Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:03:37 PM

Huge thanks to all my peeps that showed up and helped out.
Park guys and Mt.Airy Town Council board members where very happy with our support.
Its because of showings like this that we are able to create better relationships with our Parks and those involved.

We will be focusing on erosion control projects hopefully very shortly to which I will need a lot of help.
As soon as I hear when I will be calling again for volunteers.
GStrick
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 2:02:07 PM

Adam, you got any rakes for the load of mulch on the fairway of 11?
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 12:47:17 AM

I plan on borrowing some from the Park, should be able to get them on monday and have them at the Nati disc shop.
gonna try and get more mulch delivered later this week also.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, July 02, 2010 5:06:38 PM

Quick FYI, Park Department Tree Crew has been going through the course and taking down any dangerous fallen or falling trees(Hangers), this includes any dead ones that will fall eventually. This is just something they have to do regardless of the course being here. Before you all get upset and start yelling at each other or me, get over it, we will have plenty of time and resources to plant new trees in the future. This may also cause certain areas to be very dangerous till the clean up is finished (Hole 1 right side rough, Just stay out of there).

I will be needing volunteers soon for the alternate pin positions clearing. I will post a week in advance of those days.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:06:58 AM

The next 2 weeks I will be doing some course work getting ready for the FPO. Since their are a lot of things going on all weekend every weekend I plan on being at Airy on weekdays around 5pm on several days. This Friday will be the first day if anyone is interested in coming out to help give me a shout. 513-255-7275

I am going down to Pride Park with a few others this Wednesday at 3:30 to walk the course and get a new plan together.

FYI update from the Park Department: We where approved for new baskets, sleeves and materials needed and are awaiting the arrival of these as soon as the Park orders them. I was hoping to have this finished prior to the FPO but it looks like it will be after the event. Larry Parker, myself and two volunteer groups renovated the trail from hole 16 to 17. We will be working on other similar projects soon and I will post those days for those willing to help out.

Thanks for all the support.
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:16:17 AM

Great work Adam! What will happen to the re-galvanized baskets once the new ones are in at Mt. Airy?
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:27:50 AM

Nevermind I read the minutes from the meeting and it's mentioned there.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:54:55 AM

I am considering working at Airy this weekend but weather looks bad for Saturday so I may be out there on Sunday. Will post details soon.
We are currently going through the process of scheduling the new basket and alternate sleeve installation. I will need a few people to help with this project and will need to do it during the week. As soon as we figure out the schedule I will let ya all know.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:04:09 AM

Weather is looking better so here are the details.

Saturday March 12th Work day at Airy from 9am till Noon.
Sunday March 13th Work day at Airy from 9am till Noon.
Bring : gloves, shovels, rakes, or any other hand tools you would like to bring.
Meet at The Nati Pro shop.
Project details TBA later.
As always please contact me somehow if you plan on attending to help me organize effectively.
Adam    513-255-7275
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 10:23:52 AM

Thanks to Tony V and Shawn M for helping out this weekend.
If we are going to accomplish everything we need to renovate our courses we need a much better turn out for these work days.
It is truly sad to see we have so many active players and yet so few are actually willing to help out.
I hear from so many that they want to but when the day comes to show, like this Sunday, I was the only one.
Since we are currently working on several projects at 5 courses this is going to be a super busy year and we will need a ton of support.
Please consider sacrificing a few hours of your time on occasion and come out to a work day and help support your club and the community.
Basically, try and put yourself in my shoes. think of how difficult it can be in trying to plan larger projects that will require 5 to 10 people to accomplish and then you don't get any responses from others that they can attend or not. How we progress this year is totally in your hands.

I will post work day schedule for this weekend tomorrow after I talk with the Parks dept.
jammydee
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 2:18:30 PM

Is there a work day tomorrow here? I'm available to help out. If so, what should I bring?
Old Bassman
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 7:22:49 PM

Yes, there is a work day tomorrow at Mt Airy.
This info is from Adam:

"Saturday April 2nd we will be working at Mt.Airy from 9am till 11,11:30. Come on out and help with the course work and then stick around for the Doubles at Airy.

Sunday April 3rd we will be at Goshen from 9am till we leave. We will continue clearing the fairways. "
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:07:53 AM

Quick FYI update: We are currently working on scheduling the install of the alternate basket locations. As soon as the dates are set, which looks like it could be the last week of April, I will post the dates and times. This will be during the week and we will need 4-6 volunteers to help out. The Cincinnati Parks maintenance crew will be in charge and have everything we need as far as materials and equipment. All proposed areas have been approved and until the install date we will be working on clearing out a few of the greens that need it.

Local Boy Scouts will be constructing new benches for every hole, materials are in and construction should begin soon.

Other smaller projects will be posted soon on the volunteer section and at the Nati Pro shop.

Thanks to those that came out last weekend to help, we continued clearing out the green on hole 3 and the area behind 17's tee.
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:30:29 PM

Excellent news! Thanks, Adam, for your persistence and hard work to initiate and achieve this unprecedented assistance from the Cincinnati Parks. It just goes to show the power of volunteering, since the volunteer events/hours Adam has organized and reported to the Parks is a big reason why they are now responding to his requests.
DiscHead
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 1:57:41 AM

Yea, this is some great news. Good work Adam...really looking forward to playing some alternate pin-placements at Airy!  
Depending on when you've scheduled the work; I may be able to help, if needed.
btw: Kudos to the boy scouts thumbsup
A bench on every hole will be a welcomed addition i'm sure.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 7:57:41 AM

Thanks guys, patience and persistence can pay off.

