonna be at the OSU-Purdue game the weekend of the pig but my Uncle writes for the Sports page in the Cincy Enquirer and if you havent' had any contact about getting an article about the tourney I could see if he is interested in it...I think we could have some more clout since ESPN did an article I could convince him to atleast try...
Tim Tim
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 11:01:43 AM

Yea an article in the paper for the tourney... that'd be sweet!
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 4:54:06 PM

Sounds like a fun green when you get done with it. Ill take the board saving my disc for now im pretty beat by that hole any way.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:05:03 AM

anyone interested in a few volunteer work days prior to the pig?
Thinkin this weekend for a few hours each day like 9-11 or so
contact me here or pm or phone if available, thanks
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 8:08:33 AM

Bump...see prior post
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 10:02:45 AM

Saturday 9-11
any volunteers available?, just have 2 so far.
A few more would be great.
T_Vincent
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 3:43:33 PM

Adam,

Where do you want to meet? So we know, and so any others that may join will know.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 5:48:21 PM

Let's all meet at the Nati Pro shop.
I have gloves and stuff but feel free to bring anything.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:44:27 AM

With the Fall season in full swing and our DG season coming to a close soon we will be hitting the course hard for renovations. The Teepad project has been submitted to the park board for approval and we are just waiting for their response. Alternate pin locations will be going in and we will need lots of help with getting those areas ready and fixing up the originals. I will be posting in advance of future work days and like in the past I do require feedback as to who will be attending to help coordinate projects with the park dept.. Just a fyi, Lou Sand who was the crew leader of the west side parks was called back into action to serve in the military and is on his way to the middle east, please keep him in your prayers and thoughts and hope for a safe and speedy return. He was the person we dealt with the most when doing these renovations for the past few years. I will be posting soon as to when we will be working on the course. Thanks for all the support and looking forward to bringing Mt.Airy up to par and beyond.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:06:49 PM

I was able to get out last week and take some new fall photo's of the course, you can find them here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41513