Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
StorminSteve
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:07:42 PM

Who won the event Sat ?
skottyb
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 9:08:14 AM

coming in from out of town on Sunday.. anyone playing. I havent played mt. airy for about 2 years and I've heard it's changed quite a bit.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:02:21 PM

Adam, any update on the regalvanizing of the baskets and have you heard anything from the parks on the tee pads and signs? I didn't make the last meeting and don't see the minutes posted anywhere.  This would be a good time for most of that kind of work.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:34:51 AM

I am working very hard on getting all that taken care of, problem is we are at the mercy of the Park department. I have given them all the info and I have been calling and emailing them every other day with no response for awhile now. Hopefully I will hear something from them real soon. This is the frustrating part, just waiting for them to decide.
cali
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:19:15 PM

May be cruisin through with a few buds Sunday.

Never played this course before and hear good things.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:24:48 AM

what time do you plan on hitting up Airy Cali? might get a few locals to come and show ya the course.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:20:23 PM

Adam, did you guys give any thought to my proposal to galvanize the baskets. The baskets belong to the club so I'm not sure why they couldn't be galvanized while the course is slow. They could get done in a week and it would give the course a break while it's so wet.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 7:55:00 AM

I know that, problem is back in the day those baskets did not come with sleeves like today. So I am trying to get the Park dept. to buy all the sleeves we need for the existing pin locations and all the alternate sleeves so we can do it all at the same time. I did get a hold of Larry this week and he was extremely apologetic for not returning my calls and emails. I will be meeting with him next week and should have a definite answer on this and other issues real soon. Current holes 1 and 3 actually have mach 2 chain assemblies and I am going to try and get Larry to get the mach 3 tops. We are getting off to a very slow start this year and with all the budget cuts I see the city are taking, things are going to be difficult and I have already started planing fundraising efforts/sponsorship to increase revenue for the course.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed and hopefully we can get all this and more accomplished this year. As soon as I get the go ahead from the Parks dept. we will be hard at work with the renovations and I will be calling on everyone and anyone to help out.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 11:46:24 AM

If the club is paying for the galvanizing which is the way I understand it, then why not get that out of the way now so you won't have to worry about it later. The basket and chain assembly will be the only parts that need galvanizing, the poles can stay in the ground until you are ready with the sleeves. It is an unnecessary expense to do the poles and no one will notice anyway. The shiny new chains and baskets will overwhelm the pole.

Times are tough for everyone and fundraising would be difficult these days so I don't understand why you need to raise money for the course, doesn't the club have a budget for course repair and up grades?
discndat
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 12:23:05 PM

Fred, he said that he, the club and the park are working on it. It's going to get done - just maybe not "right when Fred wants it done". As John Stossel says "gimme a break"!
andersab
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 1:31:53 PM

discndat wrote:
Fred, he said that he, the club and the park are working on it. It's going to get done - just maybe not "right when Fred wants it done". As John Stossel says "gimme a break"!

Yeah Fred, they've been working on since 2008 (that one meeting at the park office with club officers).  Maybe there will be more meetings where nothing gets settled and we can continue to just wait (till 20??).   

I'm with you... its a shame that no organization takes responsibility for Mt. Airy DGC.
discndat
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 1:36:31 PM

The club bought the baskets, Adam has been working with the Park for the last couple of years and we are galvanizing the baskets. More?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 11:36:15 PM

Dan, the baskets were donated by club "members" not the club. I'm as patient as anybody but this is ridiculous. It's been way over a year and nothing has been done.
Galvanizing is something we can do before the parks can decide what they plan to do. Pete always preached the sqeaky wheel gets the grease. Call me "squeaky".
Adam, we/I appreciate your patience and work, don't give up on us, we'll be there when the time comes.
Madmike
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 11:46:27 PM

Dont make me separate you two!!!
perica
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:28:44 AM

Fred Salaz wrote:
The baskets belong to the club

Fred Salaz wrote:
Dan, the baskets were donated by club "members" not the club.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, unless you mean that the baskets were donated by club members to the club, there are some holes in your story.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:03:57 AM

I'll make this easy for ya's. Club members and a few business's made donations to purchase the baskets when the course was put in. As soon as they where in the ground they all became property of Cincinnati Parks department and we no longer own anything on their land. This being said, they where basically donated to the city and all the people of our community. That is why I am trying so hard to get the Parks to set aside part of their budget for course maintenance and renovations.

I will be in need of volunteers very soon on the weekends, I will try to schedule this around other events but sometimes that is unavoidable.
more to come soon and thanks for the support and patience.
Jay Dub
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:02:55 AM

I donated one hole at Mt Airy, that had nothing to do with the club.
StorminSteve
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:32:47 PM

AdamJ wrote:
I As soon as they where in the ground they all became property of Cincinnati Parks department and we no longer own anything on their land. .

Sounds like it is the park district that should doing  the repairs,
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:51:56 AM

I agree...  but we all know if you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself unfortunately
Jay Dub
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:54:32 AM

I remember a time when Scott Schmidt took his truck with his welder to every basket at Mt Airy and welded them to their posts so they would not get stolen. The day he did that we were playing on then hole #2 (now #15) when a Cincinnati police car drove by and stopped. The officer asked us why that truck was at the bottom of the hill, we explained, he said OK and drove off.
I do believe work can be done at that course by others besides the parks department but of course I would also make sure the parks dept. knows you're going to do it before hand.

My 2 extra cents.
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:04:46 AM

The officers or Park Rangers don't really have anything to do with Park department, more like just a sub-division of the police department. They just make rational decisions based on what they hear and see. I have met and talked to a few of them in the past and now they know me and what we do at the Park. They even stop and wave us down to talk to them when I'm out there with park employees. They be like,.."what ya doin out here"? and we would say,"working for the man, just working for the man."

Attention: looks like this week we will be getting the baskets re-galvanized so don't be alarmed if you go to Airy to play a round and see only poles for baskets. they will be back in about a week or so. In the meantime this is a chance for those to try some object golf like way back in the past before we had traditional baskets.

Thanks for the patience and support, more to come soon.
cyrusf1
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:40:48 PM

As of Thursday, **all the old DGA baskets are out** for re-galvanization.

Thanks to those who are contributing to this effort.

Can't wait to see the baskets shine after they're back in!
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:35:18 AM

Thank you Adam for continuing to work with the parks department. Bureaucracy can be a long and frustrating ordeal. The bigger the business the worse it is and government is the king. If the baskets must come out it makes sense to galvanize and do sleeves at the same time.
Tim Tim
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:37:00 PM

They are going to look great when they are done and back in the ground. Glad to see such things are being done to preserve the greatness of this course =)
cyrusf1
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:39:52 PM

Does anyone know if the baskets are back in?  I want to go today, but not if I cant hear the sound of chains.