We are asking for hole sponsors from local business's and want to offer this up to those that want to contribute as-well. If you or a group of friends would like to sponsor a hole at Airy or Goshen or Lebanon please contact me at 513-255-7275. We have different costs for each course to help cover material costs for these courses. Details for each course will need to be discussed in person or by phone.
Hope to see ya's tomorrow at AJ Jolly, despite the weather.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:00:13 AM

Local Eagle scout project is nearing completion and very soon we will have new benches at every Tee box.
IF you happen to out this Saturday at Airy and see them installing the benches, let them know how thankful we are of their help and support.

Reminder: Tuesday May 17th, 7am: we will be installing the alternate basket sleeves and could use as much help as we can get.
Please call Adam at 513-255-7275 if you want to help.
morticite
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 10:09:04 AM

We went there yesterday and saw the new red baskets. They were fun! Some were kinda thrown into some nastier wooded areas which I'd guess need a bit more clean up. It looks like these are permanent alternate pins? Every hole had them except the old 17 (12 now?). New benches and mulch look great. The signs were pretty beat up, but if these alternate pins are permanent I'm guessing they may be replaced. Old 3's tee was pretty muddy (it had just rained the night before). It looks like it just needs some more rock near the tee area. Great job to everyone! Thank you!
greenhills
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:04:25 AM

Are the baskets at Mt.Airy still in the new positions? Thinking of playing there today if they are.

thanks.....
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:59:02 AM

Course layout is probably the same as the tournament, which had all original pin locations including old 7 and 8 in the woods. Those two will be playable for several more weeks. Holes 7,8,9 are in shorter pin locations. Old holes 7 and 8 will be referred to as holes A and B for future use.

CFR Discs are for sale at the Nati Pro shop.
Working on scheduling the next work days at this course and others.
JEFFV
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:36:42 PM

How about we make Mt. Airy and Banklick a pay to play course just for the spring-fall...$2 a day or whatever just gotta do something about the major traffic & the disrespectful ppl.... and have most of the money going towards course improvements! I don't think it would kill the game it would make the game more professional which would look good for the GAME..What do u think?
the brumley
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:38:59 AM

I don’t like the 2 dollars idea. Mt. Airy and Banklick are course that people from out of town come play, and a 2 dollar course entrance fee might drive some people away. But thanking 2 dollars will stop traffic build up on the course, just look at Woodland mound and Winton woods.
Yah I get mad when casuals are playing slow in front of me but the game is for every one.There will allways be disrespecful people in every thing you do it is just some thing you have live with. But most casual players play with just with a few disc and play quick.
And making money for the course why not have a tournament that donates money to the courses.
But what course improvements can u do to bank lick and Mt. Airy they are amazing course. Instead of improving great course why not improve courses not being played a lot like pride park, gully park, and a lot of the 9 hole courses around Cincinnati. But that is just my opinion I would love to see a fundraiser tournament.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:26:05 AM

Cincinnati Parks are currently looking into the possibilities of having Mt.Airy be a pay to play course. Next club meeting will be discussing this with the Parks West Side superintendent Larry Parker. Much info to discuss on that topic. Plus we still have lots of work to finish at Airy, 9 more sleeves to install, several greens to clean up so they will be playable, then all new signage, and working on redesigning for safety issues on holes 13 and 12.
Pride park has been officially closed for the past 4 years and they are undergoing a huge new master plan for the Park, more info in the Pride park thread.
Gully Park has been more than difficult to deal with and we don't have a great relationship with their Park manager yet, he still insists on charging us a $500 event fee to run a tournament their, hence the reason we haven't had one in awhile.

We still have plenty of those CFR Mt.Airy Centennial full color buzzz's for sale($25)which all the funds from those go to the course, please stop by the Nati Shop to get yours.

We will be working at Williamsburg next week to prep and get the New Tee pads installed prior to the CCS.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:54:35 PM

Would love to see Banklick a PTP course. More scum there than any other course...Had several discs stolen there-my brother had his whole bag stolen there.
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:22:08 PM

Kind of curious how Cincy parks plan on making Airy pay to play since you can park almost any where along the course and step out and play. I agree with the scum at banklick but I wont pay to play disc golf unless it's a park where I dont have to worry about dog walkers, BBQers, and any other than disc golf going on at the park. Yesterday at Idle some guy is just randomly hitting golf balls on 15 we thought no biggie he will move, no starts throwing more balls down and hitting them. We yelled up he waved us in then when I yell fore he didnt even turn, If I were paying to play and this happened I would be furious. If you look at Airy's layout the way it is I would never pay to play there. Now a course like Cabin Creek where I dont have to worry about any body but other golfers Ill pay for that. I could see ptp working better at Bank than Airy since there is less parking areas and the golf course is secluded from most other park activities. Just hope they would spend some of the money made on signs detering people from walking into the course.